Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 11-01-2018, 08:51 AM

Default Play AAX and Pro Tools - Need more Ram!

Hello All,

I've encountered a strange memory/ram issue when using Play within Pro Tools and I keep getting a "Physical RAM is getting low" message.
Pro Tools ram usage skyrockets to 100% when loading pianos in Play, yet loading the same Play piano patch in Cubase and Logic, works perfectly fine.

Anyone else using Play AAX with Pro Tools 2018 that could test it out? I would like to determine whether this is a Pro Tools or Play bug.
I'm loading the following: Pianos Platinum->Steinway D->Full Patches->stwy Master.

Thanks,
Ever
Apogee Symphony IO mkii
Old 11-01-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Play AAX and Pro Tools - Need more Ram!

I use Play AAX on both Mac and Windows, and have not encountered this problem. I use the Steinway master a lot. Both of my machines have 16 GB RAM. Check that Play is up to date, and that the Grand Pianos library is up to date. If so, check that all your other plugins are up to date.

I have noticed the sad fact that EastWest doesn't play well with brainworx. If you have any bx plugs in the session, deactivate them, close and reopen, and see if the problem goes away.

You probably know this, but if you open any instance of Play, there's a field usually in the lower right quadrant that shows you the total amount of RAM Play is using.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-01-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
I use Play AAX on both Mac and Windows, and have not encountered this problem. I use the Steinway master a lot. Both of my machines have 16 GB RAM. Check that Play is up to date, and that the Grand Pianos library is up to date. If so, check that all your other plugins are up to date.

I have noticed the sad fact that EastWest doesn't play well with brainworx. If you have any bx plugs in the session, deactivate them, close and reopen, and see if the problem goes away.

You probably know this, but if you open any instance of Play, there's a field usually in the lower right quadrant that shows you the total amount of RAM Play is using.
Never had any issues with the combination of Play and any plugins from Brainworx and I have plenty of plugins from them. What version of the Play engine are you all using? I've used everything from the last version of Play 5 and now Play 6 with zero problems.

That message 'physical ram is getting low' is coming from PT and has nothing to do with Play or any other vi. Play will natter at you if you go to load the whole sample file into ram and say something like 'loading this uses such & such an amount of ram'. The default in Play is to only load a bare minimum of the sample set and disk stream the rest.

What may be an issue is how much ram cache are each of you using in PT?

QAPLA!
Old 11-01-2018, 12:12 PM

I keep Play and its libraries up to date, except for a brief time of rolling back to the last version of 5 when 6.0.0 broke Word Builder. Check all my plugins about once a quarter.

PT Disk Playback Cache size: Default.

The ew/bx conflict could be Windows only.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-01-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
is using.
Should've mentioned that I'm testing it out with just one instrument track in a new project. I'm on the latest version of Play.
Play is only showing 356mb of RAM being used. Also, I'm using Pro Tools with 10.13.6 which might be the culprit since it's not compatible.

Thanks Guys!
Apogee Symphony IO mkii
Old 11-01-2018, 12:17 PM

Same thing here, I have my Cache size set to: Normal
Apogee Symphony IO mkii
Old 11-01-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evermore View Post
Hello All,

I've encountered a strange memory/ram issue when using Play within Pro Tools and I keep getting a "Physical RAM is getting low" message.
Pro Tools ram usage skyrockets to 100% when loading pianos in Play, yet loading the same Play piano patch in Cubase and Logic, works perfectly fine.

Anyone else using Play AAX with Pro Tools 2018 that could test it out? I would like to determine whether this is a Pro Tools or Play bug.
I'm loading the following: Pianos Platinum->Steinway D->Full Patches->stwy Master.

Thanks,
Ever
I have had this same issue for years. Back when they were on version 4.3.X I had made a support issue. I had explained the issue, it was verified by East/West support and they hoped to have it fixed in the next release of Play. That was multiple versions ago. As soon as my account information is available (for some reason tonight I just get a ticking circle) I will post the information I received.

MacBook Pro Max 64GB ram 2TB SSD, 8TB & 4TB External SSD, Ventura 13.6.3, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12, Pro Tools Carbon, Apollo 8 Quad Black Lion Mod, Apollo X4, UAD Octo, Avid S3, Avid Dock
Old 11-01-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks,

Ever

I have had this issue with Drumcore 4 on my Mac when downloading my sample libraries. Once downloading is complete and I restart pro tools i don’t get the 100% memory usage. That sure that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-01-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks,
Ever
First, I must say my memory fails me. Even though I had the issue with Play 4 I did not make a support ticket until Play 5. I had the issue with the Yamaha piano at the time and have the same issue that you described. Below, is the back and forth fro East/West. Sorry for the long winded conversation. Please read this from the bottom up.

3/29/2017 2:12 pm Earl Size Ok, do you have any idea when the next update will come out?

