Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-06-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Duplicating Tracks

Let's say I have one fab guitar track. If I duplicate it and then pan the two, will there be phase (or any other) probs. I just tried it and it made it sound like both tracks were panned on top of each other right at the center pretty much. When I put a slap back delay on the 2nd track, it seemed to fix things.

Is there a standard way of doing this (other than simply re-recording a double part)?

THANKS!!
Old 03-06-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Duplicating Tracks

The best way is to record another take with a slightly different tone. Duplicating the track does not give the same result, even if you nudge/delay it as it will contain a consistent phase relationship. What makes stereo guitars sound so full is that the performances vary ever so slightly making the phase relationship in flux, and the different tone further distances yourself from audible phasing problems.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the reply. Let's say I was going to just dup a track (not re-record, e.g., if the track is too hard to successfully play again w/o sounding sloppy), what's the best way to go about it to avoid phase problems? Delay it slightly? Just dup it and leave it alone? Thanks!
Old 03-07-2005, 08:05 AM

If you've got to do it that way (in which case I'd say just leave the track in mono), put a different EQ on the track to begin with, then I'd cut the duplicated track into segments and use a combination of time compression/expansion and pitch shift on different segments with very very moderate settings - less than 1% in most cases, just to give the duplicated track enough modulation over the original to let it stand out. You're definitely going to get some artifacts though, so you'll have to use your ears as to what sounds acceptible so some experimenting will be in order, but in the end it will sound better than just a delay and keep you from having phase cancellelation issues if you ever have to listen to your track in Mono.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Let's say I have one fab guitar track. If I duplicate it and then pan the two, will there be phase (or any other) probs. I just tried it and it made it sound like both tracks were panned on top of each other right at the center pretty much. When I put a slap back delay on the 2nd track, it seemed to fix things.

Is there a standard way of doing this (other than simply re-recording a double part)?

THANKS!!
Fundamentally, there is no difference between:

a) recording a track, panning it hard left, duplicating it, and panning the duplicate hard right

and

b) recording something on a stereo track and panning it center.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 03-07-2005, 08:34 AM

there is an absolute difference if your talking about a true stereo recording (2 mics simutaneously). There is no way to get a mono signal and duplicate it and get a tru stereo representation with out the artifacts and still have cohesiveness
Old 03-07-2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
there is an absolute difference if your talking about a true stereo recording (2 mics simutaneously). There is no way to get a mono signal and duplicate it and get a tru stereo representation with out the artifacts and still have cohesiveness
Well, of course. I wasn't talking about a stereo source.

I was speaking of recording a single source; whether you a) record it panned center on a stereo track, or b) record it on a mono track, pan it hard left, duplicate it, and pan the duplicate hard right. You get the same thing either way, in the sense that when you play them back they sound the same.

The OP was trying to generate a stereo sound by recording a mono track panned one way and duplicating it on another track and panning it the other, and he said that it just sounded like it was a mono track panned center. That's exactly what it should sound like; it's the same data on both channels either way you get there.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 03-07-2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Well, of course. I wasn't talking about a stereo source.

I was speaking of recording a single source; whether you a) record it panned center on a stereo track, or b) record it on a mono track, pan it hard left, duplicate it, and pan the duplicate hard right. You get the same thing either way, in the sense that when you play them back they sound the same.

The OP was trying to generate a stereo sound by recording a mono track panned one way and duplicating it on another track and panning it the other, and he said that it just sounded like it was a mono track panned center. That's exactly what it should sound like; it's the same data on both channels either way you get there.

then you would be correct sir.. I knew what you meant but i just wanted to add my 2 cents becus some people get easily confused and decepted