Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2022, 12:16 PM

Default Avid Link and invalid info about updates.

Hi!
I own PT 2020.
Avid Link informed me that I have updates for my Pro Tools. I have installed it.
And then I cannot use it, because I need to buy a licence!

Question: WHY Avid Link inform me about updates that I cannot use and don't have a licence??!! This is completely stupid! Now I have to reinstall it all again!
Old 01-12-2022, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Avid Link and invalid info about updates.

There is lots and lots of advice on DUC over many years to just uninstall the Avid Link bloatware because it's awful.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Link and Collaboration Tools Uninstallers are on your system, this time use them.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:04 PM

Thank you!
Uninstallers -- the best avid software.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There is lots and lots of advice on DUC over many years to just uninstall the Avid Link bloatware because it's awful.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Link and Collaboration Tools Uninstallers are on your system, this time use them.
I think it's not right to put the blame on the OP for using the software that Avid installs and recommends, if that's what you are doing. He/she is obviously not on here regularly to get info like that. Now he knows, but is absolutely not to blame. I think it's outrageous that Avid allows this to happen!
Old 01-13-2022, 02:34 AM

Software must not be deluding.
I have spent 1,5 hours to sort it out (because even reinstallation of valid 2020.5 version did not went smoothly -- I had to delete PT app manually to help the installer. Otherwise I could not see the licence).

So, can Avid give me my 1.5 hours of life back?.. No. And I don't appreciate it took. And actually it was the last drop to fulfill ocean.

I know there are fans of PT and they love it, no questions. But I don't and here is why:
  • You cannot get updates if your subscription for updates and support is ended. Even if PT version is not changed. Event there is a critical bug. No. You just cannot.
  • There is no upgrade plan if you don't have subscription. If you want to update 2020.5.0 to, say 2020.9 -- just thru away your licence and buy new one for 1 fackilion dollars.
  • If you are orchestra composer, then you better have an ophthalmologist, 'Cos it takes minutes to find a track among 500 tracks -- users where bagging to increase fonts or make better UX for that -- no, it is Avid, it knows better.
  • Again, If you are orchestra composer, and you need to name few of your tracks 'Legato' under different folder -- BOOM, it is not allowed. Get full descriptive ugly track names.
  • Need to change smth in session, like bitrate? BOOM -- restart PT!
  • Avid was so proud that they "invented" folders... All other DAWs had it for years. And Avid implemented it in the most ugly anti-UX way.

And many many other things.

And don't take me wrong if you comfortable with PT and you love it. I just want to say that the most important -- is the people. A software is build for the people. And there are number of studies and researches how to implement a good UX. And Avid is far far away from this. Plus sales politics...

PT was an industry standard. Not any more due the reasons I just listed. Only those who started using PT years and years ago and got used to it will continue to use it for awhile. I am pretty sure Avid sees new customers less and less. And as soon as Avid realises it, only then UX and sales policy will become better. There are very strong competitors, like Nuendo which is way better (imho).

For my needs as a movie composer with an orchestra, I prefere Cubase. If it is without a movie -- S1.
Actually, S1 is great example of good UX, and beautiful UI, and simple learning curve.

Sorry for my long and loud cry of the soul.

Dmitry.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:23 AM

There are still Reinstatement Plans available for Perpetual License holders who have let their Support and Upgrade Plan lapse.
$249 USD for Standard and $499 USD for Ultimate from dealers only in limited supply.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I think it's not right to put the blame on the OP for using the software that Avid installs and recommends, if that's what you are doing. He/she is obviously not on here regularly to get info like that. Now he knows, but is absolutely not to blame. I think it's outrageous that Avid allows this to happen!
The OP has all the help he needs now, knows this software is crap and he should uninstall it in future. The pointing to stuff on DUC is not to blame him, it’s to let him know he can find more on this here if he wants to look.

Of course it’s outrageous, this bloatware has been broken for ages. And the slow effort to improve it far from enough. And the whole fantasy that this combo DAW and embedded social network kitchen sink is what people want and Avid could be successful delivering it, and if it could and a social network could work… then FFS get something started via the web, and other social media tie-ins, nope instead just brain dead product strategy.

I’ve been speaking out here about here about serious problems with this software literally from the day of release, (a back-end privacy leakage issue that Avid did fix fast), it’s bad bloated software that introduces lots of complexity and dependencies (and the introduced security attack surface worries me given how sloppily stuff seems to be done and tested here). I would never leave this stuff installed on a computer. What is really frustrating is instead of focusing on more core improvements in Pro Tools Avid has wasted so much effort and distraction on Pro Tools First, Link, and Cloud Collaboration. Badly thought out, badly delivered messes, that actually manage to harm users. The forensic product management here would be interesting, how much is Avid management to blame, or how much did GlobalLogic (Avid’s outsourced development supplier) pitch these projects/ideas to Avid? Did GlobalLogic screw up repeatedly or were they mismanaged by Avid? Or both?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-13-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubenskiy View Post
  • If you are orchestra composer, then you better have an ophthalmologist, 'Cos it takes minutes to find a track among 500 tracks -- users where bagging to increase fonts or make better UX for that -- no, it is Avid, it knows better.
Folder tracks my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=012zn3MJyxQ

Wave-T.com