Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 PM

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
No one is "forced" to buy anyone's hardware. It's a choice. Apple changed their model to combat the larger PC market and it is working. They have their largest share of that market since 1995 because they know how to market to their potential consumers. Yes, they have made a point to be more concerned with the non pro market, however they have not abandoned pros considering the recent updates to the MacPro. Also in this post you point out that Digi was more successful when they held to the hardware model. Since abandoning their hardware tie ProTools has become less stable and the company is failing.
Hello. They have not abandoned professionals completely yet, but they have a history of doing whatever they damn please, whenever they want to, without notice and without regard to who may be affected. There are many examples, the most obvious being Shake.

Again, Apple can NOT be the model for any discussion of professional software. When people compare any audio software to Logic @ $200, it's not an apples to apples discussion (pun intended). Apple can sell people Logic for $200 because they sell iPhones and iPads, etc. And as you can see from the mission statement that I put on my link before, professional applications are not even mentioned anymore. In other words, professional applications have never been the priority for them, specially now with all the consumer electronics they sell.

I have used this comment many times before because it illustrates my point very well. Walk into any mall in the US or the world. Apple can and will sell something to just about every single person there. Whether it's a phone, tablet, computer, Apple TV, etc. Young, old, all walks of life, backgrounds, etc. When you look around at that mall at that point, you may be the only person out of all those people that is a customer for Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc. Do you see why Apple can afford to give their software away dirt cheap? They could care less if anyone in the world buys Logic or not, they want to sell gadgets to everyone in that mall. Or go to a football game or any gathering of the general public. At best, potential professional software customers are 1% or less of the people there, but Apple can sell stuff to 100% of those people.

The fact that they give away their software for free or dirt cheap is what I mean that they can NOT be the model for any discussion of professional software. That much should be crystal clear for anyone. If anyone wants to compare Pro Tools to Ableton, Cubase, Reaper, Digital Performer, etc go ahead. Logic just can not be a factor because Apple is playing on a different financial model than the rest of the world.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:03 PM

I don't understand the hate on for consumer, hobbyist, and prosumer markets. The software is already written. Piracy of ProTools is negligible. How can you not make money on that?

Give me a break. It's a joke. Don't blame your lousy management decisions on "the market" - there are lots of companies making lots of money selling software.

ps - unless you have actual numbers and a source don't argue about "support" either - everybody knows that is another joke.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post

So what if PTHD Software is 4.34*$599 = $2602 to buy back in if we let our plan lapse...

Trick or Treat??

Please - say it ain't so !!!!!!
And what about the fact that you can't even buy the HD version on its own...

will they make us buy another HDX system just to get on the new software?

clearly their current goal is to cut their user base significantly to just the people that MUST be on PT and MC. Since everyone else is either going to be pissed off or just not even realize that they have to act in 2 months or be left behind.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:12 PM

Default New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUNDDECISION View Post
And what about the fact that you can't even buy the HD version on its own...

will they make us buy another HDX system just to get on the new software?

clearly their current goal is to cut their user base significantly to just the people that MUST be on PT and MC. Since everyone else is either going to be pissed off or just not even realize that they have to act in 2 months or be left behind.

I'm not sure they ever will sell HD software separately. My guess is a subscription will be your only choice once you let your support plan expire and your perpetual license gets "locked in place".
Old 10-30-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:

"Ouch. That seems harsh." " (it actually says that)

What?

You have to post a screen shot.

Unbelievable!
Old 10-30-2014, 03:25 PM

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 6.24.15 PM.png
Old 10-30-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
however they have not abandoned pros considering the recent updates to the MacPro.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-30-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
and why such sudden and short notice??
Well, to be fair I've known about this deadline for a long time (earlier this year I think) - they did put the info out there. But everything else you say I agree with, and it's why I've been asking for about 30-40 pages what the response by the video community has been, but no-one has replied. They're a year ahead of what we will all be going through - it couldn't be more relevant.

It's all rather odd. I remember reading the video forums after the bombshell dropped originally, and it was pretty much like this thread from memory. But now there's a whole subforum just dedicated to licensing - http://community.avid.com/forums/376.aspx - and there's hardly a scrap of activity. Everyone seems perfectly ok with it. Are replies being censored? Is the action elsewhere? Have the entire pro video community decided its actually a great deal?

I've thought for some time that Avid might well renege on their "your license can't be updated" deal at some future point. It's suicidal. It's one thing when the upgrade price is the same as FCP retail, but when it's 4x FCP retail.... phew. With no incentive for any pre MC8 to upgrade, ever, it seems self evident they will hemorrhage customers. Apple / Sony / Adobe just have to stay awake, really. They're effectively calling their customers bluff, en masse. So in 18 months time I'd expect my "one-time only offer to MC7 license holders".

And the same might well end up being true for PT as well. But it is, of course, one helluva gamble.

Actually, I just found THIS thread - http://community.avid.com/forums/t/130436.aspx . It is well worth a read, to gaze into all our futures.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-30-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Wow...that's a pretty crappy way to treat your customers.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 10-30-2014, 03:48 PM

It's been said already and I'm sure that this is all perfectly legal and within their T&Cs, etc. ... but users have bought in to an ownership/licensing model which is being pulled from under their feet. For some, the investment in the platform is quite significant and it feels like a bait and switch move which, if applied by a company with a much larger user base (like discussed above regarding the ubiquity of Apple products), this would be on the 10 o'clock news!
Closed Thread