Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2011, 11:30 AM

Default What external FX processor do you use in your live ER rig?

For those of you who supplement your ER with an outboard FX processor for live performance, what do you use and why?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Default Re: What external FX processor do you use in your live ER rig?

Hey Dave!

I don't use a processor per say - but I do have a few external pedals... which sort of fills the same purpose in theory.

I use a TU-2 tuner, DD-20 delay and TR-2 Trem in the ER fx loop.

I use the DD-20 because there are probably 8 - 12 songs where I play a specific delay. I have three specifically that I use for these dozen or so songs. My previous MFX experience has taught me that as I continue to familiarize myself with amp models I find different tones that I like. As I do that I like to be able to use those live with my band to determine which overall sit best in the mix, have the best overall or specific use tones, etc. As I do that it is far simpler for me to have the delay settings saved as presets on the DD-20. As I then determine if one tone works best for a particular song, or I prefer one over another - I can use the DD-20 and not have to save the delay settings all over the ER in the various patches. It also frees up the delay module in the ER to be set in other ways - and allows me, if I desire, to use multiple delays concurrently.

As for the Trem - I use the Flanger and Trem as my two primary modulations. Initially I was trying to use just the ER stand alone. I started with my clean amp patches and added the VIBRATO to the amp model. This got me very close to the setting I use on my TR-2 -- but was then limited to only what those patches could produce tone-wise so I decided since I was already using the DD-20... and eventually needed a tuner pedal as well... I added the TR-2.

So, not a true "effects processor" -- but a hybrid rig none the less.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:25 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

My external FX processor = Laptop

More specifically, Ableton Live itself. I currently use it last in my chain, signals are sent out to the board from my Fireface 800.

It's pretty much multiple complex FX chains which include multi-band processing, more complex delays, VST/AU plugs, and Loopers on top of Loopers. Also, since Live is the DAW that it is recorded, looped, reversed, and more or less processed on the fly as well.

It really becomes an "everything but the kitchen sink" rig. Actually the only thing I don't have is a whammy pedal/octave/harmonizer, so I guess that would be the "kitchen sink". (actually I do have it with Guitar Rig, but then I would have to plug into the Fireface instead of the True-Z. Or maybe I could route the FX loop to Live, and back into the 11R. as you can tell I have yet to realize the full potential of this rig.)
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 11-23-2011, 10:24 AM

Thanks, David.

madgt621: I'm unfamiliar with Live. Do you interact with it via your computer, or do you have actions programmed into a MIDI floorboard?

Everyone else: Any other supplemental processors in use...?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 PM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Both. 90% of Live's interface and actions are programmable with MIDI mapping, as well as Key mapping, in which case you would use your computer keyboard. This includes everything from "transport" commands, control of individual "scenes", and of course FX and plugin parameters.

And because of Live's "Rack" features, incredibly complex FX routing can be set up. Multiple FX can be compiled into one "Rack", for instance multiple delays and a chorus to emulate a bucket brigade style delay. And course multiple Racks can be placed in a track, and even compiled into another "Rack", while retaining individual control of all parameters.

You can also use multiple tracks to process one signal, or say one track processing the 11R wet, and another processing the dry signal, giving you a multi amp rig, though in some instances latency may become a factor. Because guitar amp sims are cpu hogs, I actually don't use it in this fashion.

It gets pretty deep and takes a little bit to get the hang of, but it's pretty much whatever you can come up with, you can do.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack