How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 AM

Default Eligibility to price of the PT11 upgrade in Avid store

Hello.

I have Mbox3 which came bundled with PT9 and I've got the free upgrade to PT10. Lately I'm thinking about upgrading to PT11 as I mainly work with virtual instruments and would like to take the advantage of the 64-bit system. My question: is the upgrade option from PT10, priced 299$ I see in the Avid store available to users who got the free PT10 upgrade or only to those who specifically purchased PT10?

Thank you.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Eligibility to price of the PT11 upgrade in Avid store

WHEN did you purchase this Mbox that came with PT9 and WHERE? If you bought it after PT11 release, you should be eligible for free PT11 upgrade (unless I have misunderstood something very badly...)
Old 06-09-2014, 04:24 AM

I have purchased Mbox 3 with Pro Tools 9 bundle at my local music store on February 19-th last year. I have registered both the hardware and the software on February 21-st; the same day I've recieved an e-mail with the Pro Tools 10 no-cost upgrade offer. Currently I have the latest version of Pro Tools 10 installed and sometimes when starting, an update window comes out, but the only update shown is listed as "paid" (update to PT11, I guess). So I'm wondering can I use the "upgrade from PT10" option found in Avid store as I didn't purchased PT10 - I was given it as the free upgrade from PT9.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:03 AM

Okay, so you bought and registered it before PT11 was out, which means you don't get that for free. On the other hand, if you already have that PT10 on your Avid account (and have the license on your iLok key), it's just as good as purchased version.

So yes, if the two are like I said, you should be able to purchase the PT10-->PT11 upgrade. Just bear in mind that you must have the new black iLok2 for PT11 license.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 AM

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I have the iLok2 key, it was part of my Mbox 3 with Pro Tools 9 bundle. AFAIK, on it I have both my PT9 and PT10 licences. So, when I decide to upgrade to PT11, I should simply purchase an upgrade version from Avid Store. If I understood correctly, I will then be able to use both PT10 and PT11 on the same system.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terhardp View Post
I have purchased Mbox 3 with Pro Tools 9 bundle at my local music store on February 19-th last year. I have registered both the hardware and the software on February 21-st; the same day I've recieved an e-mail with the Pro Tools 10 no-cost upgrade offer. Currently I have the latest version of Pro Tools 10 installed and sometimes when starting, an update window comes out, but the only update shown is listed as "paid" (update to PT11, I guess). So I'm wondering can I use the "upgrade from PT10" option found in Avid store as I didn't purchased PT10 - I was given it as the free upgrade from PT9.
You only get a free upgrade to Pro Tools if you purchased AFTER April 7, 2013.
Since you purchased BEFORE that date you don;t get PT 11 free but you can buy a Pt 10 to 11 upgrade on eBAy for less than $190.00
Old 06-10-2014, 04:14 AM

Hi, I've just checked out eBay as roberts suggested, and indeed, there is an offer for PT10 to PT11 upgrade priced abt 186$. It sounds very tempting comparing to the price of the upgrade in the official Avid store, however I'm a bit reluctant about this as I've never purchased software from the sources other than the official software stores before. Therefore, if somebody has purchased this update, I would very much like to hear your experiences.

A few questions. On the eBay site it says this upgrade is meant for non-HD version of Pro Tools (which is what I need) and that you must have an iLok2 and iLok account with valid PT10 licence (which I have). I assume this upgrade is download version only. After purchasing, how long one has to wait to get the download links and what it means "instant transfer to your iLok account"; I hope not giving my iLok account info to this seller, but transfering the new licence myself, as before with the official Avid update.

Thank you for your responses in advance.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:22 AM

The upgrade is just a code you put in a website, which triggers the license update. But sure, it's always safer to buy closer to the source :)
Old 06-10-2014, 04:34 AM

Retail Store...
Guitar Center, Sweetwater....
Better price than Avid on-line
Maybe safer than eBay
Old 06-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Retail Store...
Guitar Center, Sweetwater....
Better price than Avid on-line
Maybe safer than eBay
Safer if you don;t get what you pay for you file a claim with Paypal.
If ebay sellers don;t deliver what they advertise they loose their ebay accounts
I highly doubt someone is is going to go to all that trouble for a couple of hundred dollars. If ebay was that bad they would go out of business
FWIW I bought a defective power bar from Guitar Center it a month to get a replacement. I ordered ( and paid for ) a Slate MTX last friday and from GC Pro and it's still not shipped!
Sorry but your example does not hold water