Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-26-2022, 09:01 AM

Default Delay compensation and recording issue

I just recorded the voice for the first time in a PT project with many audio and midi tracks on it.
I soon realized that there was a huge latency and the voice came back very delayed thru the headphones
I discovered that disabling Delay compensation the latency disappeared.
What is it for?
I read on the manual that it is used to eliminate some latency when you have many tracks and plugins, but disabling it (apart from removing the latency on recording) I did not notice any difference.
Any comment?
Thank you
ITALY
Old 03-26-2022, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Delay compensation and recording issue

Here is some info on delay and Delay Compensation to tuck away in the old brain bucket
Here is how delay happens:
1-Playback Buffer setting. Keep it low for lowest delay, aka "latency" while recording. Keep it high to relieve stress on the computer for big mixes(lots of plugins). Knowing how to balance these 2 needs(low latency vs system power) is key to recording(just push the buffer to its max for mixing, when latency won't matter).
2-Plugin latency(which is what Delay Compensation is going to compensate for). The most basic idea is; no matter how much latency any given plugin(or combination of plugins) causes, Delay Compensation will keep all tracks in perfect time with each other. Remember that this works by finding the track with the highest total latency, and making the other tracks LATER to match(so this is never a solution for recording latency. Its not possible for any DAW to speed up processing time). Certain plugins have too much latency for Delay Comp to "fix". The solution there is to use the Audiosuite version and render new audio(so you don't need to use that plugin on an insert). If you set your MIX window to show Delay Compensation(a wise thing to do) and you see any numbers in red, that indicates too much plugin latency to compensate for.
3-Plugins on the Master Track are NOT compensated(and don't need to be, in order to keep all your tracks in time with each other).
4-Lastly, the "wild card"; there is one more way for latency to occur, when it shouldn't. If you have a send on any track and the send goes nowhere, this will confuse the Delay Comp process(example: you use a send on your lead vocal to feed an AUX track with a delay plugin>you change your mind and delete the AUX track, but you don't delete the send).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-27-2022, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Delay compensation and recording issue

Very useful Dave. Thanks
ITALY