Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2022, 02:19 AM

Default Thunderbolt 4

Hello,

I have some questions regarding the new Silicon Macs and Thunderbolt 4.
I can't find answers to the following questions.

1. As I have the Avid Thunderbolt HD Native interface, is this device working with TB4 (incl. the Apple Adapter from TB2 to TB3/4) ?

2. I ask myself the same question regarding my Blackmagic Express TB Video Interface.

3. Do you have experiences with optical TB2 Cables regarding TB4. I have the Corning TB2 cable connecting my mac in the machine room with my monitor, etc in the studio.
Is it possible to adapt this cable to TB 4 with the apple adapter? Or do I need a new cable with a TB3/4 plug? As I remember, the corning cables need an active port on every side...maybe this might be an issue.

I just want to be aware of the extra costs I would have to pay, if I buy a new machine....

Thanks and all the best
Oli
Mac Pro 14,8 M2Ultra 192GB RAM - OS X 13.6.3 - PT HDn 2023.09 Thunderbolt - HD I/O + RedNet HD32R + SYNC HD - Blackmagic SDI 4K - Mutec MC-3.2 Smart Clock HD - BSS Soundweb - Alcons CRMSmkII - ATMOS equipped Edit & Premix-Room
Old 03-31-2022, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Thunderbolt 4

Not sure about the Blackmagic device you mentioned.

But I have my HD Native Thunderbolt connecting thru a TB2 OWC Dock from a few years ago into the Apple TB2/TB4 adapter hooked to a new Mac Studio, it all works with no issues.

MKD Creative
Old 03-31-2022, 10:38 AM

All thunderbolt is backwards compatible.
Thunderbolt 4 is just more strict on specs for thunderbolt devices. (So a TB4 hard drive or chassis or eGPU would have to adhere to stricter specs on that device to qualify as TB4.)
Old 03-31-2022, 07:06 PM

Hello zzz,

For the BM device is it the Ultra Studio Express that’s powered over tb? If so that won’t work as the tb3>tb2 adapter doesn’t pass tb power to bus powered devices. There’s a small power pass through to trigger tb presence but not for buss power. We were disappointed about this.
I’ve considered tearing ours apart and powering it externally but the tb3 bm units are so inexpensive I’ll probably not waste the time.
Hugh
Old 04-01-2022, 04:15 AM

Hi,

thanks for the information.

@Hugh-H:
really disappointing - yes, I was talking about the Ultrastudio Express...but you are perfectly right. the newer ones are not that expensive. here in germany arround 450€. Unforunately the non-existance of the bus-power within the adapter answers my question 3. The optical corning cables need the bus power to work. Another 500 - 600€ to pay. As a workaround, I could try to use some old active thunderbolt 2 docks, but that solution feels really weird, doesn't it?

Best
Oli
Mac Pro 14,8 M2Ultra 192GB RAM - OS X 13.6.3 - PT HDn 2023.09 Thunderbolt - HD I/O + RedNet HD32R + SYNC HD - Blackmagic SDI 4K - Mutec MC-3.2 Smart Clock HD - BSS Soundweb - Alcons CRMSmkII - ATMOS equipped Edit & Premix-Room