Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2014, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

Alright stand alone editor almost in our hands. But as is often the case solving one problem only creates another, which is what the hell do we complain about wanting now?

To stir the pot, how about...

(I hope the stand alone editor works with multiple Eleven Racks, if not make that #1).

Update to Eleven Plugins to include all the Eleven Rack expansion pack amp models.

A dedicated foot controller, or maybe even better workign with third parties to provide better integration with a nice foot controller, easy editing etc.

Ability to run two separate amp models, split them L/R (there was some speculation in the past there may be enough DSP processing power to do this).

Ability to insert the FX Loop between a preamp and power amp block? Or at least between the Amp and Cab (one reason for that is it gives another option to get a line output without cab resonance and speaker break up applied to it for driving FOH, assuming of course you are not using the FX Loop for other thigns, and for some delay and reverb effects may well sound better applied before the cab).

Ability to independent configure cab resonance and speaker breakup for Main Output vs. Amp1/Amp2 outputs (lots of folks who play live and need to feed FOH and monitors have wanted this). Similar to above.

Tempo setting that will click to the output, for practicing when using the Eleven Rack stand alone. And because the Eleven Rack needs another thing for users to set the volume of

More Amp models. Dumble Overdrive Special anybody?

Custom cab impulse responses.

More cab mic positioning options. Ability to blend mics.

More effects. Some fancier delay and reverb options?

"Settings options" on rigs, e.g. to be able to save multiple different EQ settings for different amps/monitors/locations into the same rig setting.

And finally a stand alone editor on the iPad.

(anybody heard where Chris Townsend is?)

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-14-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Vaught View Post
Hi Kyle,

I haven't received the email but I am an Avid account holder and ER owner. Am I still eligible for the free editor??

Also what firmware version will be required??

Thanks for info.
Hey Kevin,

You should receive an email when we officially announce next week. And, yes you are definitely eligible for Eleven Rack Editor. In fact, anyone using an Eleven Rack can download and use it for free.

We are supporting v2.0 or later firmware. If you haven't upgraded yet, you can do so here.

Thanks.
Berkeley, CA
Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 PM

How about fx processed at insane sample rates above 96khz?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelco83 View Post
How about fx processed at insane sample rates above 96khz?
Like 192 kHz so everybody could never use that on the Eleven Rack just like they do elsewhere?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:10 PM

Could be cool for live stuff
Old 01-14-2014, 09:22 PM

Custom IRs, lowering the patch switching delay, separating the Amp and Cab blocks, Expression pedal auto-engage.... *those* would be cool for live stuff.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:25 PM

Default Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

I don't disagree, shoot for the stars after all. Pushing for better processing would probably involve faster functioning of the unit all around. I see the 11r like the first voodoo graphics cards. If this is the beginning of hardware accelerated fx I can't wait to see what the future holds.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree, shoot for the stars after all. Pushing for better processing would probably involve faster functioning of the unit all around. I see the 11r like the first voodoo graphics cards. If this is the beginning if hardware accelerated fx I can't wait to see what the future holds.
The Eleven Rack internally 8X oversamples at least for amp models, so it's running at 384kHz (48kHz nominal) or 352.8kHz (44.1kHz nominal). You could never get the distortions involved in say a high-gain amp without some oversampling. These are numbers Chris Townsend mentioned in the past. I don't think he mentioned what if any oversampling is used on effects.

And Fractal Audio is certainly proud of the internal oversampling of their lovely Axe FX II (which also nominally runs at 48kHz but oversamples at 16X). I'm also not clear how much/for what Fractal over samples for effects.

You would want to pick each specific effect or amp sim that specifically needs a higher sample rate. I am not unhappy with any of the effect or amp sims in the Eleven Rack at all, not for what they are supposed to be. And any effect changes I'd like to see are adding features or changing what is modeled, e.g. I'd like a stand-alone deep tremelo capable of really helicopter thumping type effects or some Eventide Space like reverbs. I'd leave it to Avid to worry about details like oversampling needed for any effect.

"faster functioning of the unit"... I don't know what you mean/want there. More oversampling reduced the capacity available to model more things in the DSP, not the reverse. And things like the Eleven Rack front panel UI are not running on the DSP... the Eleven Rack main CPU running the UI etc. is a 32 bit ARM processor.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 PM

Default Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

Oh totally, you never know what you're missing until you hear/see the difference😀. Same thing in the graphics industry.

I was just saying that generally when one item is upgraded the other components tend to follow suit.

I don't know the interworkings but it's not a stretch to imagine a few different reasons for a delay in the GUI not necessarily caused by the control part of the system.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Oh totally, you never know what you're missing until you hear/see the difference😀. Same thing in the graphics industry.

I was just saying that generally when one item is upgraded the other components tend to follow suit.
What upgraded? I suspect very few folks want hardware changes to the Eleven Rack. There are relatively large number of feature/software improvements lots of users woudl like. Arbitrarily just increasing oversampling would reduce the ability to deliver some of those (even in a new more powerful box). Unless there is a specific issue with something not being modeled well because of the current sampling (if so what? maybe there is, I just can't think of it) then you might as well just say the box should be painted green as saying it should have more oversampling/a higher sample rate. And hardware changes that _might_ interest me are things like variable analog gain on the input, a better headphone amp circuit, and certainly more powerful DSP/multiple DSP *if* that was needed for things like modelling dual amps, split pre/power amp/cab, custom IR, etc. and those software features are provided.

But until I see Chris Townsend involved in this I'd be skeptical of Avid doing any deep changes the the Eleven Rack (including many of the things on my starter list earlier).