Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2016, 07:23 AM

Default Now you see it, now you don't.

Strange. Three days ago, PT12.5 was in my account. Now it's not.

Additionally, my Annual Upgrade Plan now suddenly says:

Time Period: Nov 07, 2014 - to - Nov 06, 2015

Start date is OK, but end date is actually Mar 31, 2016.

Last edited by hooksound; 04-05-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Now you see it, now you don't.

My account looks normal again, thanks.

Sorry for asking again, but after being on a plan for ~1.5 years, this is still not clear to me: After expiration of current upgrade plan, will I receive bug fixes, let's say 12.5.1?

I have read somewhere here on the DUC, that there is a 30 day grace period for renewing ones upgrade plan. Where is this stated officially?
Old 04-05-2016, 01:42 AM

Glad to hear that's resolved (we are still working through a few account issues and processing the Edu products).

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/F...aseEligibility describes updates and http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/F...ng-FAQ#Options mentions the grace period.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-05-2016, 02:57 AM

This is clear now, thanks.

So, no bug fixes after plan expires.

However, I seem to remember a debate here on the DUC, where avid promised to deliver some kind of dot (or dotdot) releases also after plan expiration. Have I misunderstood that as well?

Last edited by hooksound; 04-05-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooksound View Post
This is clear now, thanks.

So, no bug fixes after plan expires.

However, I seem to remember a debate here on the DUC, where avid promised to deliver some kind of dot (or dotdot) releases also after plan expiration. Have I misunderstood that as well?
No you haven't misunderstood, except .....

Any bugfix releases will be free for your version, but that depends on Avid actually releasing what they deem to be bug fix releases.

Classic case .... People in another thread are asking whether there will be 12.4.x bug fix releases for people who haven't got 12.5 because they don't have a current support plan.

Answer .... IF Avid release any, they will be free ... But .... And that's the point .... WILL they release any?

Avid are silent on the subject, and I reckon it was all marketing hyperbole anyway. I just don't see it happening. Personally, I'll be absolutely shocked out of my cynical interpretation of everything Avid says these days if any further 12.4.x bug fix releases appear.

And, lets not forget, AFAIK some PT11 owners, i.e. those who are not HD and have not upgraded to PT12, have never been given access to 11.3.2, have they? Even though this whole new approach in theory only started wih PT12, Avid pulled a fast one with the 11.3.2 bug fix update to 'encourage people to upgrade to PT12.

Bottom line, 12.5 includes various bug fixes for 12.4, as well as new features exclusive to 12.5. If Avid is going to be true to its word, there should indeed be a 12.4.x release that includes the bug fixes that were included in 12.5, but not the new features.

What worries me more though is whether Avid can succesfully ensure that multiple release variants don't introduce new bugs because expected code is carved out.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Bottom line, 12.5 includes various bug fixes for 12.4, as well as new features exclusive to 12.5. If Avid is going to be true to its word, there should indeed be a 12.4.x release that includes the bug fixes that were included in 12.5, but not the new features.
Operating in this way will give Avid very little (maybe even none) incentive to fix bugs, Indeed it would be in their interest to continually have bugs to keep folks subscribed.....chasing the dream of PT actually fully working properly.

Oh how cynical of me.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 04-06-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Operating in this way will give Avid very little (maybe even none) incentive to fix bugs, Indeed it would be in their interest to continually have bugs to keep folks subscribed.....chasing the dream of PT actually fully working properly.

Oh how cynical of me.
Yes, and now we have clarity on Avid's policy, courtesy of link 1 in Jeffro's post, which links to a faq that clearly lumps bug fixes and new features togther and says you won't get bug fix releases unless you are covered by a current plan.

Totally contrary to what Tony Carridi's asserted in his bug fixes will continue to be free post when all this was originally beng discussed.

To me, that faq puts the final nail in the coffin of any hope of a 12.4.x bug fix only release, and anything similar in the future. There is no benefit whatsoever to Avid in doing a bug fix only release in parallel with a new features release that also includes bug fixes.

In effect, Avid have simplified their original release methodology, so that there is no parallel effort, meaning all work, whether bug fix or new feature, is integrated, with new features drip fed as and when they are 'ready', just like bug fixes, and accompanied by a successfully (in their view) improved monetisation of bug fixes.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 04-06-2016, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooksound View Post
Strange. Three days ago, PT12.5 was in my account. Now it's not.

Additionally, my Annual Upgrade Plan now suddenly says:

Time Period: Nov 07, 2014 - to - Nov 06, 2015

Start date is OK, but end date is actually Mar 31, 2016.
I have the same issue and i couldn't update my support plan till March 31 .For the last four weeks on my account my Pro Tools 12 Upgrade and Support Plan 2015 update says "No download available. This product is a code only, or available on your purchased discs."I thought that was due to my upcoming expiration date on March 31 but i couldn't find link or a solution for update my support plan.
What should i do?
Thanks
John
Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toun View Post
I have the same issue and i couldn't update my support plan till March 31 .For the last four weeks on my account my Pro Tools 12 Upgrade and Support Plan 2015 update says "No download available. This product is a code only, or available on your purchased discs."I thought that was due to my upcoming expiration date on March 31 but i couldn't find link or a solution for update my support plan.
What should i do?
Thanks
John
Hey John.

My account looked like that for ~1 week. According to avid, they are looking into that at the moment.

And yes, downloads used to reside under "Upgrade and Support Plan 2015". They have now all been moved to the top entry in the list - typically the original purchased product.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Totally contrary to what Tony Carridi's asserted in his bug fixes will continue to be free post when all this was originally beng discussed.
Yes, and this "guarantee" was the reason why many users went with avid in the first place and committed to a plan already in Q4 2014.

In this way, Pro Tools is a product without any warranty at all. In the old days, we had the CS updates. This new scheme is a step in the wrong direction. I'm not sure I can commit once more.