Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 08-04-2012, 05:01 AM

Default PT10 LE + Artist Control and Mix via HUI (Not Working)

Hi,

The computer in question is a MacPro, OS 10.6.8, with Protools 10 LE + Music Production Toolkit. I have been using an SSL Nucleus very successfully for my control surface.

I have recently added two Avid units - a Control and a Mix. PT10 does not allow using Eucon and HUI protocols simultaneously. I am therefore restricted to using the Avid surfaces in HUI mode in PT10.

I have done all the suggested things in previous threads, deleted all MIDI drivers in Lib/Audio/MIDI Drivers other than Eucon. Prefs folder is read/write for everyone, PT has been added as HUI ch 1-4 in the Eucon System Prefs pane, and other bits and pieces attended to.

There seem to be no DHCP issues, Logic runs up perfectly with Logic choosing to auto-use the Mackie protocol. Other apps are seen and able to be interacted with using the Avid Control unit.

Protools REFUSES to see either the Mix or Control surfaces via HUI (or maybe more to the point the Avid surfaces refuse to recognise Protools - a MIDI implementation issue with the surface it seems from testing - but could be wrong).
PT sees the Eucon MIDI 1 - 4 in HUI peripheral setup.
PT does NOT display the dialogue box saying it can't communicate with HUI.
PT DOES display the dialogue box saying it cant communicate with HUI *IF* I intentionally do something wrong - so the dialogue process seems to be working fine.
Avid Mix and Control faders and buttons remain inactive.

Nothing on any site or pdf states that HUI has been disabled for PT10 specifically for the Avid surfaces - but HAS it? HUI works for my other HUI devices (e.g. SSL Nucleus and Matrix). Or is there something that can be done to get this going?

Also, it would be helpful if we could set the Eucon to other than the first set of banks - that would fix many many things. That way the first set of banks could be via HUI (rather than doubling up with Eucon), the subsequent banks addressed via Eucon. Eucon protocol can't be used first if you have an Artist Control due to it only having four faders - this constantly leaves four channel strips without control if you put another surface *after* the control unit - so it always has to go to the right.

Please help - this is very frustrating, I need to decide on what I am going to purchase for this and a another setup and I am very close to taking my already-purchased Avid units back to get something that actually functions properly.

Thank you to anyone who may be able to help.

Last edited by Herbieoz; 08-04-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: update title of thread
Old 08-04-2012, 02:33 PM

Default Re: PT10 LE + Artist Control and Mix via HUI

Although I no longer have an Artist Control, I can confirm I had it running in Eucon mode alongside an Alhpatrack & a BCF2000 which were both running in HUI mode at the same time in PT10 with absolutely no problems.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 08-04-2012, 03:24 PM

Thanks Chaz - any tips on how? Eucon and HUI when used together (in my case) result in both units controlling the same channels (and each other), as well as the dialogue "cannot communicate with HUI" coming up constantly (although it can until the dialogue box comes up - irony). There is no way I can see of shifting the Eucon "up" (to the right, higher etc) so that it controls the channels "after" those controlled by HUI. Nor is there a successful way to shift HUI "up" either. Insights appreciated.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 PM

Update. All works fine in HUI mode for logic - SSL and Artist units all playing fine.

Artist Control and Mix units cannot be made to see the computer in HUI mode at all. The EuControl Panel settings panel will not allow locking to application (it will for Logic). The EuControl panel WILL allow me to assign strips to PT channels (and sees name changes on tracks in Protools correctly) but still the Mix and Control units stay incommunicado. Evidence that Protools is communicating with the EuCon panel, but the panel does not communicate with the Surfaces when in HUI mode.

Simple question - can Artist units talk to PT10.2 via HUI? (everything points to yes it should). If not working - what else can be tried to get it working.

If any Avid techs have noticed this thread is this info helping in any way?

thanks.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Default Re: PT10 LE + Artist Control and Mix via HUI (Not Working)

Initially yes, the first bank of Eucon channels mirrors the first bank of HUI channels - I used Layouts on the artist control for whatever section I was working on & kept the 8+8 of HUI's fixed on my master section & 8 VCA's exclusively. Took me a while to get used to my master faders being on the left most strips but I soon got used to it.

I still keep getting the very annoying 'unable to communicate with HUI' pop ups when first launching protools as for some reason the BCF port sometimes has it's name changed depending on how the system has booted up (it might be BCF2000 one day & BCF?2000 the next - go figure!) - Once I change it though, it's fine for the rest of that power cycle.

I may end up getting a couple of mixes & possibly a transport at some point in the future once PT11 is out but I'm going to wait to see what happens regarding Euphonix's future with Avid.

Best of luck with your problems tho!

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 PM

Default Re: PT10 LE + Artist Control and Mix via HUI (Not Working)

Thanks Chaz, I have no issue with moving VCAs and Master to wherever in a session - especially if they end up remaining in a single place physically on a surface (which can be an advantage). I have however tried locking tracks to units but unfortunately this is not practical in my case given this results in [a] no ability to bank across tracks, and [b] mirroring still occurs wasting physical faders.

I appreciate the suggestion tho.