Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-31-2008, 02:45 PM

Default Mbox2 mini on mac running leopard

Ok, so I just got the mbox 2 mini in the mail, and than heard that it is not compatible with leopard. Its plugged into the USB hub, but wont even power up. Am I screwed in terms of being able to use this, even as something with which to send a signal to my monitors?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Mbox2 mini on mac running leopard

I'm pretty sure using an Mbox on a USB hub is a bad idea, especially if it isn't a powered hub.

As for Leopard, an update that makes Pro Tools compatible with it should be out sometime soon, although we can't say for sure when that'll be.

rMacBook Pro 2.2 gHz Core i7, 10.10.3
16 GB RAM
MOTU 828mkII, PT 12.1 HD
Axiom 61, 2xArtist Mix
Old 01-31-2008, 03:02 PM

sorry, I dont know why I said "hub", its plugged into the USB port on the back.

Im in need of an audio interface now, not two weeks from now.

If I install PT, will this thing work???
Old 01-31-2008, 03:21 PM

all you can do is try. You are not going to blow up your machine (well, unlikely anyway) We can't tell you if it will or will not work. Some have gotten it to work, some haven't.

Did you just buy your macbook with Leopard installed or did you recently upgrade? If you upgraded, go back to Tiger and you can be sure it will work...which, based upon your comment of "you need it now and not two weeks from now" would get you there with no question.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:23 PM

Same problem here.

However, mine came with Tiger DVD's. I did away by making two partitions (Leopard & Tiger) and install Pro tools on tiger.

Can't wait 'till Digidesign comes up with a Leopard-compatible version.

Hurry up Apple & Digi!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:17 AM

Well, turns out everything works fine. I installed the protools 7.3 disk that came with it, pt 7.3 seems to run fine.
Good thing. I was about to run out again to return this and get a firebox.

Just as a side rant, Im surprised that with all the studios out there using the mac/protools platform, that digidesign would be so far behind the 8ball in updating their software. Leopard has been out for about 3 months now....
Old 02-01-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Just as a side rant, Im surprised that with all the studios out there using the mac/protools platform, that digidesign would be so far behind the 8ball in updating their software. Leopard has been out for about 3 months now....
Studios don't upgrade to new operating systems on the first pass, sometimes it may be years before they finally make the switch. If the system is rock solid, why would they risk it. The only things studios care about is having the most up to date Pro Tools application which is 7.4. The just need to be compatible with people coming in with sessions. It is a business, and their livelihood depends on it.

Remember, these boxes are used for anything else but recording. What do they care if this new os looks pretty or comes with time machine, or spaces. They won't use these things anyway.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Studios don't upgrade to new operating systems on the first pass, sometimes it may be years before they finally make the switch. If the system is rock solid, why would they risk it. The only things studios care about is having the most up to date Pro Tools application which is 7.4. The just need to be compatible with people coming in with sessions. It is a business, and their livelihood depends on it.

At risk of another lousy "wanna get pro? get HD", but I guess the Pro Tools LE is aimed at people creating music on their laptops / home computers, in which I'd expect running Pro tools is not the only purpose: I can easily imagine in the near future that during a recording night, the messenger pops out with a friend of yours going "Hey! Check the myspace of this guy! His music is cool!", fire up Safari - the latest version please! I really miss tabbed browsing on Tiger 1.4.9 - and safely browse the web - because your mac is up to the latest security updates.

But on machines running HD... like in any pro studio... I can't even imagine what would I do if the engineer starts chatting - or losing time on facebook - in the workstation while recording... maybe fire him out!

The user situations on Pro Tools LE are much different than Pro Tools HD. I hope Digi knows this. And that's why I think that, at least for LE platform, Digi should be quicker to issue updates for OS updates on LE.

My two cents (or dollars...)
Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:

At risk of another lousy "wanna get pro? get HD", but I guess the Pro Tools LE is aimed at people creating music on their laptops / home computers, in which I'd expect running Pro tools is not the only purpose: I can easily imagine in the near future that during a recording night, the messenger pops out with a friend of yours going "Hey! Check the myspace of this guy! His music is cool!", fire up Safari - the latest version please! I really miss tabbed browsing on Tiger 1.4.9 - and safely browse the web - because your mac is up to the latest security updates.

But on machines running HD... like in any pro studio... I can't even imagine what would I do if the engineer starts chatting - or losing time on facebook - in the workstation while recording... maybe fire him out!

The user situations on Pro Tools LE are much different than Pro Tools HD. I hope Digi knows this. And that's why I think that, at least for LE platform, Digi should be quicker to issue updates for OS updates on LE.

My two cents (or dollars...)