Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2015, 03:25 PM

Default Please Avid rep clarify perpetual license

My question previously was never answered. If i buy a perpetual license now, and DONT subscribe to the plan, do i get to use the LATEST update at the TIME i bought the license? So say I buy perpetual now, will thr latest version I will ever be able to use be 12.4 (because 12.4 is the latest update at this time if i bought it) and nothing beyond if i dont subscribe? Or does avid revoke it all and force you to stay on 12.0.0?
Old 12-23-2015, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Please Avid rep clarify perpetual license

from my understanding, the PT Perpetual License will work after your support plan expire; you'll lose Avid tech support and associated plugins that came with the plan.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:30 PM

Well seeing you can get a perp license WITH 1 year annual plan and all that comes with that for $370 I can't see why you would not buy into that. You have updates for a full year and support and if/when you decide to jump off you will have that last version you had when you stopped paying for the plan.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-23-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf View Post
My question previously was never answered. If i buy a perpetual license now, and DONT subscribe to the plan, do i get to use the LATEST update at the TIME i bought the license? So say I buy perpetual now, will thr latest version I will ever be able to use be 12.4 (because 12.4 is the latest update at this time if i bought it) and nothing beyond if i dont subscribe? Or does avid revoke it all and force you to stay on 12.0.0?

You will be locked in at whichever version is currently installed on your system.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 12-23-2015, 06:58 PM

Thanks and how does one cancel their annual subscription plan? I want to get the perpetual instead, i know the annual is that u have to wait 1 year butwhat if i want to cancel it now? Close my credit cars and wait for the payment to reject and cancel me out the plan or can i just call avid and have it stoppes? Im talking annual plan not monthly
Old 12-23-2015, 11:38 PM

I΄m not an Avid employee so I cannot tell you for sure but I guess there will be no trouble free way to cancel your annual subscription now.

You signed a contract with Avid when you confirmed to buy the annual subscription which is a valid legally thing finally.
You may try to close your credit card and try to force Avid to cancel you out of the plan but I seriously doubt that they will let you go without
any fallout for you.
As mentioned before by confirming to buy the annual subscription you officially have signed a legal sales contract with Avid which means you
have legally commited yourself to pay for it.

You may do whatever you think it will be best for you but seriously I would rather recommend to leave it how it is, use your Pro Tools software
for this year and just see what you can do after it. I assume this will save you a lot troubles.

By the way you will not get any perpetual license without an upgrade plan! Means, you only can get any perpetual license including a 1 year
upgrade plan at least. There is no official perpetual license without an upgrade plan you can buy!

All the best to you anyway.

Happy holidays.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the info

gonna cancel my card now and force the hand. Fallout, shmallout who cares. None of the avid reps care to look at mybthreads when i asked for help anyway
Old 12-24-2015, 12:27 AM

Default Please Avid rep clarify perpetual license

The subscription plan can be stopped at any time.. That's the hole idea.. You pay when you need it.. The perpetual license, has to be updated ones every year.. If not it will stop at the last version at the end of the period.. Then if you like to update later on you have to buy back in..I get it's confusing, but there are 2 ways.. rent(Subscription) perpetual license( own) and If you own it you have to pay for the update plan to be current. It's not that hard..if you buy a perpetual license you will get one year of updates.. Next year if you don't buy the update plan before it ends you need to buy back in later if you like to update.. Just as with the Waves plan..
And that will be more expensive..but you're decision. All this noise around this I don't get, it quite simple and if you own the software 99$ a year to stay current is fine..

Last edited by thewiz; 12-24-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info

gonna cancel my card now and force the hand. Fallout, shmallout who cares. None of the avid reps care to look at mybthreads when i asked for help anyway
Just a reminder, which is also posted in the term of use of this forum and to which you agreed to, to use this forum, this is a user forum provided by avid and even though some of the Avid folks post here, Avid has no obligation to post in any threads, and with the number of threads started every day, many of them may fall out of their view.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-24-2015, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks and how does one cancel their annual subscription plan? I want to get the perpetual instead, i know the annual is that u have to wait 1 year butwhat if i want to cancel it now? Close my credit cars and wait for the payment to reject and cancel me out the plan or can i just call avid and have it stoppes? Im talking annual plan not monthly
Thing is, the perpetual UPGRADE plan (with or without support) is for those who already own Pro Tools. If you don't you need to buy it first to be eligible. Avid doesn't give you a perpetual license for $99 or $199 a year. Depending on your budget, just don't forget that when you decide to "cancel" your subscription.