Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 04-01-2023, 03:18 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio and AES??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
That box is going to cost you US$4k and the AES Card is going to cost you $1900. And they won't be available until near the end of the year.

And you'll still be short 16 AD inputs and 14 DA outputs compared to the MTRX Studio. If you don't need Thunderbolt versatility or Dante/digital input/out high counts and you do use PT HDn/HDX, the MTRX Studio is a better buy. (In the AX Center box, you can't get to the DA/AD count found in the MTRX Studio. The Studio maxes out at 20 ADC and 22 DAC. The AX Center has 2 ADC and 8 DAC on the box and then you can only get 16 more channels if you used both slots for analog. And that's at a much higher price)
Yes fair enough. The MTRX studio indeed is 16x16 for AD and DA. (though de AX Center has the conversion quality of the MTRX/AX32/AX64 range). In the end it just depends on the needs of the end user.

Perhaps will never happen, but an option thunderbolt slot for the current MTRX unit (which has AES on the chassis connectors , which is a big pre for me) would be an awesome addition.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Perhaps will never happen, but an option thunderbolt slot for the current MTRX unit (which has AES on the chassis connectors , which is a big pre for me) would be an awesome addition.
That would be a great addition and I'd be all for it but it looks like it isn't going to happen.
It may be hardware impossible (thunderbolt needs the possiblity of bifurcation of the motherboard PCIe.) Or maybe it could be possible by making the thunderbolt completely SoC on the add-in card. A shame for the large AX32/MTRX user base.

Also, unlocking the stupid firmware lock on MTRX cards vs AX32 cards would be great. I'm sure it is in the Avid/DAD agreement but it's one of those annoying things that they are the exact same card and you can't interchange. And this AX Center is another place that could come in handy. Leave the Digilink card firmware locked to the MTRX -- fine. Just unlock all the others. I would have an AX Center on pre-order right now and an addition 8 mic/line in card as part of my mobile system if I knew I could interchange those cards with the home MTRX system.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Yes. That will convert Dante to AES. There are sample rate limitations though. You can configure the added latency to be 1ms-5ms (you do that in Dante controller.) And, most important, you need a POE switch or a POE power injector (if not using with a switch with POE ability or if using direct.) It won't run without power.
what a pain it is to try and get AES into the MTRX Studio
this then looks like the best 'cheap' option yes?
MUTEC MC-4

Mac Studio M1 Max
32 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.1
24 core Metal 3 GPU
Avid MTRX Studio
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12
HDX card
AVID TB3 1 slot PCie Chassis
Old 04-02-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
MUTEC MC-4
Yes this one should do the job. It can also do sample rate conversion. Looked up the sample delay numbers I got from the manufacturer:

- Delays:
AES receiver: 1 sample
AES transmitter: 1 sample
ADAT receiver: 3 samples
ADAT transmitter: 5 samples
SRC: 35 samples
So the path AES-In to ADAT-Out would have about 41 samples delay with SRC and about 6 samples delay without SRC.

So with sample rate conversion (if needed) it's still faster than Audinate's Dante-AES dongle, which starts at 1ms latency. Without sample rate conversion, the conversion latency is the microseconds range e.g. unnoticeable. (6 samples at 48khz = 125 microseconds , at 96khz only 62,5 microseconds)
Old 04-02-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
MUTEC MC-4
PS if you go for the mutec mc-4 , be aware that the AES db-25 connector pinout is Yamaha and not the Tascam pinout like on the big MTRX. Something to keep in mind when ordering/making a breakout cable for AES :)
Old 04-02-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
PS if you go for the mutec mc-4 , be aware that the AES db-25 connector pinout is Yamaha and not the Tascam pinout like on the big MTRX. Something to keep in mind when ordering/making a breakout cable for AES :)
thanks for the heads up
why do they do this
grrrrrr

Mac Studio M1 Max
32 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.1
24 core Metal 3 GPU
Avid MTRX Studio
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12
HDX card
AVID TB3 1 slot PCie Chassis