Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-10-2022, 03:39 PM

Default Where are my clips?

Hi,

I have just finished transferring a live concert from cassette into Pro Tools 2022.4 and after each side of the cassette ran out, I stopped recording and resumed after flipping the cassette. Each time it creates a new clip correct? I am unable to playback two of the three clips I have for three tracks. In the Pro Tools Edit window I can Reveal in Finder and see the Clips and each has as expected a good amount of data yet I don't understand how to play them back. I have attached a screen shot depicting what I see. Any insight would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT - Where are Clips.jpg (40.6 KB, 0 views)
Pro Tools Studio 2023.12.1, Mac Studio 2023 M2 Ultra, 64GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6.4 (22G513), UAD Apollo X8, Apollo x6 x2, UAD-2-Satellite-TB3-Octo, UAD-2-Satellite-TB3-Quad, Avid Dock w/ iPad Pro 12.9", Avid S1 x 2 w/ iPad Air 10.9", Neumann KH 310 w/ KH750 Sub, Genelec 8320A, Adam Audio T7V w/ Sub8, G-Technology TB3 x 6
Old 05-10-2022, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Where are my clips?

Can't make out anything useful on that unfortunately downsampled by DUC screenshot.

If you are looking at the clip list right click on the clip you want and do reveal in Workspace... then drag that item or others in the Workspace onto an audio track to add it there or just unto an unused part of the mix window and it will create a track for it. Easy Peazy.

Or you can also choose to listen to the clip in Workspace if you want.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Rick View Post
Hi,

I have just finished transferring a live concert from cassette into Pro Tools 2022.4 and after each side of the cassette ran out, I stopped recording and resumed after flipping the cassette. Each time it creates a new clip correct? I am unable to playback two of the three clips I have for three tracks. In the Pro Tools Edit window I can Reveal in Finder and see the Clips and each has as expected a good amount of data yet I don't understand how to play them back. I have attached a screen shot depicting what I see. Any insight would be appreciated.
Can't make out much from your screenshot either.
Looks like you did it multi-mono instead of interleaved (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me if this is just stereo and you want to playback stereo later from other players.)
Yes, stop/start recording creates individual clips.
What are you trying to play this back with? Some players don't like 32 bit files if you had your Pro Tools session in 32 bit when recording. You could export clips (or save session copy with convert) to 24 bit.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:55 PM

I'm attempting this again folks so thanks for your patience. Here's the Cliff Notes version of this session.

I'm transferring a live concert from cassette into Pro Tools. For redundancy as well as additional option I wanted to record Stereo, Left and Right...three tracks. For each of these three tracks I created an Aux Track into an Audio track. This concert spanned two cassettes so after side one finished I actually stopped the recording; that should be Clip(s) 1 for Stereo, Left and Right. After flipping the cassette to side two I recorded until the end and stopped the recording; Clip(s) 2 for Stereo, Left and Right and for side one of the second cassette the same thing creating Clip(s) 3 for Stereo, Left and Right.

If I look at the clips list and reveal in Finder I see each track has a fair amount of data based upon the size of each clip / file. However when I try to playback from the very beginning my Edit window is truncated and looks empty for Clip(s) 1. Yet if I create a new Audio track and drag the missing clip / file into it I get the expected audio. I hope the new screen show works for you.

Thank You!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edit Window.jpg (45.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Reveal in Finder.jpg (39.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Clips List.jpg (33.2 KB, 0 views)
Pro Tools Studio 2023.12.1, Mac Studio 2023 M2 Ultra, 64GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6.4 (22G513), UAD Apollo X8, Apollo x6 x2, UAD-2-Satellite-TB3-Octo, UAD-2-Satellite-TB3-Quad, Avid Dock w/ iPad Pro 12.9", Avid S1 x 2 w/ iPad Air 10.9", Neumann KH 310 w/ KH750 Sub, Genelec 8320A, Adam Audio T7V w/ Sub8, G-Technology TB3 x 6
Old 05-10-2022, 07:49 PM

The screenshots are equally useless, esp. nobody can see the routing and just reposting the same mix window image, the useful one that shows the routing, is not going to help. You can post the image file on different website and post the link here. Or you could share the session.

But the more you explain this the less I understand what you are doing or why.

Redundancy? Huh? It's the same input signal there is no redundancy?

Auxes? Why?

I have no idea what's going on here. But might be as simple as accidently clicking in a window and moving a record start point. But I cannot fathom wanting to do anything here but the most trivial thing, and just record the stereo signal to a stereo track. Makes no difference if you use stereo interleaved or whatever. KISS. Just get the signal into the DAW and then you can then do whatever you want. Duplicate it, bounce to disk, seperate channels, etc. etc.

Again why are Auxes involved? Even if there was was a reason to record multiple tracks from a single source just select the appropriate inputs on those tracks, no aux needed.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:22 PM

Seriously...KISS?!

Don't respond if you're going to be insulting. Unreal
Old 05-10-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Rick View Post
Seriously...KISS?!

Don't respond if you're going to be insulting. Unreal
You have a problem. You have not explained clearly what/why/how you are doing something that I expect will appear weird to most users. What you are trying to do can be done trivially simply. What do you expect people to do? Waste their time trying to pull information out trying to reverse engineer why you are doing something that appears to make no sense. Or comment it makes no sense and there is an obvious simple way to do what you want. If I have it wrong them please just explain why you are trying to do this, and I expect folks will help you. Otherwise just record a stereo track and get work done. I already offered one suggestion for what might have happened? A simple reset of the recording point--did it?
Old 05-10-2022, 09:19 PM

Hi,

It seems you’re focusing on my process rather than the issue. I don’t know why the screen shots I uploaded aren’t clear and for that I apologize. I have a template in Pro Tools that I’ve used for the last week to transfer just shy of one hundred cassettes of a tour I did some years ago. The issue isn’t the amount of clips this particular session created but rather why one track isn’t being displayed in my edit screen. The Clips list shows it, (Stereo - P_01) yet I am unable to see the recorded clip in the timeline. If I drag the clip onto a new track it works fine.

I’ve just not seen that before.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:15 PM

The screenshots are not clear because DUC is downscaling the images, nothing you are doing wrong. If you want to post high resolution images we can see the easy way to do that is post them on a file sharing site like Dropbox or Google Drive and share the link here. It's very annoying DUC has such tiny image file sizes.

Look don't get me wrong, if you are seeing broken behavior I'd love to help solve that, even regardless of why you are doing what you are. Broken is broken. But at the root of the description here I am having problems exactly understand what you are doing.

And my guess about what might be is simply you accidently clicked early in the timeline of a track would not match what I can see in your clip list, I'd expect to see a <filename>-01 for the part of the previous clip that was left visible in your track/the part before where the cursor was when you started recording.

The audio is perfectly fine and all songs in the correct order if you listen thought all the files in the Workspace and they all play for the amount of time you expect, no long runs of silence etc.?

Are you using playlists or destructive record? No I can't immediately see how you get this from either of those but wanted to ask (destructive record can be confusing at times with appearing not to recording through clip boundaries).
Old 05-11-2022, 04:50 AM

Hi,
Rick....
Sit back, have a cool drink, take a breath.
You have one of the best guys giving you personal help for free.
It is very difficult to talk someone through a problem when they are adding unnecessary steps to the process.
No one is being rude or nasty, it's just hard to get the necessary info sometimes.
"KISS" is not an insult, but a way of life.