Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-14-1999, 11:22 PM

Default Logic vs Digi001 ???

I'm looking into my first HD recording system. Which system would be more straight forward to use & allow me to record a CD quality recording (midi & audio)? I've pretty much figured I need to bite the big one and get a Mac G4. What else do I need for both systems? Pros & cons from both sides of the fence would be appreciated.
Old 12-15-1999, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Logic vs Digi001 ???

from what I've seen:

Logic -

pros: deeper midi, way more customizable midi features than 001, strong plug ins, huge pro user base, integrates with pro tools/tdm (so later on, you may want to run Logic for midi and pro tools for audio, if you upgrade to a "real" pro tools system. this in my opinion is the best of both worlds.)

cons: supposed longer learning curve, not "all-in-one" - you have to buy a separate PCI card (audiowerk 8, AMIII, MOTU 1224, etc), a midi interface (midi timpepiece, unitor, etc), mic preamp(s). This, however, may be a plus, depending on what your current setup is/your long term goals, and you may want to get separate, stronger individual components for this.

001:

pros: huge pro user base on full tdm - you can bring your 001 files to a big studio's tdm system to mix, etc., user friendly pro tools interface, strong plug ins and third party support will be great; many features in a $1000 "starter" package that are hard to compete with if you are just starting from scratch - you get the ins/outs, the card, the preamp to connect mics, and the midi interface to connect a synth/sampler. plus the software. logic platinum is just software.

cons: the second you want to grow into something more high end, this box will be pretty obsolete - once you get the pro tools software down and want to be running many tracks, more professional mic preamps, several midi modules, and many plug ins (effects) for mixing and so on, you are going to want to upgrade- and the 001 will be traded in, which is what digi is promoting. Also the midi features on the 001 do not compare to Logic on a pro level.

It depends on your needs:

are you a midi musician or an acoustic musician laying down some live tracks with little midi background?

both systems will be host based and you will run into things like latency (delay from the time you play til the time you hear!) Get the biggest and baddest G4 you can afford - at least 256 mb ram.

There is no simple answer, since it depends on what your needs and long term goals are. If you go with Logic for midi, you will eventually be able to integrate it into the 001 for audio and the interface, so you will have both (I think this is really for the people who already use Logic and don't want to gove up their sequencer of choice, but want the interface of the 001 and pro tools le for audio! It will probably be easier for you to stick wih one program at first and learn that one!)

Both are great in different respects. It would be beneficial long term to know Pro Tools AND Logic, so whichever you decide, won't hurt you. Just think of your long term goals, your budget, and your style of working.

good luck
Old 12-15-1999, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Logic vs Digi001 ???

lespaul:

I agree with just about everything you said except for the midi interface and i/o. I have an MTP A/V hooked up to my PT 5.0 LE via OMS and am using 7 of the 8 midi ports with no problems. I'm not even using the built-in midi ports on the 001. This was one of the things I made sure I could use prior to my purchase. I did have to upgrade to the USB version of the MTP A/V, however.

Cubase VST/24 4.1 is another alternative to Logic Audio. That's my other midi/audio app. Lots of support for the VST plug ins (such as Waves and TC Works), and much better midi implementation than PT5LE.

Digital Performer is the other main contender in this field. I haven't heard good things about Vision's livelihood lately.

------------------
Larry W.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.