Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2011, 02:24 PM

Default Playback Engine "Ignore Errors"

Does anybody know precisely the quality of audio bounced down when the Playback Engine "Ignore Errors" box is checked?

The reason I ask is that I regularly have it checked as I work with a lot of MIDI and VIs and I occasionally forget to uncheck it when doing a final bounce down.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Playback Engine "Ignore Errors"

Checking that box tells Pro Tools not to throw any errors if there are interruptions in the audio due to performance problems. As long as you have a session that your system can reliably play, the bounce will sound fine...but if you're regularly getting pops and glitches during normal playback, you'll have the problem in your bounce as well.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:35 PM

I thought I'd read somewhere that there was a tradeoff in sample/bit quality during playback - at least the phrase that stuck in my head was "be sure to uncheck this box before bouncing to disk". Once it's checked I rarely get pops or glitches so if that's the case I'll continue to keep it checked. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:24 PM

The reference manual says:

"Ignore Errors During Playback/Record When en- abled, Pro Tools continues to play and record even if the host processing requirements exceed the selected CPU Usage Limit. This can result in pops and clicks in the audio, but does not stop the transport.

• Enable error suppression only if you are experiencing frequent errors that are interrupting your creative workflow. When error suppression is enabled, you can experience a degradation of audio quality. However, this may be acceptable in order to avoid interrupting playback and recording when working with instrument plug-ins.
• Disable error suppression when you need to ensure the highest possible audio quality, such as for a final mix."

Doesn't say the audio quality is changed, just that pops and clicks may be heard if you disable the suppression. I think that, here, they mean that a pop or click is considered degraded audio.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.