Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
and i obey the speed limits at all times too
Me, too, sometimes.

I'm really sensitive to the software thing because I'm unhappy about the ppeople who illegally copy/trade/give away/broadcast recordings these days. I really don't want to be a hypocrite when I complain about illegal copies of music, so I'm trying to handle software with integrity.

Shane is right, the court case under consideration may change things, but right now the author has the right to restrict use of his work pretty much however he likes.

So unless the court decides otherwise you can't legally use OSX on a non-Apple machine.

I do still wonder, though, is there a legal use for the EFI-X device, or is it just a "crack Apple's OS" tool?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
A judge will decide if this is "against the law" for using an OS on another computer with the current Psystar/Apple case.
I'm pretty sure that Apple was able to shut down EFI-X in the US. You have to buy from europe or something... Obviously it's a gray area at BEST. I'll be sure to shed a tear for old stevie jobs. But, it's not like I'm EVER going to spend 4k on a mac pro... they do look sexy though

Anyway... I don't want to derail this thread from it's real purpose...

Thanks for the help on the graphics cards, Mykhal... but I'm going to give an NVIDIA 9800 a shot (basically because for some reason the 8800's are more expensive). If it's too hot or loud, I'll return it & look for other options.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
Me, too, sometimes.

I'm really sensitive to the software thing because I'm unhappy about the ppeople who illegally copy/trade/give away/broadcast recordings these days. I really don't want to be a hypocrite when I complain about illegal copies of music, so I'm trying to handle software with integrity.

Shane is right, the court case under consideration may change things, but right now the author has the right to restrict use of his work pretty much however he likes.

So unless the court decides otherwise you can't legally use OSX on a non-Apple machine.

I do still wonder, though, is there a legal use for the EFI-X device, or is it just a "crack Apple's OS" tool?
it's not limited to Apple...so it is legal....from ExpressHD

EFI-X™ is the Boot Processing Unit (BPU) that provides a full EFI environment. EFI stands for Extensible Firmware Interface and is a new standard created by Intel(tm) . It is a internal 10-1 pin computer chip that contains a custom embedded CPU, memory drive, and a USB connector designed to be mounted internally on a motherboard. EFiX is for enthusiasts that put expandability and extreme performance before anything else in their computing needs. It's a new concept, a new world, and you are welcome to explore it!

we all have things we champion, no doubt. so i respect your software stance. i view this device like radar detectors...they're legal (in some/most states). how/when one uses them is an individual thing

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRS View Post
Shane, let me know about the ram disk stuff, i will give it a shot!!!
Congrats on the new build!

As far as the Ram Disk stuff goes, do a search on my name in this thread and most info is covered. I need to buy more Ram to bring it to the next level which is running the entire OS in RAM.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
Me, too, sometimes.

The big grey area here is that you still have to purchase OSX for $100 and the software isnt "hacked". Apple still makes money which is the ironic thing. To use EFI you need to purchase a copy of OSX.

On a similar front, there was a "patch" back in the day where one was able to run the PT HD software on LE hardware. It was nothing but a patch. Individuals went out and purchased the software from Digi and you still needed the hardware to even use it. They still went on a rampage to stop it even though they were making money from it.

I know a few people who are masters of filling out their tax returns. They know every legal loop hole out there even though the loop holes make you go, "hmmm" sometimes.

It will be interesting to hear the final judicial decision from the current case when it gets wrapped up.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlearman View Post
...But, it's not like I'm EVER going to spend 4k on a mac pro... they do look sexy though
I just don't understand how an over sized cheese grater can look "sexy", but somehow Apple was able to pull it off.

Shane

Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 AM

Ive been through this whole thread and STILL cant decide on the MB. Im a Mac guy moving over here since the price of bread is too high at the Jobs mill
Any thoughts????

1. ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131365

or

2. Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128362

Any other suggestions , let me know.

DAW ONLY here BTW, no gaming or video concerns
Old 04-07-2009, 11:52 AM

How about Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4?

Might wanna wait a few days/weeks to make sure you get the i7 920 new D0 stepping.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano111 View Post
How about Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4?

Might wanna wait a few days/weeks to make sure you get the i7 920 new D0 stepping.
I ordered the UD4 & the 920 just yesterday & now ur saying there is som'n new already???? "Ga'Dumete"

Wonder will that just be an update?...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 PM

KEYBEEETSSS

Let me know how the build goes and any issues you have. Thanks