Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2001, 10:54 AM

Default Windows based PC progress is getting scary

Anybody heard the latest figures? Something 1 out of 30 computers sold are mac. I know mac was going downhill for a while until they licensed their hardware, then all those mac clone companies poppped up, breathing life into mac again. Then what happened...
Ego-maniac Steve Jobs comes back in the picture and does not re-new any of the licenses, now all those clone companies are out of business and Steve has full control of the market agin. "HA HA HA, competion is BAD." says Steve
I see more and more people coming to my mastering house with music they recorded on their home PC not Mac. And I feel it is directly related to that goofball Steve. If I were a manufacturer of computers and if Mac ever offered to license their technology again, I would have to laugh. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could punch him. The licenseing contract would have to be for so so many years with a guarenteed renewal that I don't think Apple would agree.
Anyway I don't see Mac losing the PC battle in the near future, especially the pro A/V market. However in the long term I see it differently. I have a hard time supporting a company which supports such a different philosphical viewpoint as me.
People have a hate for Bill Gates for his business procedures, yet I find Steve Jobs a bit more scary. Ok, Bill has his software/strategy thing down, I mean really, what does a PC cost nowadys, I think one of my frieds picked one up (with a 17" monitor) for a penny.(with a internet contract) But still the actual cost was like $500 and change, granted it is not top of the line, (cheap components) but it is not a dog either and it works, period. And now that persons kid will be growing up using a windows based PC. That is just simple marketing fore-thought. Something I wonder if Steve Jobs has.
I rely on Mac for my business as most of you do. I still think Macs are an excellent product. I just wonder about their business ethics. A lot.
Now with TC Electronics coming out with a DSP card for windows PC things will be changing on the audio front. Finally somebody else will be making farm cards besides Digi. Hopefully this new competition will drive prices down. Maybe even digi will license their technology. HA HA yea right.
Old 04-16-2001, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Windows based PC progress is getting scary

"Anybody heard the latest figures? Something 1 out of 30 computers sold are mac."

Give us a source...or are you just trolling?

Mike
Old 04-19-2001, 09:03 PM

If 29 out of 30 people drove Porsches, would they still be so desirable? Let those Windows people keep putt-putt-putting along on the virtual Kias of the information superhighway... I can almost see the blue-screens reflected in their eyes as I smoke their asses...
Old 04-21-2001, 06:46 AM

1 out of 30... seems a bit high doesnt it? if apple only has a few % of the market (like 2 or 3 isnt it) wouldn't it be more like 1 in 75?

i hope apple doesnt fail. it will be hard enough to adjust when digi fails shortly
Old 04-21-2001, 09:02 AM

Mac is 1 out of 5-20 depending on the nation.

Never in the human history the mass had the best things.
The best is for few people.

------------------
somewhere in the planet
Old 04-21-2001, 09:26 AM

How many times do we have to hear about the great "mistake" that Apple made regarding licensing their technology? A huge part of what makes people love Apple is the hardware. It made shopping for a Mac easy, and it was easy to know that software you bought would run trouble free. (or at least somewhat trouble free )

The whole clone thing was too little too late. Apple was losing money on the clones. They were stealing the mac market not expanding it. Whatever you think of Steve Jobs, he brought the company back to profitability.

Bill Gates and microsoft won the the OS war for one reason. He was smart enough to target a hardware platform that was already installed in the vast majority of businesses. Home PCs were small potatoes. Bill G. knew that if he could write the best possible OS that the current hardware would allow, the market would grow naturally. The faster the hardware got, the better software he could write. And conversely, his software pushed business to buy faster machines every 2 years. It is (was) an excellent business model. He didn't care that his OS wasn't as good as the Mac. For most businesses it was good enough. It wasn't until several years later that Windows would rival the Mac in terms of usability. (It still doesn't IMHO.)

Apple, on the other hand, wanted to make the best OS , period. If it meant developing a new hardware platform than so be it. It was a little shortsighted perhaps. But then, they did change the computing world didn't they?
Old 04-21-2001, 10:14 AM

"I can almost see the blue-screens reflected in their eyes as I smoke their asses..."

If MACS are so much better than why did Digidesign develop for NT and Windows? Since they pride themselves on stability, they must have reasoned the stability was there (as well as the dollars). Cost is a big factor for alot of people (we are musicians, not millionaires). That seems to be what Mr. Jobs has forgotten about. If PC manufacturers can make a computer for less than a MAC, than MAC should also be able to make MACS for less. I would buy a MAC in a second if the cost wasn't so much more (and forget about raw speed, where's the 1.5G MACS?).

BTW: "Smoke their asses"? I don't want anyone smoking my ass. I don't think that's legal (at least not in 40 of 50 states). Whatever.

