Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 11-01-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Hear Note While Changing Velocity

When you move a midi note in PT, the program plays the note with each new pitch. I need to hear the note each time you adjust the velocity as well. Can PT 6.9 do that?!? It's very important to actively listen when you are adjusting.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Hear Note While Changing Velocity

Quote:
I need to hear the note each time you adjust the velocity
relaxo

It's going to be interesting to see what MIDI does for us in PT 7.0, personally, I'm looking forward to it.

You raise an interesting issue, although this can be easily worked around, as I'm sure you have figured out. But there is something that puzzles me and that is that Velocity = Attack not Sustain. But I hear what your saying thou, you should be able to adjust the notes Attack each Velocity selection.

Maybe Seven has this?

With Respect.

filosofem
Old 11-02-2005, 06:24 AM

Since velocity adjustment is continuously variable, I don't see how this would be possible or desireable. You want it to sound the note for each one of the 0-128 steps of velocity that you are sweeping through by adjusting?

Set the velocity to where you think it should be and then click the note to check if it is right. Repeat as necessary.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-02-2005, 06:03 PM

spkguitar

My point exactly, it sounds better coming from you than from a newbie.

But he does raise a interesting point thou. Why can't you hear the Attack holding the Velocity stalk each adjustment. Having had said that, I can see some down sides to this as well.

filosofem
Old 11-03-2005, 08:48 AM

I do a lot of live drum sample triggering, and yes, I do want to hear every time I move it to a new velocity (128 steps) just like I want to hear each note as I move it higher and lower in pitch. What's the difference, new note pich or new note volume? I want to hear what it sounds like without having to swing down and click on the note after each volume change, which is tedious if you program all day.

Why? Especially with percussion samples, there is a totally different sample being triggered with each volume step, sometimes even 128 different velocity sample audio files per note, each with a different attack sound. Imagine going down and clicking on the note just to audition each sample assigned to each velocity? BFD drums has 128 velocity samples per note!

Logic has this live velocity auditioning and yes, it does sound like a machine gun if I move a note fast. Like I said, why does PT have it for pitch changes and not volume changes? To me, they go side by side.

Is there another work around besides hitting the space bar to begin the song just before that note after every time you adjust the note volume?

Thanks, Scott
Old 11-16-2005, 10:27 AM

Is there any reason you can't just loop it and adjust accordingly?