Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 05-28-2009, 06:52 PM

Default Installation error: cyclic redundancy check

Just got my Mbox2 mini today, but can't get anything to install. The install makes it part way through, then generates the following error:

Feature: Applications File
Component: Controllers - Common
File: D:\Pro ToolsLE Installer\data2.cab
Error: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)

I've tried several times and get the same error, although it happens in different places. Sometimes the feature is "Documentation - Plug-Ins" and once it was just "Documentation."

I'm running Vista 32-bit. AMD 64X2 4600 processor and 3GB of RAM.

I've done a search and come up with little help. Has anyone seen this problem? Know what I can do to fix it?

Thanks.

Randy
Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Installation error: cyclic redundancy check

Well, I'm already more than 5 hours into this and have made zero progress. Certainly not off to a good start with digidesign.

Any help out there at all?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Is this a download or dvd installer?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-28-2009, 09:50 PM

It's a dvd install.

I read somewhere in these forums about trying a download, but I've searched the digidesign site high and low and couldn't find anywhere to download it from. Is there a link?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:10 AM

Thats often a general error related to either optical drives not reading the media correctly or in the case of writing data to a ailing hard drive.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-29-2009, 06:30 AM

My optical drive is fine. So is my hard drive. Both are less than a year old and both work flawlessly for dozens of other applications and hundreds of dvds.

I tried to copy all the files to my hard drive and that failed part way through too. So I copied all the files to my laptap, transferred them to my desktop, and installed locally. I didn't get the error, but the install just hung part way through and stopped responding. Rolled everything back, and tried again.

Finally, the install worked. But when I started PT8 I received the "unable to locate hardware" message. Spent another hour or two reading the forums and trying to work through that... to no avail.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by randych View Post
My optical drive is fine. So is my hard drive. Both are less than a year old and both work flawlessly for dozens of other applications and hundreds of dvds.

I tried to copy all the files to my hard drive and that failed part way through too. So I copied all the files to my laptap, transferred them to my desktop, and installed locally. I didn't get the error, but the install just hung part way through and stopped responding. Rolled everything back, and tried again.

Finally, the install worked. But when I started PT8 I received the "unable to locate hardware" message. Spent another hour or two reading the forums and trying to work through that... to no avail.
Can you post your system specs (using Sandra) so we can see where the problem might be?

Info can be found in the Help Us Help You thread...
Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter how new the optical drive is are or even what other disks or software are working; the unit might still need to be updated, either driver or firmware.

We would be able to give you more information about that if you would post the details that have been requested.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-29-2009, 02:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the offers of help, but I've decided to send it back. Between the hours I've already put into this, reading through the numerous issues on these forums, and looking at the Vista optimization and troubleshooting guide, I'm just not up to dealing with the voodoo required to get this working.

I'm no stranger to complicated computer install/configuration issues, but I've never come across a product as temperamental as this one seems to be.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:

The fact that the media worked on the optical drive in your laptop and not your desktop should tell you something about the optical drive in your desktop. Not all media works flawlessly in all optical drives all of the time. Updating the drives firmware as SPK suggest can help. Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers also. You need to post a Sandra report.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88