Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 07-15-2013, 03:57 PM

Default need help with "replace clip" function

i need a hand with this. i'm cutting a tv series at the moment and all i want is to replace all the edited clips of a certain recording in my timeline with an eq'd version of the same clip. specifically a sound in my ambiance tracks.

i want the sames parts of the original clip to be replaced with the same parts of the replacement clip. this is essential.

no matter what combination i choose from the "replace clip dialog options" box, it will not do this for me. it only effects the highlighted clip and never replaces all the clips in the session, and never chooses the same edit points as my original clip.

can i have a chat with someone here, preferably on the phone, to work this out. my ambs editor is delivering his tracks and i'd like to have him switch out sounds without having to individually fix all the sounds i need replaced.

and if you can't help me and know someone that could, please let me know as well.
cheers,
P.

Supervising Sound Editor / Concepteur Sonore / Custom Sound Effects Recording
Old 07-17-2013, 09:16 AM

Default Re: need help with "replace clip" function

1. select any of the clips that are to be replaced
  2. right-click the replacement clip in the clips list
  3. choose Replace Clip...
  4. choose Replace all instances of the original clip
The rest of the options are up to you, but I use Fit clip using the original clip length, and on This track.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:40 AM

im a protools newbie too.. but what u could try - is make sure that the eq'd clip is the same length etc ... ( should be easy right? )

then remove the orignal audio file from the audio folder... replace it with the 'new one' if it has the same name and location - then shouldnt protools when loading the session just use your new file ( as long as name length etc etc are the same.. )

( this works in DP )
Old 07-17-2013, 10:44 AM

i havent found an external editor option in protools... any other workaround?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 AM

hi stig,

what you described is what i was doing. i have no answers.

again, when going through your description, all that gets replaced is the one clip that i highlighted, even though i have many other clips on the same track. and the clip that was replaced was not from the same point in the replacement clip as was the original clip. it just chose the replacement clip from the beginning of it.

it seems that protools is not doing what they claim it can do. would you agree or am i still missing something? why would your clips on the track be all replaced with the proper edit point and mine not?

and fork-media, thanks for your option. i know it well. and that will still have to be the way i will have to do things.

it's just frustrating that this protools function is useless for us in post when it's designed for us to use.

cheers,
P.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 AM

That is weird. This feature works perfectly for me in PT 10.3.5 HD / OS 10.6.8 / Mac Pro, and in PT 10.3.6 HD & 11 HD / OS 10.8.4 on an iMac.

As described earlier, in step 1 (select any of the clips that are to be replaced)... you select it on the timeline, right? Are you sure all clips are the same?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:41 PM

yep, i do select it in the timeline. when you say are they the same, do they have to be the exact same edit (in and out points) of the clip? because in my case, i'm trying to replace a clip that has different edits of it. will that not work?
P.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
  1. right-click the replacement clip in the clips list
  2. choose Replace Clip...
Where is this option??? I dont see it where you are saying it is.

WLL SOMEONE PLEEEEEEASE HELP. I m so sick of never making music with pro tools because all I ever do is get stuck like this for fricking hours on end.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob white View Post
hi stig,

what you described is what i was doing. i have no answers.

again, when going through your description, all that gets replaced is the one clip that i highlighted, even though i have many other clips on the same track. and the clip that was replaced was not from the same point in the replacement clip as was the original clip. it just chose the replacement clip from the beginning of it.

it seems that protools is not doing what they claim it can do. would you agree or am i still missing something? why would your clips on the track be all replaced with the proper edit point and mine not?

and fork-media, thanks for your option. i know it well. and that will still have to be the way i will have to do things.

it's just frustrating that this protools function is useless for us in post when it's designed for us to use.

cheers,
P.
Hi Bob, did you or anyone else find a solution? I'm having the same problem now. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:26 PM

From the Reference Manual:

"Clip Name Right-Click Menu (Edit Window Only)
Right-clicking a clip name in the Clips List provides commands to clear, rename, time stamp, or replace clips (Pro Tools HD software only). The pop-up menu also lets you export clip definitions or selected clips as files, recalculate waveform overviews, select the parent file of selected clips in a Workspace Browser, or select a clip as an object
in the Edit window."

So, Replace Clips is Ultimate ONLY.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction