Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2008, 03:38 PM

Default Control 24 \"Scribble Strips\" - two displays not working

On my Control 24 "scribble strips" #21 and #22 are out (no display). Running the "Vegas" test mode I could get them back by a little light tapping on the display window. Then they'd go out again. But now, no tapping brings them back. All other scribble strips work fine.

I just replaced the power supply with a new one sent by Digi 6/3/08. Board is up and running. So it wasn't that.

Before I put it back in the console, I thought I'd ask if anyone else had dealt with the problem themselves and what they did.

Does it sound like bad connection on just those two displays?

Thank you for any info on this!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Control 24 \"Scribble Strips\" - two displays not working

With the control24, the only way to get all those issues fixed - and i mean once and for all - is to replace ALL connectors with new molex 3-contact crimp terminal and housings.

Forget the cleaning part if your connectors are loose enough just like mine were. Of course a bit of Deoxit and Progold after re-installation of new connectors is not a bad thing to do also.

You can search the DUC / control 25 for the complete instructions by typing MOLEX.

Once i did that last December 07', i did not experienced anything anymore and its been 6 months that the board is running almost 15 hours a day.

Good luck,

MP Dual 3.66mhz ( 6-Cores) / 128GB / SDD 8TB
OSX Sonoma 14.4

Dan Desilets
Mix/Mastering Engineer, Guitarist, Composer
New Website live @ www.yuccamusic.ca
Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the reply and the info Dan. One more question.

I took the bottom and back panels off to get a better look. We are talking about all the white "power connectors" right??, not the ribbon cables? I was supprised when putting in the new power supply how loose the connections fit. No wonder they hot glued everything. What a stupid way to say a few pennies.

Did you do the modifications yourself?

Why would just two displays would go out as opposed to a "bank"??

Thanks!!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:16 PM

Exact same problem here on strips 13 & 14.

These parts available from Digi direct?

Thanks for the info.

Now if i could just clean up the TB mic.

S
Old 06-06-2008, 05:19 AM

Right. All the power connectors (all connections on the PSU in and out for instance) and not the ribbon ones. The connector that makes the most sense in fixing your 2 scribble strip would be the TB4 connector which is a 3 pin, not properly sitting on the PSU because of all the loose connectors which come factory installed.

Once you wil installl the new 3 contact grip Molex - you'll see what i mean - try to disconnect them:)

They will be 100% secure - free of vibrations.

MP Dual 3.66mhz ( 6-Cores) / 128GB / SDD 8TB
OSX Sonoma 14.4

Dan Desilets
Mix/Mastering Engineer, Guitarist, Composer
New Website live @ www.yuccamusic.ca
Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 AM

Hey guys,
Just a follow up on my problem. I talked to Digi this morning and we surmised that I probably just had defective "displays" in channel bar control board #3. Since the scribble strip displays are on (3) channel bar control boards with banks of "8" displays, it would makes sense that a whole bank would go out if it were a power supply connection problem. My Control 24 is out of warranty so if I install the replacement board, it's about $240 (with exchange)and $950 for Digi to do it.

The Digi rep sent me a PDF with a step by step on how to do the install. Looking at the whats involved, I think I'll let Digi do the repair.

I just wouldn't have the time (or patience )
Old 07-25-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Mowry View Post
Hey guys,
Just a follow up on my problem. I talked to Digi this morning and we surmised that I probably just had defective "displays" in channel bar control board #3. Since the scribble strip displays are on (3) channel bar control boards with banks of "8" displays, it would makes sense that a whole bank would go out if it were a power supply connection problem. My Control 24 is out of warranty so if I install the replacement board, it's about $240 (with exchange)and $950 for Digi to do it.

The Digi rep sent me a PDF with a step by step on how to do the install. Looking at the whats involved, I think I'll let Digi do the repair.

I just wouldn't have the time (or patience )
Kevin,

My channels were 9&10. I also had an overall dimming of scribble displays which ultimately became unbearable. When I found the dimming problem, my two intermittently but usually bad channels became normal.

I'm sure shipping is a big part of the $950 repair, but nevertheless, this is the tech support equivalent of asking $5,000 to repair the headlights on your car by sending it to the factory. You should be furious.

The C24 is a very field-repairable device. Or at least it would be if Digi chose to support it by offering technical advice, schematics and parts to owners, just like the rest of the world of professional electronics.

Though I have not investigated the actual cause of a single pair going intermittent, my technical experience tells me that they are somewhat sensitive to supply voltage. My overall scribble dimming seemed directly related to a worsening of the intermittent pair in my controller. When I finally opened it up and located the guilty molex at the PSU, my intermittent pair bounced immediately back to normal behavior and has stayed that way.

Here's two solutions:

Pull the molexes one at a time, clean the oxidation of the exposed pin half of the connector and reseat the receptacle side (the nylon block). This step will tell you if your channel pair is ok like mine was.

Photo for documentation; then pull all molexes to free the PSU. Change the PCB pins to the gold version Molex sells for their serious customers, then replace the receptacle pins as well with the gold version. I have done this on recorders, consoles, etc; and enjoyed a long peaceful coexistence with previously annoying gear.

The gold solution is a bit of work, and you can be selective as opposed to cleaning the whole ship, but if you otherwise love the controller and have the resources (time) the cost is minimal - way less than $240 to do the entire console.

A third and very valid choice is to simply cut off the receptacle end of the offending connectors and solder the relevant wires directly to the PCB Molex pin. Do a very clean job or have someone who can do it for you. It ain't rocket science, but quality is everything with soldering. I have done an entire MCI JH416 console like this and was very happy I did. It was cheap, easy, and rock-solid reliable, with virtually zero downside.

Peter