Thanks,

Earl Size

From: "East West Communications, Inc." <[email protected]>
Reply-To: "East West Communications, Inc." <cases.825856.705930_8207571_154672.3f35c23836@cas es.netsuite.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 1:36 PM
To: Earl Size <[email protected]>
Subject: Case Update: 102378 - Play 5 maxing out ram with Yamaha platinum

Update for Case 102378 - "Play 5 maxing out ram with Yamaha platinum"

I talked to our QA and they said that even though you get that read out it should not effect performance, and you should still be able to load other instruments as well.
It still needs to be fixed, hopefully by the next update.

Click here to update the Case online, or reply to this email

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message History
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 03/29/2017 (more...) Yes Rhys B Moody No
5 View 3/29/2017 1:36 pm Rhys B Moody I talked to our QA and they said that even though you get that read out it should not effect performance, and you should still be able to load other instruments as well.
It still needs to be fixed, hopefully by the next update. Yes Earl Size No
6 View 3/29/2017 11:25 am Earl Size Hi,

Good I am glad the issue was repeatable. Let me know how things work out. If you need a tester, I would be happy to do so.

Thanks,

Earl Size Yes No
7 View 3/28/2017 7:08 pm Rhys B Moody the weird thing is it only happens with the pianos, I loaded a huge Hollywood strings patch with all mics and it only used 7% Yes Earl Size No
8 View 3/28/2017 7:00 pm Rhys B Moody Yes you are right, i have 64gigs and it is uses 28% with a one mic piano not good, reporting to developers now. Yes Earl Size No
9 View 3/28/2017 12:50 pm Earl Size Hi,

I made a test this morning. I created a new session with a master fader and a mono and stereo instrument tracks. I loaded Play on the mono track only. The PT memory was at 5%. I loaded the Yamaha C7 master and as it was loading the file the PT memory gradually increased to 100%. I made the mono track inactive and the PT memory decreased to 23%. I then added Play to the stereo track and loaded the C7. The PT memory increased to 100%. I saved the session.

I hope this helps…

Earl Size

From: "East West Communications, Inc." <[email protected]>
Reply-To: "East West Communications, Inc." <cases.825856.705930_8196936_154672.955353df31@cas es.netsuite.com>
Date: Monday, March 27, 2017 at 3:45 PM
To: Earl Size <[email protected]>
Subject: Case Update: 102378 - Play 5 maxing out ram with Yamaha platinum

The cache level is set to 1 for and ssd drive and 3 for a 7200 spindle drive. It d (more...) Yes Rhys B Moody No
10 View 3/27/2017 8:24 pm Earl Size Hi,

I checked that I had street from disk checked. Attached is the screen shot. The Protools memory max out happens as soon as I load the session.

Thanks!

Earl Size

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 3:45 PM, East West Communications, Inc. <[email protected]> wrote:

The cache level is set to 1 for and ssd drive and 3 for a 7200 spindle drive. It does not load into ram unless you check the load into ram unless the stream from disk in the main menu is unchecked.
I have the same mac pro and loaded it in PT 12.7
Look at the memory read out in play (bottom right on the play interface)
For loading the yamaha platinum with
one mic 386mb
two mics 780mb
three mics1.159 gb

Protools is showing 8 gigs used out of my 64 in the activity monitor.
Do you have a screen shot you can send, we might have to team view your computer to see what is going on.

Click here to update the Case online, or reply to this (more...) Yes Rhys B Moody Yes Screen Shot 2017-03-27...
11 View 3/27/2017 3:45 pm Rhys B Moody The cache level is set to 1 for and ssd drive and 3 for a 7200 spindle drive. It does not load into ram unless you check the load into ram unless the stream from disk in the main menu is unchecked.
I have the same mac pro and loaded it in PT 12.7
Look at the memory read out in play (bottom right on the play interface)
For loading the yamaha platinum with
one mic 386mb
two mics 780mb
three mics1.159 gb

Protools is showing 8 gigs used out of my 64 in the activity monitor.
Do you have a screen shot you can send, we might have to team view your computer to see what is going on. Yes Earl Size No
12 View 3/26/2017 6:08 pm Earl Size Hi, I have a Mac Pro 2013 20 gb ram quad processor running Sierra. This happened on Yosemite as well. Running play 5 latest version on Protools 12.7.1

I have one instance of play running pianos platinum Yamaha. No other tracks. When I load the piano it maxes out the ram to 100%. I have goofed around with the cache form 0 to 5. At 5 it gave me 97%. I have played with the sample size from smallest to largest with no difference in the ram utilization. Play cannot be using 10+ Gb of ram for the sample. Any suggestions?

Thanks ,

Earl Size

MacBook Pro Max 64GB ram 2TB SSD, 8TB & 4TB External SSD, Ventura 13.6.3, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12, Pro Tools Carbon, Apollo 8 Quad Black Lion Mod, Apollo X4, UAD Octo, Avid S3, Avid Dock
Old 11-01-2018, 06:53 PM

Default Play AAX and Pro Tools - Need more Ram!

I’ll be following this thread. I have a Mac and have the same issue. Two workarounds. One is VEP / when I use that I get no memory problems. Or rob RAM from one of my other computers, also using VEP.

PT 11.3, latest VEP, 2016 MBProR with 16gb RAM, running Yosemite. Will not be upgrading Bc I want to own my license and PT is rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!