Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2009, 03:40 PM

Default Something we should all buy into...

http://www.pleasurizemusic.com/node/1

I'm sure I'm not the first to come across this, but they really have a good concept going. For those who haven't checked it out, give it a look. And get a free plugin while you're at it. I'm not the type to get up on soap boxes and such, but we all should push for standards like this. Strive for something a little better. Big thanks to RussUK for linking this on the AIR blog.

So what does everyone else think of a concept like this? Thoughts? I know its nothing new, but...
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 05-03-2009, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Something we should all buy into...

I'm intrigued. I plan to spend more time reading up on it and will likely try those plugins out of curiosity, if for no other reason.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-04-2009, 04:37 PM

Ya man! Let me know what you think...
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 PM

the article is a nice read, gives me high hopes as i am floating on cloud 9 thinking about how nice it would be.........then i come back to reality. record labels are gonna do what they want. the idea people download cause of quality is just crazy. no way this would ever happen. actually no way i think it COULD happen. think about it a bit, and think about the wallets of labels......

The community could make more of a push, and do what we can do to make this commitment, things like that, but dont see it going much further.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-04-2009, 07:02 PM

I was more interested in the idea itself, then really banging down the door of the Record Company. I'm sure there are people who love the way overcompressed music sound. Its definatly pumpin. It does make me happy that industry professionals care about this kind of stuff, and frankly it encourages me to abandon my push for more volume. Your totaly right though. The Lables are gonna do what they want to do. And sales are not driven by quality. That a given.

The key is, seeing the need, and making the commitment.

And getting fun free tools to help monitor that level of commitment.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:20 PM

The problem is most people don't really listen to music anymore.

It's a nice thought, but I don't need a RMS monitoring plug-in to tell me if something sounds good or not. The very fact that something like that exists tells me all I need to know about the current state of the recording business.

The two best tools you have for making, and enjoying music are on the sides of your head. Use them or don't.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
Is this really the case? Am I doing all this work for nothing?

If so, maybe it's in ALL of our best intrests to get out of music. I'd hate to be spending all my time making this stuff, if no one even hears it.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM

Cool Re: Something we should all buy into...

I think what may have been meant, and this seems to be more of what appears to be musics role these days, is that music is but a commodity.

Kinda like buying a t-shirt at Wal-Mart. Inexpensive, convenient and can be replaced quickly and easy with another should you change your fancy, get bored with it or soil that one.

Woe is us???...???... Hmmmmmm......

It is what it is...

ScrewMakerMusic
Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post

It's a nice thought, but I don't need a RMS monitoring plug-in to tell me if something sounds good or not. The very fact that something like that exists tells me all I need to know about the current state of the recording business.

The two best tools you have for making, and enjoying music are on the sides of your head. Use them or don't.
Sorry that's a poor argument. If you do work for TV and Film they are very strict about what level mixes are delivered. It's not to tell you if your mix sounds any good or not, just if it's on spec. No more than a thermometer in a kitchen makes you a chef, it just prevents food poisoning.

The two best tools for making music are your ears, what instrument do you play? I've heard of playing by ear, but I always hurt my head on the piano keys!

I appreciate Hack's post.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
It's not to tell you if your mix sounds any good or not, just if it's on spec.
I guess thats how I was looking at it. Less of a tool, like you'd use an EQ or a Compressor (or your ears, hah!), and more of point of refrence. What "sound good" is too much of a personal prefrence for any plugin or program to tell us when its there. We should all know that by now! However, I do think getting away from squashing audio is a GREAT THING!... and what better tool to help us all get on the same page. There has to be some truth to the point that, a laque of standards has contributed to our current situation.

So, who's it gonna be? Who's gonna is the first one to master an album with a Dynamic Range of 14dB? I'm afraid I'm not gonna have a full done project for 6 months or so. Someone else might beat me to it. Otherwise, I will send over a copy when I get something wrapped. Then everyone can tell me how undercompressed it is. LOL

Thanks for entertaining this discussion fellas!