Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-19-2011, 09:18 AM

Default 003 has no sound output after update!!!

I just updated my Mac version PT8 to PT9. Now I have no sound output from my 003+. I did the v9 driver update before I installed and selected the 003 as the playback engine. It may be something so simple I am overlooking the most obvious, but I am getting nothing. I can route the sound thru my Macs audio line out and get sound, but nothing thru the 003.

The thing that has me worried is when I first powered up PT9, it froze and all lights on the 003 froze in the on position and would not turn off, then PT9 quit unexpectedly. The lights remained locked on the 003 I had to reboot. I never had audio out with PT9. When I go to my Mac Audio Preferences Output option, it shows the Digidesign HW (003) device, but when I select it, it says "the selected device has no output controls". I am not sure this ever said it had output controls, but that seems strange!

Mac OSX 10.6.6
Old 02-19-2011, 04:04 PM

Default Re: 003 has no sound output after update!!!

I just added a new hard drive with a fresh install of OS 10.6.6 and did the 003 driver update with the full install of PT9 and nothings changed from my last post. Is it possible a software upgrade can fry a 003?
Old 02-19-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpilkinton View Post
I just added a new hard drive with a fresh install of OS 10.6.6 and did the 003 driver update with the full install of PT9 and nothings changed from my last post. Is it possible a software upgrade can fry a 003?
No worries bud. I went through the same thing and I can't remember what I did but it's somewhere in the preferences or the I/O i changed to the default setting.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM

Have you selected the 003 as the audio engine?

Turn everything off then back on and boot PT. As you boot, hold down "N" and you can pick your audio engine.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Hello Park, I was having a similar problem with my 003 that, after the Por Tools 9 upgrade, was recognized by the iMac and the DigiCore audio Manager, but not by ProTools.

After using the "hold down N" during Pro Tools initialization, it finally recognized the Interface at the I/O Setup.

Thanks!

Regards from Brazil
Old 02-20-2011, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, I have tried all this and nothing. I can see my meters moving and when I change my output to "line out" under playback engine, I can hear everything thru my computer speakers. I use a Mackie Big Knob for control and rerouted my computer line out to the same channel select my 003 was going to, just to make sure nothing was wrong with the Big Knob, but nothings wrong there. I rerouted the firewire to another port just to see if there was an issue there, but nothing. I can look under system profile/firewire and it shows the 003. Pro Tools shows the 003 and when 003 is on and if I boot PT without the 003 plugged in, it's no longer showing up, so there's nothing wrong with PT not seeing it. I was looking at the RME Fireface 800 or the Apogee Ensemble...so maybe the 003 got jealous and shut down!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpilkinton View Post
Thanks for the reply, I have tried all this and nothing. I can see my meters moving and when I change my output to "line out" under playback engine, I can hear everything thru my computer speakers. I use a Mackie Big Knob for control and rerouted my computer line out to the same channel select my 003 was going to, just to make sure nothing was wrong with the Big Knob, but nothings wrong there. I rerouted the firewire to another port just to see if there was an issue there, but nothing. I can look under system profile/firewire and it shows the 003. Pro Tools shows the 003 and when 003 is on and if I boot PT without the 003 plugged in, it's no longer showing up, so there's nothing wrong with PT not seeing it. I was looking at the RME Fireface 800 or the Apogee Ensemble...so maybe the 003 got jealous and shut down!
Processof elimination, just power up your 003, and nothing else, also take the Mackie offline and make sure it's not the digi stuff that's giving you problems.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 PM

Have you look at your studio setup to make sure it's got the right drivers? I've had the same problem. it's says it doesn't have any outputs which is a load of crap but it works.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
just power up your 003, and nothing else
I have done this as well, but at some point I have to turn something on to send a signal in or to receive signal out to see what's working. I tried headphones as one of the first things to see if the problem was on the out side of the 003 and the new hard drive and new install of the OS and PT9 was to make sure there was not anything wrong on the software end. I was thinking a firmware update, but don't see anything about the need for that when going from PT8 to PT9. As I said in other post I did the driver update first and then the software. I even did the driver update twice on the first hard drive...once before instal and once later after I couldn't get a signal. I put a call into digi, but their closed for the holiday. I don't think I ever gat a day off for Presidents day....Oh well!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:38 PM

Does your host light come on when connected to PT? Remember that the 003 can only connect to one device at a time. We'll get it working.