Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Default SC48 and Plug ins.

In an SC48 how many iterations of a plug in can you use? I know there are only 20 slots but if I want to use 8 iterations (copies) of one reverb can I? Is there a limit and does it vary by plug in?

BTW I watched the webinar about plug ins and this wasn’t mentioned that I noticed.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:47 PM

Default Re: SC48 and Plug ins.

Hi.
You can use as many as you want, as long as there's enough DSP resources for that.
Besides, some plugins are more DSP hungry than others.
In a SC48, you're limited to two mix engine cards (each with 9 DSPs, but some are used for the system).
For example, a single TL Space verb requires 2 DSPs.
A Revibe requires just one.
You have to manage DSP resources in a SC48 or even more, in a Mixrack with just two DSP boards.
That can be done by reducing output graphic EQ counting, input channels (if possible), etc.
Sometimes, when the DSP limit is close to be reached, the order you place plugins in the racks can affect if you can or can't place more plugins.
It's quite easy, I'm sure you'll get the feeling quickly.
Merry Xmas!
MJ
Old 12-23-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojorgeandrade View Post
Hi.
You can use as many as you want, as long as there's enough DSP resources for that.
Besides, some plugins are more DSP hungry than others.
In a SC48, you're limited to two mix engine cards (each with 9 DSPs, but some are used for the system).
For example, a single TL Space verb requires 2 DSPs.
A Revibe requires just one.
You have to manage DSP resources in a SC48 or even more, in a Mixrack with just two DSP boards.
That can be done by reducing output graphic EQ counting, input channels (if possible), etc.
Sometimes, when the DSP limit is close to be reached, the order you place plugins in the racks can affect if you can or can't place more plugins.
It's quite easy, I'm sure you'll get the feeling quickly.
Merry Xmas!
MJ
Thank you and Merry Christmas to you too.

If the revibe requires just one DSP is that per iteration? So if I want 6 iterations of revibe it will need 6 DSPs?

This doesn’t look good because on an SC48 the difference between 16 GEQs and 8 GEQs is only one DPS difference. There are 6 DSPs available with 16 GEQs in use and 7 DSPs with 8 GEQs in use. The problem for me is I am going to need more then 8 and less then 16 GEQs for an install I am looking at the SC48 for. And a difference of one DSP isn’t going to help.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:40 AM

Hi.
I'm not in front of an SC48 right now, but I have just loaded a showfile created on an SC48 in the Venue Stand Alone, but it doesn't show the exact DSP Usage, only the real console does.
In my SC48 showfile I use 1 TL Space, 1 Revibe, 1 Pitch, 1 Echo Farm and there's still some room for some BF 76s, 7 band EQs and a De-esser.
In order to achieve this, I had to diminish the channel count to 32 and place things like the over head mikes and two stereo keyboards to the effects returns, which uses way less DSP than the regular processing channels.
I'm not sure if you can place 6 Revibes, you probably can, even with 48 channels and 8 Graphic EQs.
If you can't, maybe you could use just one or two Revibes and the other 4 verbs could be Reverb Ones or D Verbs, which uses less DSP.
I think the SC48 is unbeatable for its price.
And the new features, about to come in the future software updates, will make it even better.
Good luck.
Regards,
MJ
Old 12-25-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAXX7 View Post
Thank you and Merry Christmas to you too.

If the revibe requires just one DSP is that per iteration? So if I want 6 iterations of revibe it will need 6 DSPs?

This doesn’t look good because on an SC48 the difference between 16 GEQs and 8 GEQs is only one DPS difference. There are 6 DSPs available with 16 GEQs in use and 7 DSPs with 8 GEQs in use. The problem for me is I am going to need more then 8 and less then 16 GEQs for an install I am looking at the SC48 for. And a difference of one DSP isn’t going to help.
If you absolutely have to have that many different reverbs give D-Verb a go, they are much better sounding than they look and they are easy on CPU (was it 25% off a chip was it?)

I never even tried D-Verb until one day I opened one acoustic demo session that came with Pro Tools DVD and was blown away how good it sounded and then even more blown away once I looked at the mixer and what was used to create that mix. Digi EQ's... D-Verbs...

D-Verb has non-lin, room, hall, church, pretty much all basic stuff you need. Come back into channel instead of FX ret if you feel you need to EQ it more than what is available on FX ret.

Don't get me wrong, I still run ReVibe, but only one or two and get most of the other stuff covered by D-Verbs, reverb-o-maniac that I am
Old 12-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Avid

Hi,

I'm not in front of a console right but now but as I recall it's possible to run 2 instances of Revibe on a single DSP. This means 3 xDSP chips for 6 x Revibes.

Sheldon
Old 12-25-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Radford View Post
Hi,

I'm not in front of a console right but now but as I recall it's possible to run 2 instances of Revibe on a single DSP. This means 3 xDSP chips for 6 x Revibes.

Sheldon
I think you are right Sheldon, it is Echo Farm delay that eats a whole chip. ReVibe used to eat a chip off of Mix system DSP chip on Pro Tools systems.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:57 PM

So if I am reading the responses right the DSP usage is per instance.

Is there a chart anywhere that shows the DSP usage for the different plug ins that are included with the SC48. Also is there a chart that shows what the DSP usage of all plug ins are?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAXX7 View Post
So if I am reading the responses right the DSP usage is per instance.

Is there a chart anywhere that shows the DSP usage for the different plug ins that are included with the SC48. Also is there a chart that shows what the DSP usage of all plug ins are?
That would be nice, wouldn't it? This is really hard to do because each plugin HAS it's own amount of DSP that it uses---and some plugins allow you to use more than others because of DSP sharing. This isn't as much of an issue with the SC48 because of the 20-plugin slots, but it is one none the less. I think you'll find that the built-in EQ and Dynamics on the SC48 are VERY good, the ability to use TDM plugins for specific things such as REVIBE for your reverbs, throw a few 1176 plugins up on drums and guitars, an ELEVEN plugin for your lead guitar, actually goes a loooooong way.

Are you looking for a console, or do you already have one? Where/what will this be used for?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
That would be nice, wouldn't it? This is really hard to do because each plugin HAS it's own amount of DSP that it uses---and some plugins allow you to use more than others because of DSP sharing. This isn't as much of an issue with the SC48 because of the 20-plugin slots, but it is one none the less. I think you'll find that the built-in EQ and Dynamics on the SC48 are VERY good, the ability to use TDM plugins for specific things such as REVIBE for your reverbs, throw a few 1176 plugins up on drums and guitars, an ELEVEN plugin for your lead guitar, actually goes a loooooong way.

Are you looking for a console, or do you already have one? Where/what will this be used for?
I am looking at the SC48 (with the output expansion card) for a church that has an A&H GL4000-48 at the moment. I can’t give up any channels we will need almost all 48 so I can’t free up any DSP that way. I hopefully have a demo coming at the end of Jan so they (the church) can evaluate it. I went to the SC48 training about 2 years ago but I haven’t used one in the heat of battle. I actually have discounted it for the shows I use a digital console for (theater) because I need (or should I say like to have) more then 16 cannel faders accessible to me at once. But I can see it being very useful for this church. If the SC48 would let me spill input channels into the master section it would fit my musical theater shows much better.

I am still learning (as I hope I always will be) for example I don’t know what a TDM plugin is compared to any other type of plug in. I am hoping to do everything we need with what plugins come with the SC48.