Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2011, 06:25 PM

Default potential workaround until they "bless" us with the feature...

I realize at best it's a lame workaround, but in just re-experimenting with this option, I wonder if it will suffice in the meantime? Mind you, this is on PT10 with CPTK: With the 'link record and play faders' option unchecked, just pull the 'record-mode' fader all the way down, and leave the playback fader at 0 or wherever, and record like that. I feel like I tried this back in the early days of v8, and there was some snag. or drawback, though I just tried it again and it seemed to work okay, though I had to stop my 'research' early. I'm sure there's got to be some reason this won't do the trick...anyone?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:27 PM

Thumbs down Re: Avid, why can we still not disable software monitoring (for ALL outputs)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jester View Post
No CPTK has it. Look in the "Pro Tools Reference Guide". Lot's of info on input monitoring in there but every time it is mentioned it says "Pro Tools HD and
Pro Tools with Complete Production Toolkit
only".
as a CPTK owner I´d be glad if software monitoring could be disabled on all available Outs, but when testing after installing PT 10 I was shocked realizing it couldn´t...the "Whats new in PT 10" Guide says:

"When Low Latency Monitoring is enabled,
Pro Tools disables software monitoring for record-enabled tracks routed to Outputs 1–2 only. This lets you use the built-in mixer function on your Core Audio or ASIO hardware for record monitoring with Outputs 1 and 2 on your Core Audio or ASIO audio interface"

this applies to all native systems using Core Audio/Asio, whether or not you own a CPTK license. Sad but true!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Avid, why can we still not disable software monitoring (for ALL outputs)?

If PT10 allows true "input off" monitoring, albiet only if your main mix output is run to outs 1&2 only that might be workable for many folks. For me I typically only run one main output pair out of the DAW during tracking and then route that through my RME FF800 where I mix in the blend of live mics.

Having the DAW "mix" dumbed down to one pair would work for me, as long as I'm understanding it correctly and you don't need "CPTK' for just one stereo out . Still it's disgusting that just about any other DAW has no such monitoring limitations period.

I'll personally wait to hear back from folks that have proved PT10 works in a single stereo output pair, input monitor OFF scenario. PT hopefully will chime in on the details of this somewhat apparent (though limited) move in the right direction.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Avid, why can we still not disable software monitoring (for ALL outputs)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKinTN View Post
I'll personally wait to hear back from folks that have proved PT10 works in a single stereo output pair, input monitor OFF scenario. PT hopefully will chime in on the details of this somewhat apparent (though limited) move in the right direction.
Well, I just checked running OS 10.7.2 with PT 10, it works just as intended, but limiting it to a single stereo out is a showstopper for everyone recording and quickpunching multiple tracks through a console...

While I agree with you that this is a move in the right direction and it might even work for users tracking ITB I must admit that this policy is simply ridiculous! This way Avid is forcing a lot of non HD(X) users to either record in another (actually any other!) DAW or to workaround using a clever and FREE alternative called MuteTone...I really hope Tritone will support AAX as soon as PT 11 is here
Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 PM

Gee Shane, why arent you using Protools now? Oh I dont know

CrippleTools IMO, I was hoping 10 would have all thats needed, NOPE!!!!!

This is a non-negotiable feature here. Not to mention I dont think the loadin the session into RAM is available either unless you have the HD version
Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 PM

Yep, I now fully understand how one stereo output pair (for monitoring) might work for folks tracking ITB, but is a totally unworkable option if you run all PT tracks out to an analog console.

I tried Mutetone and even with that it was more fiddly than if the PT simply had a global input monitor OFF option.

Let's see. After I bought PT9 it took UAD about half a year to get all their plugins truly compatible, apparently the old UAD Pultec had problems in PT9. Then I ran into issues with the new ILOK 2 not getting along with my combination of Waves plugs and PT9. Actually at this point I haven't even powered up PT9 in a while, simply because I don't know if the proper patches to fix the ILOK/Waves issues have been issued, and/or IF Mutetone available yet for PC. Point is, PT10 is already out and I truly never even got PT9 to work on my i7 PC! All along I've actually done many sessions, working fine with UAD, Waves, Melodyne, etc... and getting it all done with Reaper.

Even though the new monitoring options might work for my mostly ITB setup, I still question if I would get PT10 working 100% before PT11 comes along...
Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Avid

FYI - I have passed the information in this thread to our program managers, so they are aware of the feedback regarding this feature.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:46 AM

I'm not sure how this is with other interfaces, but with my Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 the way to get low latency monitoring is to use their Saffire MixControl which allows you to route any inputs directly to their outputs, and then just mute the track in record in your Pro Tools session. It seems to work perfectly for me, however the downside is that then if you do any pre-roll or post-roll the musician won't be able to hear their instrument, which I assume by having the control on the monitoring within Pro Tools would keep that from happening. I happen to have been fortunate enough to have gotten the CPTK on eBay a few weeks ago for $600, so I'm not exactly in the same boat as the rest of you guys due to that, however under 9 I was, and that was the workaround I used that worked pretty well.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
I realize at best it's a lame workaround, but in just re-experimenting with this option, I wonder if it will suffice in the meantime? Mind you, this is on PT10 with CPTK: With the 'link record and play faders' option unchecked, just pull the 'record-mode' fader all the way down, and leave the playback fader at 0 or wherever, and record like that. I feel like I tried this back in the early days of v8, and there was some snag. or drawback, though I just tried it again and it seemed to work okay, though I had to stop my 'research' early. I'm sure there's got to be some reason this won't do the trick...anyone?
I had the same idea, but this workaround makes punch-in recording impossible.. because the tracks have to be record-ready and you won't hear anything before you hit the record button. I see this is different for some music genres, but especially with modern metal you do hundreds of punch-ins and I wouldn't be able to work at all with this workaround.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstryrwiz View Post
I'm not sure how this is with other interfaces, but with my Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 the way to get low latency monitoring is to use their Saffire MixControl which allows you to route any inputs directly to their outputs, and then just mute the track in record in your Pro Tools session. It seems to work perfectly for me, however the downside is that then if you do any pre-roll or post-roll the musician won't be able to hear their instrument, which I assume by having the control on the monitoring within Pro Tools would keep that from happening. I happen to have been fortunate enough to have gotten the CPTK on eBay a few weeks ago for $600, so I'm not exactly in the same boat as the rest of you guys due to that, however under 9 I was, and that was the workaround I used that worked pretty well.
Pretty much the same as I posted above. Manual punch ins are impossible because as you noticed you won't hear what has been recorded before. You can set an automatic pre-roll punch in and mute the tracks exactly at the moment the musician should start to play again, but that's extremely hard and the musicians will [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] it up in most cases. So if you do a lot of punch ins (manually) no working workaround either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
FYI - I have passed the information in this thread to our program managers, so they are aware of the feedback regarding this feature.
This is actually good news, thank you. Let's hope they see our point.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:23 AM

I haven't tried this myself yet, but this could be a workaround on the Mac side:
TriTone MuteTool
"MuteTone is a FREEWARE UTILITY PLUGIN designed to workaround the inability to shut off input monitoring in PROTOOLS. It has no sound on its own. It just cut the input signal whenever protools is recording, allowing you to use your external console, or soundcard mixer for live monitoring."

http://www.tritonedigital.com/index....hk=1&Itemid=20