Old 04-21-2001, 01:21 PM

Out of all the 90% market share of PC's sold in the world,
how many of those. are bought for creative, design, audio, video..etc.?

Out that 3% of macs sold..how many of them are used for creative, design, audio, video etc?

My guess is..that macs still hold a large number of users in these markets..even with their tiny overall market share. That means..if you are a software developer for these types of products..macs are still importatnt to you.

That 90% market share of PC's..inludes..every server, IT dept..and workstation terminal..and secretaries desk that has nothing but microsoft office on it..and novell. Not to mention..that umpteen bazillion home PC's..that run games..surf the net..and print out little Johnny's home work.

Not that any of that is not important.

Just you have to consider the market.

If your a gamer..or an office worker..a mac is not such a hot investment..nor is development for it. But..in the DAW world..even with more home users using cakewalk..and cubase..macs still are a very significant factor.

The fact that PC's have gained in this ..and other areas of the creative field where macs once ruled by a large margin..is worrisome to more than a few people. It all "could" go belly up. But your safe for now.

Its interesting..that MOTU..appears to be the last Mac only software DAW developer left. It shows that PC's have gained tremendously in these areas. But, the difference in user numbers in these areas..is not nearly as significant..as it is..in the overall numbers ..once you seperate all the multitudes of print severs..from DAW's

Once you move up..to..the higher levels of these markets..design, audio..etc..even while slipping..macs STILL have sigfinicant numbers. Granted..out of ALL the computers sold in the world..its a small number..but its a small number for both macs AND Pc's.

Anyway..an analogy to the whole market share question would be:

IF Honda owns 90% of the overall motorcyle sales market.
Ducati owns about 3%. So..does that mean Ducatis are doomed?

Nope...not if your a closed circuit racer.
Ducatis are more than 1/2 the bikes AND..wins..in the motorcycle racing circuit.
If your a racer..a Ducati is the thing to have.

That overall "honda" sales number includes every sport bike you hear screeching down your street..all the dirt bikes and ATV's you see in the woods..all the big dress hogs you see on the highway..etc. Out of all these sales..and people..how many of them race bikes..or..ride on a closed course? Not very many. A very, very small number.

Ducati also sells street versions of their race bikes..and they don't sell too many..esp..considering the staggering honda number. But..out of all ducatis sold.how many of them do you think end up on a race track in some form or another? You guessed it..probably..a large number of them...end up on the track at one time or another in one form or another.

I wouldn't worry too much about it..at least not yet.
Old 04-21-2001, 03:10 PM

macs are going down. sorry, to tell you this, but even the DAW market will succumb to the power of Intel & Microsoft (currently its AMD & MS). as PC's get more and more powerful and more stable, the ducati argument will go the way of the dodo.....

i use the digi001 with AMD/DDR system and it kicks ass. even digidesign says their tests with these systems produce a higher track and plugin count than any mac ever could.

i'll skip the economic reasons behind it, but its plain to see that the windows platforms are quickly surpassing mac for power - and it will take time - but also for stability. as this is happening, coupled with the fact that there are are just plain more sales of PC's, music equipment manufacturers will shift to the PC market to the point where the honda becomes the ducati.

goodbye mac, hello future........
Old 04-21-2001, 05:02 PM

This thread is stupid. But I'll add 2 more cents.

I am currently researching and probably going to buy a PC for GigaStudio. The software promises 160 voices, low-latency, glitch free performance. Sounds good to me. However, once you start doing the research it turns out--not everybody has this kind of luck. In fact very few do. Most people complain of clicks/pops/ latency/lower than advertised polyphony etc.

The common wisdom seems to be that there a just a couple of CPU/motherboard/ peripheral combos that can give you the promised performance. When you get this combo the package ends up costing you around $2500. And this is not including the audio card that you choose, or the gigastudio software. And its not an off the shelf system. There are companies that specialize in these systems like Soundchaser.com. I am sure they are great DAW machines. But the thing is... its kind of a pain in the ass. I don't build PCs, so i have to rely on a company that does it and does it right.

If Gigastudio ran on a Mac, I could probably get a G4/533 dual processor for $2500 and be done with it. Say what you want about Apple, but I trust them over some unknown PC maker anyday. And rest assured it would work as advertised. There would be no mysteries. No "that motherboard sucks, you need the latest blah, blah, blah." Nope. All I would do is go to Apple.com, order my G4, and then install the software--done.

I will probably get a GigaStudio system, and it will probably rock. But man, it would have been a whole lot easier if they made it for the mac.

For that reason, Macs will be around for a little while longer. After all--5 Million iMac fans can't be wrong!