Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 02-01-2021, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Open Recent list is empty after restart

Thanks, I moved the cards around, checked the pref -> gen recent files number. Still no luck. Is there an effective way to clear preferences with PT 2020? I feel like some databasing file is missing from my Audio drive because it remembers new sessions that are created in the OS drive.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:53 PM

You trashed Preferences. That clears the Recent List. I f you didn't copy off your Preferences and then restored them, there will be nothing in the Recent List. And you've also lost any other Preference setting that isn't the default.

Since you're on Mac, search the forum for Pete Gate's Preference Helper.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-01-2021, 04:56 PM

Thanks, The weed. That is the app that originally caused the problem.
I trashed the preferences months ago and it empties the list after each restart. I suppose I could trash it all again, but that's what originally caused the problem.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:00 PM

IIRC, the latest app from Pete gate's allows you to save and restore your Preferences.

Can't help you more. I'm on Windows and use Trasher, which saves and restores Preferences. Plus I've never had my Recent List clear just by restarting my computer.
SonoBus
Old 02-02-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSchwabe View Post
Thanks, I moved the cards around, checked the pref -> gen recent files number. Still no luck. Is there an effective way to clear preferences with PT 2020? I feel like some databasing file is missing from my Audio drive because it remembers new sessions that are created in the OS drive.
Sorry but language is often clear to person writing or speaking it but not as clear to those reading or hearing it.
So organized precise and completely clear wording becomes extremely important for correct diagnosis on your part and understanding on ours.

#1 to clarify if you're running PT on your OS boot drive ? Then ALL sessions are "created" on the OS drive, because thats where PT is (Regardless of where they get stored )
Did you mean when sessions are designated to be " Stored" on the OS boot drive, they do show up in the "Recent" window ? BUT if designated to to stored on a different drive than the OS / PT/ Boot drive ? then when you save them to that other drive but relaunch PT they are not in "Recents" ??

Also it is more helpful and makes totally clear ,,to use actual number designations as opposed to adjectives,,,,,,
Does "the latest" 2020" mean 2020.12 ? It obviously should, but we have no way of knowing for certain what you might think the "latest" version is. Not trying to be smart aleck, just trying to clarify any possible confusion.... And same for "moved cards around" more helpful to state exactly which card slot number you had PT Native on and which exact number/s you have moved it to.

As to your question on preferences
I found this But am not certain it applies to 2020.12

"Trashing Pro Tools Preferences on macOS or MAC OS X
Pro Tools 11, 12, 2018+

Close Pro Tools and launch Finder.

Click Go and select Go to Folder…

Enter ~/Library/Preferences/Avid and click Go.

Delete the Pro Tools folder.

Restart your computer and launch Pro Tools."

If that does not work You may want to uninstall PT and reinstall it
Or (and this more often a suggestion for crashing) BUT if you have 3 rd party plugins you may want to move them out of PT and see if that does anything

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-03-2021, 07:37 AM

I apologize for the stress this problem is causing the forum.
I indeed have the most recent version of PT ultimate (2020.12)
I use a separates drive for audio because sessions are often 100 tracks or more. This is normal operation as far as I have ever seen. Yes, files default to the documents drive, but that is not where I store them. After each restart my recent list only shows sessions I recently opened that reside on the boot drive. The list does not populate with files found on my excelsior drive.

I have use the preferences trashing app again and it did not fix the problem. The list goes blank after each restart.
Thank you for all of your trouble shooting help thus far. It seems like this is a a stuck problem.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:12 AM

Still confusing.

Since you trashed Preferences, have you created or opened a session from your External drive or only created or opened sessions from your boot drive?

If it's the latter, then Pro Tools is working as it should. Trashing Preferences clears the Recent List, the same as if you just manually cleared it. No sessions will then show in the list until you create or open sessions unless you had copied off your Preferences and then put them back after trashing them and rebooting the computer and reopening Pro Tools.

If it's the former, and you have opened and/or created sessions from your External drive after trashing Preferences and those sessions are not in the Recent List, then Pro Tools is not working as it should. And I have no suggestions as to why.
SonoBus
Old 02-03-2021, 11:19 AM

All of my sessions that I open every day are on a separate audio drive and they do not show up in the recent list. That is the point of this thread.

Pro tools is indeed not working as it should.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSchwabe View Post
All of my sessions that I open every day are on a separate audio drive and they do not show up in the recent list. That is the point of this thread.

Pro tools is indeed not working as it should.
As said, when you trash prefs, this list gets cleared. The only way to restore the list is to save it(back it up) with the Pete Gates app BEFORE you trash prefs. Right now, you have no copy of the list to restore. If you open the sessions again, they will re-populate the list.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-03-2021, 02:09 PM

The reason I wrote this post is because every time that I reopen the sessions on the audio drive they show up in the recent list, however, when I reboot that list is empty. I have said that like 5 times.