Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-10-2008, 09:11 AM

Default Thoughts of LE

Hi,

I just have to vent. Iīve been using protools (LE at my home and HD3 at our studio) for years now and as I like the HD very much the LE seems just like a joke. Itīs way too expensive and very limited, even with the music production toolkit installed. First, I have MBOX 2 Pro at my home and the preamps are really nothing to speak about. Digital I/O is only one way ?! So you canīt record and playback simultaneusly. I thought this would be so obvious that I even didnīt check it and now Iīm switching my lavry blue constantly. At least midi in/out works as one would think so perhaps thatīs the PRO part here. I also thought that there would be 48 instrument channels, but thereīs only 32. Why on earth to limit the count ? The only reason I "upgraded" to Mbox2 Pro was that the original MBOX2 connects via USB and it gave me a constant and very audible (high)tone when I opened Protools. I learnt that this was to do with the USB grounding and since the PRO had wirefire, it now works without "external" voices. Also the build quality looks very cheap. (like the HDs interface boxes also look very cheap, but thatīs not really an issue I think..). Btw. I had MIAMIDI card when I had PC years ago, and it had miles better ADDA than the Digi Le hardware still. I think it was 130 euros.

Also the software that comes with the ignition pack 1 (I know itīs discontinued) was pretty lame, with the exception of Reasond and TLSPACE perhaps. XPAND (Which ironically you canīt expand sounds just bad and I would not use it on any commercial project. Ok for scetching though. Iīm mostly using Le as a sequencer (external/soft) and doing all the audio processing at our studio, so I thought it would be enough for sequencing only.

I know Iīm paying for the software and I very much like it, but all the accessories just yell horror, especially if you even think about the PRO part here. Mayby Iīm taking it too literally? Behringer also makes PRO products and I can adjust to that properly (eventhough I donīt own anything else than a cabletester from them). I also understand that Digi really canīt make the LE "better" businesswise. I wouldnīt if I were Digi and would like to sell more HDs.

Iīm just saying this because I hope that somebody would have brought this to my attention when I was figuring out what to buy. I wouldīve saved a lot of money and perhaps I wouldīve spent it on another HD setup (most likely) or something else like Logic/Cubase, but really LE isnīt worth the hassle in my opinion. Especially if you think that Logic/Cubase is lurking out there.

Yours,
Jonne Valtonen
Old 05-10-2008, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Thoughts of LE

Well, there certainly is no lack of material out there that you could have used to research products before you buy. Sorry that no-one miraculously had ESP of your phone number to call you and tell you exactly what to get. Maybe next time, try coming here FIRST and asking about what you should get, some people find it helpful to ask those with experience with products about them before purchasing. Also sorry that your $700 MBox 2 Pro doesn't stack up exactly to your $20,000 HD rig, you'd think they'd be completely identical despite the price difference right?

We could also probably help you with some of your issues, but it sounds like you don't want it. Thanks for posting your rant, now lets watch it quickly drift off the first page and into the DUC black hole of old, pointless posts.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:23 PM

I agree that LE can be frustrating. I have HD and LE, I don't expect to get the same performance. But many times I need to open a session, or a prep a session at home, or in a hotel room. And the restrictions on LE are tough. Why can't I have time code? Why can't I have the same session import functionality? Why is my track count limited? So I have to pay $1200 for time code? That feels like I'm being gauged. I'm all for buying the hardware for the performance, but I think the software should be the same. I don't know many folks who only work out of the studio anymore. But Digi is king (for now) so they can do whatever they want.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:58 AM

Couldn't agree more Slim. Why people don't do their research first is totally beyond me! Nobody heard of the six P's? .... if not i'm gonna spell it out for you. Perfect Preparation Prevents P*ss Poor Performance
Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 AM

I've long subscribed to the 5 P's; Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance, but I LOVE the 6 P's.
I couple it with; Your Lack Of Preparation Is Not My Emergency!
PTLE is amazing for a few hundred dollars compared with the Pro Tools 1.0 system that my studio bought in the early '90's.
For Timecode workarounds look at this forum;
http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/...ic.php?t=31671
Jonne:I have been the sound designer on numerous films that have been shown at the Tampere Short Film Festival - it really is an amazing festival - I am jealous that you can go every year!.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:21 AM

And when I complain about the same thing other users say that I whining. I totally agree with everything you are saying especially with the track count. 32 tracks may have been good years ago but now with more VI on the market and folks doing production in the box it is a joke

ctmusicman

www.stratfordtownstudios.com
[email protected]
Old 05-12-2008, 05:44 AM

Maybe it's just my awesome rig or something, but I sure as hell can record and playback at the exact same time.
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 05-12-2008, 02:55 PM

This also points to how bad lots of sales people are. Its amazing how often I hear a salesman telling a customer how great the "focusrite" mic pres are on the 002(NOT focusrite pre's) or how Mbox will work on any laptop(NOT as often as will).....Some of THOSE folks need to do some reading as well.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-13-2008, 04:40 AM

Once again am honest attempt to feedback real shortcomings of a LE system, which has multiple compatibility issues and performance issues (how much denial are some you guys in..), and which is over-sold by unscrupulous salespeople who answer every question with "yes Mbox can do that", is met with arrogant nerdish sarcasm by some members of this forum. You know who you are.

There are members on this forum who, through their derision of those newbies with valid frustration looking for help, belittle anyone who's ivory tower doesn't resemble there's, or who isn't IN THE KNOW like they are (the Secret Clubs, do you have handshakes..). Its pathetic.

Why post at all unless you can contribute positively. Why bother posting if just to put [bleep] on people who dare to raise a complaint about the system which they bought in good faith. So shut the F...up if you just want be condescending. This forum is not about wankers putting people down. That must be another forum.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:06 AM

Agreed on the timecode situation. It is absurd that Digi attempt to force you into buying a pack full of software you have no need for, or you might have already, just to get timecode functionality. TC is pretty basic, ok charge a bit more for it, but don't take the mickey with with these silly packs of old software (their noise reduction is about 15 years old and not worth a nickel), and charge an arm, a leg and a torso for it. Same for track counts.