Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 07:12 AM

Default Re: How to deal with \"room\" sound?

Here is another pickup considered to be very good http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/NTS.htm and here a great source made for comparison http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm so that you can listen yourself.

However room is THE thing at all.
In fact I am a bit turned off about my case, which is that I finally had to realize last week that neighbours and outside noise just wonīt let me track in a somewhat predictable way in my room.
Had been trying to arrange a solution, knocked on neighbours doors a couple of times and all, but still a lottery whether interference yes or no / now or in 5 minutes etc. Unfortunately, no way to work with.

A pity, cause the room itself is a terrific one. And nothing like a good sounding room.

Well, I for my part have been forced to return into the booth ( which I deadened just yesterday with fiber and cloth cover ). But if you can crank mics in your room without too much outside interference stay with miking.

Treat your room instead. It often isnīt really too hard to do. Find the best spot(s) for the sound source and check out first with provisional material like blankets where the room points are which need muting.

Then make the traps yourself. Donīt go out to buy overpriced foam crap which canīt do the job too much anyway.

I treated about 10 square meters yesterday, cost of material 170 Euros. Talk of very efficient absorbtion.

You need 1 inch diameter fiber glass, thin die plate, and some rough cloth like sackcloth. And when in the cloth shop take some of those cardboard tubes with you too, they donīt mind to get rid of them. Wrapped in fiber and covered with cloth you get some nice ... whatīs its name?

Anyway, what Iīm saying is this. Deadening reflections through commercial products is pretty expensive, but it can be done nicely ( if you work accurately, which isnīt hard to do with this kind of object ) by yourself without getting bankrupt.

10 square meters like I had it yesterday should be more than average rooms would be needing, so average expenses should stay under 200 bucks.

And that is actually no money for the goal to make recordings with space. Space is beauty.

Lalaman

PS: I got what I know about absorbtion from Etahn Winer http://www.realtraps.com. You can either buy his well made traps or encrease your knowledge by reading about whys and how-to-do on his website. He is so nice to share his wisdom with us. When you are at it, BTW, you will also find that traps shouldnīt be sticked directly to the wall.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:26 AM

Sorry I didn't give a better description...

I'm recording with the earthworks, one mic (it would be nice to have a stereo pair, but I don't have it), about six inches away from the 12th fret, mostly picking, a little strumming. I've decided to record in the next room over to mine cause the mic was picking up the suttle noise from my computer. I agree with you guys, their's nothing like recording in a great room. It's hard for me to describe this noise, could it be, possibly, that the pre amp on the 001 isn't so clean? I have the gain turned a little past the half way point. I'm going to try to set the room up with some acoustic stuff and see if that helps. Thanks for all the input.

~Henry
Old 06-05-2004, 11:36 AM

With a cardiod mic 6" away you shouldn't be hearing ANY room unless the player is playing with a feather.