How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2022, 11:13 PM

Default Put a pause, or comma, into a Pro Tools song

Hi,

some music I'm recording has a comma on the staff, meaning a pause, maybe up to 2 seconds. It would be good to insert that, and still have the bar numbering not change.

How would you put a pause in? Just stop the music, let the echo trail.

Could put in a new bar, and have the timing and beat signature set to make the short pause happen, but then the bar numbering changes. Could bounce the mix, cut it up and feed it to the reverb, but that seems painful and recurring.
There is probably no free lunch, but if you know a way, could you please post it?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2022, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Put a pause, or comma, into a Pro Tools song

Use the tempo ruler with the conductor on and put in a big tempo change for just the last quartet note of the bar before the pause. Then put the tempo back for the first beat of the next bar.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-21-2022, 11:56 PM

Change the meter of the bar you need the pause in and add some rests.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Use the tempo ruler with the conductor on and put in a big tempo change for just the last quartet note of the bar before the pause. Then put the tempo back for the first beat of the next bar.
Thanks, I'm working on that now, learning how to use the tempo, in order to try your suggestion. I think it will work and keep my bar numbering unchanged.

Just finished. It worked great, Thanks!

Of course, I had to handle the sample-based audio differently, cutting and moving, using a little dot in the clip gain line to tell me where the beat is supposed to hit, and then when the new beat is found from the new bpm setting, I slide the audio over so that the dot aligns with the correct beat.

Last edited by GregX; 04-23-2022 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Change the meter of the bar you need the pause in and add some rests.
This is a good idea too, thanks. I'm trying the bpm change first, and we'll see.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregX View Post
Of course, I had to handle the sample-based audio differently, cutting and moving, using a little dot in the clip gain line to tell me where the beat is supposed to hit, and then when the new beat is found from the new bpm setting, I slide the audio over so that the dot aligns with the correct beat.
You can use Markers to do the same thing. Put a Marker where you want the beginning of the Audio Clip to be. You can even name it and have Track Height and Zoom and more included. Put the Grid in Clips and Markers and turn the Grid on. Now just bring the Audio Clip to the Marker and the Clip will soft snap to the Marker.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-24-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregX View Post
Just use a grid (as Weed described) and sync points (command+comma) in the audio files. You can align instantly to where-ever you want.

The problem with doing it the variable tempo way is, if this is going to be recorded, that means you end up with variable/garbage click leaving a section and going into the new section (the pickup.) Players hate that and you have to build lead-in click tracks for the actual tempo of the section you resume into. changing the meter for a bar and adding rests, none of that is an issue. (also, it looks less like a mess for copyist/orchestrators who receive MIDI; different programs handle tempo changes differently when it comes to ramps)
Old 04-24-2022, 09:03 PM

Default Put a pause, or comma, into a Pro Tools song

Quote:
The problem with doing it the variable tempo way is, if this is going to be recorded, that means you end up with variable/garbage click leaving a section and going into the new section (the pickup.)
Please forgive my ignorance, but I don’t understand this reasoning. Any time I’ve had to lengthen a rest, I enable the all group, cut at the downbeat, and drag out as appropriate. Then disable the all group, customize the cuts trimming one way or the other or adding a fade if necessary. Last, make sure there’s something in the hole like a reverb tail, delay, or “air” to keep it from being an empty nothingness. Bob’s your uncle.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 04-24-2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but I don’t understand this reasoning. Any time I’ve had to lengthen a rest, I enable the all group, cut at the downbeat, and drag out as appropriate. Then disable the all group, customize the cuts trimming one way or the other or adding a fade if necessary. Last, make sure there’s something in the hole like a reverb tail, delay, or “air” to keep it from being an empty nothingness. Bob’s your uncle.
This has to do with tracking rather than with editing.
A steady tempo rather than one manipulated to extend parts of a single bar is preferable since the click/counter also stays steady.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
This has to do with tracking rather than with editing.
A steady tempo rather than one manipulated to extend parts of a single bar is preferable since the click/counter also stays steady.

Okay, I can see that.