Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2001, 02:28 PM

Default Parts Dealers

Hi,
I'm in the process of putting together a system for the 001. I've been reading the DUC and it has helped a lot in figuring out what parts to get, Thanks. My question is where everybody gets their parts from? Are there dealers on the web that have a good reputation or low prices?
Anybody have especially good experiences? Bad ones?

Also, on a different note - How are those Koolance watercooled cases? Has anyone used one on an Athlon 1.3? And how easy are they to set up?
Old 08-03-2001, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Parts Dealers

I used pricescan.com and pricewatch.com to find parts dealers. I got each component (mobo, chip, HD, etc.) from a different dealer if you can believe it. I had zero problems. I think these guys do a little bit of screening and monitoring to weed out the bad guys.
Old 08-03-2001, 09:57 AM

Hey Ovey,
I started out with scanning www.pricewatch.com for the best prices and I've ordered from about 7 different places now. I've found one that I do almost all my business with now and rarely go to pricewatch unless I'm price comparing. I've found www.newegg.com to be one of the best companies that I've ever done business with. I speak on Customer Service and I'm very picky when it comes to this area and these guys are the best with the best prices I have found anywhere. Rarely can you find that combo.
I also have the Koolance case and I'm loving it on my A7M266 with 1.33ghz AMD. Quietest case on the market. Another guy on the DUC recommended it to me and he is running an A7V133 with 1.33 ghz. He went for the lower end unit that had the water cooled power supply and hasn't had any problems yet. I have the high end unit 40.00 more with a fan cooled Sparkle 300W. I would wait for the new version to come out that will support 1.4Ghz+ and have an option to put your own power supply unit in. That way you can upgrade as processors get bigger. Hope that helps you out.
Allen [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2001, 03:23 PM

Hey,
Thanks for the help. Newegg.com was actually out of stock on most of the items I was looking for. I ended up going with googlegear.com and compuplus.com, both of which I found on pricewatch.com.
I also decided against the Koolance case for now, just for budget reasons.
I'll let you know how those dealers work out, Thanks again.