Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 AM

Default How do I send stereo audio out the Optical out (enc) on 192????

Greetings,
I have read through as many posts as I could find on this... I currently have mac audio routed out the mac's optical port into the spdif optical port on the 192 (the "encl" one). This works. So, I have all mac audio routed into an aux channel. I am now trying to figure out how to get sound from protools out through the spdif optical port (again, the "encl" one) into the mac's optical input. I do not understand how I select the "encl" optical out port.

In Digital Format I have Optical selected. On the input side, 15-16 says Opt(S/PDIF). On the output side it says Dgtl78(lfr) - and Digital Enc option is grayed out. I also checked the AMS setup and the Digital In says "locked" on the clock (sample rate/bit depth are all the same).

I know that the optical in on the mac is working fine because I can send it stereo audio and have it play back through my "mac audio" aux channel (side not - I have to use Audio Hijack to grab the incoming signal and route it back out of the mac). When I unplug from that optical source and plug into the 192... I get nothing. But, I am not even sure I have it set up correctly since I can't seem to select the "enc" output - and therefore I have no way of knowing if I am really sending anything out that "enc" port.

Sigh, if I get this working, I will be ecstatic. I am attempting to use Pro Tools as a "mixing board" in conjunction with Ableton Live on the same machine. So, audio routed into Pro Tools goes out the "enc" optical port, into the mac, into a channel in Live, which then goes out the mac optical output into the 192 "enc" optical input for monitoring in Pro Tools. Why am I doing this? Because Rewire only sends audio one way and I want to be able to use the plugins (like eleven) in PT, but record and arrange in Live.

Thanks,
Jared
Old 08-17-2009, 01:56 AM

Default Re: How do I send stereo audio out the Optical out (enc) on 192????

in the 'Hardware Setup' under the tab 'Main' the default settings for 'Output 1-2' is 'Analog 1-2'

with the control key pressed (on Mac, Windows don´t know) klick the 'Output 1-2' selector and choose 'Digital [Enc]'

after that you can see in the 'Output 1-2' Selector that it has changed to '+Analg 1-2', which means that both Analog and Digital Out are active

hope that helps

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 08-17-2009, 01:56 AM

Default Re: How do I send stereo audio out the Optical out (enc) on 192????

Figured it out (this dog couldn't walk from the hunt). I had Out 1-2 assigned to Analog 1-2 AND Digital Enc. I finally clued in to the + next to the assignment. Selected only Analog 1-2 and voila, Digital Enc finally showed up as an option for 15-16. It works! Now I can record guitar through Eleven into Live (and use the RTAS instruments!).

Thanks,
Jared