Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-30-2003, 03:46 AM

Default sdII-pt/mac is not sdII-pt/window

recently i was bouncing 48kHz/24bit mixes for mastering in protools 5.1. and toasting the files on to cd. somehow protools5.1/mac generates sdII files that cannot be use by pc programs such as wavelab, pyramix and many other professional pc-programms, even not by protools5.1/windows!!!?! they all just didn't recognize the files as sdII, no matter what naming/ending, what toasting program, what cd we used! but all programms featured the sdII import and recognized other sdII-files!?!!

does anybody know what the problem may be?

digi: the fact that files look like sdII but obviously don't behave like sdII is very misleading

thanx for any help
Old 06-30-2003, 04:14 AM

Default Re: sdII-pt/mac is not sdII-pt/window

Hello. Sound Designer II (SDII) files are Mac only, and can only be read by Mac software. In order for any Windows program to read them they have to be converted to Wav or Aiff. This includes Pro Tools on Windows.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:49 PM

i don't understand, any of these first class software running on windows had explicit features to either read or at least convert sdII files: piramix, sonic solution, wavelab, pt windows, and others i don't remember
Old 06-30-2003, 05:20 PM

the reason SDII files cannot be read in windows has nothing to do with any software. The header information in the SDII files cannot be read by Windows.

For some reason I remember someone saying something about using NTFS in WinXP solves this problem...anyone know if this is true or not?

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 06-30-2003, 05:25 PM

If I understand you correctly, you're trying to transport 24 bit files from a mac to a pc via cd. If you're just dragging the files into Toast and burning, you're most likely making a Mac cd. Mac's can read PC discs very easily; PCs aren't as friendly. Use the ISO 9660 setting in Toast to make a PC readable cd.

As for SDII files, while some PC software may convert them, none will just play them. You'll save yourself a small bit of time and money if you just bounce them down as stereo .wav files to begin with. Then burn those onto a disc using the method stated above.

anthony
un-stereotypical
Old 07-01-2003, 01:50 AM

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1. i was burning in hybrid mode this shoudln't be the problem. also the pc had no problem 'seeing' the cd and 'seeing' the files. it just didn't recognize them as sdII

2. you are right on this point and i'll NEVER do it the way i was. it's just that i already had the material burned for back up purpose. then only we decided where to go for mastering and my question on the phone was 'can you handle sdII or do i need to burn a new cd?' the answer was 'no problem, we've done that a lot of times'

still don't understand
Old 07-01-2003, 08:01 AM

Then it sounds like pilot error on the part of the mastering house. If they can read the cd, then their software either can or cannot convert SDII files; there shouldn't be a gray area of not 'recognizing' they're SDII files. It's only header information that makes them different. Sounds like a cover-up for ignorance to me or they don't want to admit a problem or mistake. I would say just take the time to make .wav files to keep their PC happy and go with that.

Although, trying them somewhere else might be an interesting experiment.

anthony
Old 07-01-2003, 08:36 AM

I had this very same problem last night! I am now saving a copy of all my PT sessions and copying the audio as PC compat. AES31 wavs so they can be shoved into anything. Is this a good idea????

btw. its an old myth that PCs cant read mac discs - I thought this for years until I tried it. I had a mac at work and PC at home - record during the day, edit at night, go to mix the next day and the mac took time to see the files the PC had worked on from mac effortlessly! - it always took longer going from PC to Mac instead of the other way round :-/
Old 07-01-2003, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shoo:

btw. its an old myth that PCs cant read mac discs - I thought this for years until I tried it. I had a mac at work and PC at home - record during the day, edit at night, go to mix the next day and the mac took time to see the files the PC had worked on from mac effortlessly! - it always took longer going from PC to Mac instead of the other way round :-/
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I didn't say PCs 'couldn't' read mac discs; just that historically, they have not been set up by default to readily read Mac discs. Like all things, there are exceptions. Obviously, since your experience proves that.

Macs have from nearly day-one simply used Apple File Exchange or PC Exchange; both included with the OS to mount and/or format PC discs. It wasn't that easy to mount non-PC formats on PCs. That may have improved in recent years, but is it just a standard part of a PC configuartion like on a Mac? Or is it like most things PC and requires third party software or digging into the system settings?

anthony
Old 07-01-2003, 10:06 AM

I can read SDII files on my PC.
Just use soundforge to convert the files.
You have to open them as "raw file", type in the sampling rate, bitrate, and something about "little endian" or "big endian", but I don't know what the heck that means, but it works! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]