Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2004, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Advantages of HD?

It's the cook not the kitchen. You heard it here first.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 05-14-2004, 10:38 PM

Generally people hire "Me" for my ears, and abillities, and as I work my way up the ladder, adding more gear, upgrading, buying pre's, mics, etc.... my price increses slightly, as does the profile of my projects, quality of my work, experience, and equipment I work on. It has little to do with other's rates in the area, I am not in competition with anyone in a closet with an 001.

This is the natural succession of an evolving producer / engineer / studio owner / musician etc.... and I've been at it 20 years, always upgrading, and putting most of what I make, into gear.

We went from a mix24 to an HD3 Accel system at the studio recently, the internal mix bus sounds better, the 192 i/o sounds WAY better, it is better equipment, and gives you an advantage sonicaly, only to "Yourself" then if "you" were still working on a mix24.

So, with this said, I think with more depth, and clarity at your disposal, you will, (or already have) grown as an engineer, and make slightly different sonic choices on an HD system then you may have on a mix24.

It's the investment in your evolution as a studio, and an engineer.

Tell your client that !

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-15-2004, 11:48 AM

Little Joey Gates (Bill Gates' imaginary son) will be able to start his studio right out with the Pro Tools Super HD plus plus Accel X google system with 64 bit rez and sampling rates of 384k with the new Icon super duper desk/controller and Mac G8 dual terraherz systems but if he has tin ears and no musical aptitude people would still prefer the grizzled old vet down the block with a pro tools mix+ system and 30 years experience of making records. And they would pay him more too. Especially if CDs are still 44.1k/16 bit.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:07 PM

Quote:
but if he has tin ears and no musical aptitude people would still prefer the grizzled old vet down the block with a pro tools mix+ system and 30 years experience of making records. And they would pay him more too. Especially if CDs are still 44.1k/16 bit.
Amen - well put.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-15-2004, 02:53 PM

Ok, the end result would be far superior by the experienced "grizzled old vet", but we may never hear it because the shinny new kid on the block with all the buzzwords and gimics actually got the business. It is more about people's perceptions rather than reality, hype often works.

So what is the hype on HD over Mix?

So far we have:
"the internal mix bus sounds better, the 192 i/o sounds WAY better"; "more powerful DSP than mix"; "features like ADC" and a "better sounding mix bus".

Anything else?
Old 05-16-2004, 08:34 AM

Quote:

It's new. If you were going on a date with a nice woman, would you wear new underwear or old underwear. Thought so! The usually look better and smell better.

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 05-16-2004, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Ok, the end result would be far superior by the experienced "grizzled old vet", but we may never hear it because the shinny new kid on the block with all the buzzwords and gimics actually got the business. It is more about people's perceptions rather than reality, hype often works.

So far we have:
"the internal mix bus sounds better, the 192 i/o sounds WAY better"; "more powerful DSP than mix"; "features like ADC" and a "better sounding mix bus".

Anything else?
You think the client even knows about "the internal bus sounds better... yadda yaddda" or do they care about the credit list and gold and platinum and grammy awards on the old vets wall? I thought so. I was in a studio recently owned by a well known mix engineer and guess what system they were using? A mix 24 system. I'd trust this guy before I trust some kid with rich parents and an HD accel X infinity system.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:47 AM

People keep saying it is experience over gear, I believe that point was conceded a long time ago and is not in debate. One thing I will say about a fresh face versus and vet is that people with much experience tend to get set in their ways, while a bright fresh new person will generally be enthiused and ready to experiment. After all this is also a creative process and good discoveries often result from mistakes, not always experience. Oops, I am again taking it in people/experience direction, which is off track.

For this thread, let's assume the people aspect is equal, the studio is similar, the monitors are the same, blah, blah, blah, except one has Mix and one has HD, back to the question of what are the technical advantages of HD over Mix for project mixdowns (in addition to the ones mentioned in the earlier thread).
Old 05-16-2004, 12:28 PM

More track count, more power for plug-ins, higher sampling rates, better sounding plug-ins (like Revibe), better sounding interface, stronger DAW. I think that about covers it. I can't think of anything more. I use a Mix at home and HD at work. I haven't been doing this as long as most of the people on this board, but thats what I can tell. To me there's not much more, at least not that I can think of.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:25 PM

Yeh I think that is about it. As a Mix5 owner than upgraded to HD3 on the last deadline (June 2003, never to be offered again, as we where told. Now the offer is there again only it is up to HD Accell) I was hoping I was missing something. Thanks everyone!