Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 09-19-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Using 3rd party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro T

To Spk Gtr...
Many thanks for you candid response, which I appreciate. I do not know whether or not you speak for PT , but I imagine they would agree with your comments. I will now off and see what if anything I can do with Cherry Picker...and see how far that gets me....I may also put the arm on Yamaha to produce something, but would not be too hopeful there.

Meanwhile while `i have your ear and `i see that you are a very active member (therefore committed) perhaps you can clarify a little something for me.....namely with my Yamaha Tyros (arranger Kbd) MIDIed up to MBox2 and Protools....is it possible to record the "Total" output from Tyros onto (up to) 16 midi channels at the one time. while also recording a vocal track on the Audio channel

I have tried to do this myself without success and have had conflicting from dealer users etc as to the possibilities.

If you can help please let me know, as having had Protools for 12 months now ...I'm kind of DESPERATE
If there is a way to do this, I need to find out how, in order to record i the way that I wish

I look forward to any responses on this issue
LeoD
Old 09-23-2006, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Using 3rd party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro Tools

To: DIGITECH TECH SUPPORT....ADMINISTRATOR
& To: ALL

Further my difficulties in this area and some posts on same , I have been working hard on "Yamaha TYROS" Middev and Madnam files, following the good instructions by tech Admin on the subject at the start of this thread..
I have also bee following instructions on Page 194 of instruction manual on "Recording to instrument & MIDI tracks...in particular...recording MULTIPLE channels from the same device, capturing data from a SPLIT keyboard.

For the first time I have had some limited success, but not yet quite right. I was hoping to upload some files to show what I have done but do not see a facility for this. I will therefore have to explain as best I can ...the results of my efforts.

1. 12 Channels armed for rec in MIDI
2. All channels recorded some reflecting the correct sounds....others just play as Piano
3. Occassionally I get some funny sounds like "Whistle" coming in
4. Channel Volumes/Pans do not reflect the vols/Pans set on Kbd.

Middev File.... I modified Yamaha's CVP107/109 Middev to Tyros.
Midnam.......... ditto ditto... Please note that the Patch name files seem to bear no relation to the way patches (voices) are organised on the Tyros...eg under Piano you will find all sorts like strings...brass.. flute ...almost anything.

As an alternative I have got my hands on a TYROS Patch list ...which seems to be organised ..per the keyboard,but this is a .txt file & not .xml Protoole does not seem to recognise same.
In this file voices/Patches are organised in groups and listed as follows....

" PIANO BANK" *11
(0 113 0) [001] "Grand Piano"
(0 112 1) [002] "Bright Piano"
(0 112 6) [003] "Harpsichord"
etc; etc;
As I said this listing is organised exactly as per the TYROS....ie in banks and voices...
Perhaps ther is a way to convert these to xml or a format which PT recognises

It's a pity I could not upload the files I mentioned...or is there a way which this may be done...

I look forward to some helpful responses on my queries

Many thanks
LeoD

Old 09-23-2006, 06:34 PM

re: Yamaha TYROS

- Do you have a list of the banks of presets?
- Do you know what the bank select codes (MSB/LSB or cc00/cc32) are used to recall the banks over MIDI?

If you have this, I can make you the patch list using CherryPicker in almsot as much time as it's taken to write this message.

Happy to do it for you if you can track down the above.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
re: Yamaha TYROS

- Do you have a list of the banks of presets?
- Do you know what the bank select codes (MSB/LSB or cc00/cc32) are used to recall the banks over MIDI?

If you have this, I can make you the patch list using CherryPicker in almsot as much time as it's taken to write this message.

Happy to do it for you if you can track down the above.

ACCESSION
Thank you so much for your response above....you have made my day.
The TYROS Manual makes no reference at all to "Bank Sel Codes MSB/LSB...however I don't think all is lost. I also own a PSR9000 (predecessor to Tyros) which has a much more detailed manual and happens to have the MSB / LSB codes for all the voices.

When checking this against the Tyros list I have I realised (as a lot of the voices/codes are the same ...that the coding in my last post actually includes the MSB / LSB coding...

example...."PIANO BANK * 11"
(0 113 0 ) [001 ] Grand Piano
Reading the numbers from left to right.........0=MSB code (all tyros voices have 0 as MSB code)
113=LSB code
0=MIDI change programme no.
[001]=Category order ....the order that the voice appears on kbd display

Assuming that this is the info you require I will e-mail you the TYROS list I have.....if you forward a mail add. to "[email protected]"

I would be most graeful for your assistance..
best regards
LeoD
Old 09-24-2006, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I would be most graeful for your assistance..
best regards
LeoD
Check you email. There's a start there.

Turning out to take longer than expected given the MSB/LSB are in no particular to cater for the custom banks (that Pro Tools doesn't support as such).
Old 11-20-2006, 06:08 PM

Default DR 880 Boss midnam Patch?

Any one having knowledge of a Boss DR 880 Patch for PT ??

I can't make the DR 880 to replay the program changes I recorded in PT... maybe it's because of not using the right patch ??? ...
Old 01-27-2007, 09:02 AM

Default Re: DR 880 Boss midnam Patch?

I am also looking for a DR-880 midnam patch. I've searched the web and so far no luck. If you have one or find one, I would appreciate getting a copy. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 PM

i had some trouble with the Roland SC-880.., (i eventually had to remove device from midi studio and create it again to stop it from crashing evrytime I tried to open the patch list) I have found both midnam and middev files in the protools files.., I have read through all the thread and nowhere do you say (with all respect) where to put the .middev file or if the middev and midnam file go into the same 'MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Patch Names>' folder, or are they copied and pasted as one file and then placed in the MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Patch Names> folder.., or do you copy the middev script and paste it in the texteditor as a separate file, separate from the file with the lists of .middev scripts.

what I need to know is where do and how do.., the .middev

the midnam. I understand goes into the 'MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Patch Names>' folder

thanks for any help.

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 PM

found the DR-880 in rolands set of .midman

somewhere on this thread is a link that will take you there, download the 1 meg file and you will find your DR-880 (55 or whatever, they are all there) there.

anyone can help me with how to use both midnam and middev I would be eternally grateful and so would my computer, PT and my SC-880
cheers

PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 03-22-2007, 07:51 PM

the fix for patching the 880?? OK.., I found it.., get the SC-88 from the generic list in the middev folder, look for and copy copy the 'SC-88' file with the text editor, put it into the same folder as the 'midi patch' folder HD/libary/audio/midi patchnames. find the SC-88 midnam in the roland list in the midi patch folder and change the name in the file with the text editor from SC-88 to SC-880 and thats it. now select the SC-88.madnam and you are in buisness.

you only have to add one 0 to the name of the device in the midnam file.., not the whole script.., and away you go. no problem, all instruments and banks available.., like magic

PT 7.3.6. M Box2