Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-03-2004, 10:47 PM

Default Question on Master Track volume in PT...

I need some advice. I have been working on a session and have a pretty good mix and the master fader meters are optimized right under clipping during playback. However, When I bounce a stereo interleaved file of the session and play it via an audio program or burn it to CD, and compare the overall volume, it is not as "loud" as any other CD-ripped Wav file.

The only way that I can get the volume nearly as "loud" with my mix is by pushing the overall fader levels up, which in turn seems to be an obvious clipping problem.

I am getting the full version of IK's TrackS soon and am wondering if that will help my volume matching ordeal, or is there just another way to make it sound as loud as a professionally produced CD track. Thanx for the consideration.
-Matt Reisinger
Old 08-03-2004, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Question on Master Track volume in PT...

Matt,
You really need to look into some Mastering Plugins. L2, Linear MB EQ, and compressor....

That will really help you out. There is not a whole lot in the Digi bundle that will do what the Waves Mastering Bundle will do.

Hope that this helps! Get WAVES versus the T-Racks!

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 08-03-2004, 11:09 PM

Thanx, I'm actually getting full-version TrackS for free, so I'll try it out anyway, but I have heard a lot of good things about WAVES, so i'll definetly keep it in mind. If anyone else has a suggestion, please do.
-Matt Reisinger
Old 08-03-2004, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Thanx, I'm actually getting full-version TrackS for free, so I'll try it out anyway, but I have heard a lot of good things about WAVES, so i'll definetly keep it in mind. If anyone else has a suggestion, please do.

Waves L1
Waves L2
Digidesign Maxim
DUY MAX DUY in Everpak bundle
Old 08-04-2004, 12:18 AM

Waves has a fully functional demo. First try Tracks,l and after that downlaod the Waves-demo (particulary the L2 and C4) and play with them.

Bastiaan
Old 08-04-2004, 01:54 AM

Recording is a 3 stage process
Tracking
Mixing
Mastering

You've only completed 2 of the 3. Your unmastered mix will never compare volumewise ot a mastered track. You can either study and learn the art of mastering (an artform all to itself, and much more than just putting a couple plugins on the master fader) or have your tracks professionally mastered.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:44 PM

like "where" said, you need mastering. And thats a whole differenty subject. Having said that, Waves mastering plugs is the way to go. Specially L2. But if you really want your tracks really loud without alot of distortion, playing with the "linear MB" is great help. But that is really another subject.

Joz
Old 08-04-2004, 10:51 PM

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Joz is right, the Linear MB is a very good plugin. It's definately worth checking out the demo of it.