Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-06-2015, 04:30 PM

Default Seriously guys, figure out the Video Engine problem.

You need to get to the bottom of this video engine issue and let everyone who is experiencing these problems know how to fix it. It's outrageous that so many users can't get past this. You've had plenty of time to dig through your code and sort it out and many of us (your customers, who have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on your gear and countless hours evangelizing your system) are losing work and time trying to fix a bug that we didn't create. I don't want to hear about how once having used Media Composer installed is a problem. I also don't want to know that I can't use a common video format or a Blackmagic card or QuickTime 10. I just want to know that you've found the problem, repaired the code, and distributed a fix. I want it yesterday. Get on it...now.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Seriously guys, figure out the Video Engine problem.

Same here. Been waiting for a whole year, the video function is still barely usable. The only advantage for me to use PT 11 is when mixing with only audio in 64 bit environment.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:13 AM

I'm in a post environment and need to use video on every session. There is a video engine problem Every. Single. Day. Avid need to re-focus some of their resources away from PT 12 and PT Free, etc. and get this sorted out. It is unusable like this and a real embarrassment. What is the excuse now?
Old 02-11-2015, 02:05 PM

+1!

Let's start a poll

-----> How many of you are doing serious post work using PT11HD with rock solid video performance?
(i.e. no lag when hitting play, no stuttering, ...)
Old 02-11-2015, 02:11 PM

yesterday's update fixed my video issues.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:41 PM

I totally agree with the OP. Video Engine bugs have been a serious pain. It seems to be better with the last release, but I often get the Trouble Stopping Pro Tools error. And if I go from a session with a DNxHD movie to a session with an mp4 (or vice versa) video is extremely choppy until I turn off the video engine and turn it back on. Moving back to Blackmagic Desktop Video 10.3.4 has also solved some things. The move to the Video Engine has not been smooth.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:07 PM

Its been a really drag. I work on a lot of spots, often double booked. Previously I could jump between sessions with ProRes, H264, DNXHD or DV all day but now it seems like you have to disable and reactivate video hardware, take things on and offline each time you open a session to 'settle' the video down.

I am testing 11.3.1 tonight so maybe thatll help. but its getting so very frustrating. I actually have a big gig coming up where previously the client wanted to run video satellite with the avid media, but now they want to kick us DNX 145 quicktimes to playback.... i am highly doubting at this point 11 will be up to the job unless theres a miracle.

MKD Creative
Old 02-11-2015, 06:59 PM

Sorry to hear these problems. Just adding a data point:

PT11+Mac Pro 6,1 w/ AJA T-Tap and DNxHD video... no problems.

Every bit as responsive and reliable as PT10+Mac Pro 3,1 w/ Blackmagic Intensity Pro.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 PM

11.3.1 is a huge step in the right direction for me. Another thing I do is always convert all video to pro res and I started putting video on an ssd, which helps play start times. I have to say I'm finally feeling good about avids video engine.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 02-12-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
PT11+Mac Pro 6,1 w/ AJA T-Tap and DNxHD video... no problems.
I've heard good things about the AJA cards, and can't go to the AJA-Tap because of thunderbolt. Anyone have success using the AJA LHe Plus? Found one pretty cheap on eBay. I fear Blackmagic is losing it.