Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-22-2020, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Avid: new HW?? HDX 8 years old!!!

MIDI has never gone through DigiLink
Old 03-23-2020, 01:51 PM

Default Avid: new HW?? HDX 8 years old!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
MIDI has never gone through DigiLink
Maybe it should !!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 03-23-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:01 PM

There may still be plenty of potential in HDX cards. Perhaps multiple modes. One that runs as it currently stands for low latency tracking, a hybrid mode where 256 voices can exist on DSP next to 512 voices running on native, and a mix mode where 768 voices run natively and HDX is used similar to UAD to power plugins.

Whether it is technically possible, I have no idea.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:02 PM

How about let Avid deliver the promised (?) voice upgrade for HDX first before making visions of a new design
Old 03-23-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Whether it is technically possible, I have no idea.
If you have HDX, the mixer is on the cards and whatever voices are available to you depends on how many cards you have.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
If you have HDX, the mixer is on the cards and whatever voices are available to you depends on how many cards you have.

Most of us are aware of how HDX currently works, and the limiting nature of it's current implementation. Voices reflect nothing more than the pathways between the DSP and CPU. A hybrid system is possible. If UAD can do with far more limited DSP and far few voices, it is certainly possible on a platform like HDX.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Most of us are aware of how HDX currently works, and the limiting nature of it's current implementation. Voices reflect nothing more than the pathways between the DSP and CPU. A hybrid system is possible. If UAD can do with far more limited DSP and far few voices, it is certainly possible on a platform like HDX.
If the intent is to get more voiceable tracks, then how is traveling between DSP and native helping? As you know, a voice is an i/o point of the mixer so if you go DSP/native/DSP/native/DSP you are wasting voices not gaining them.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:38 PM

It would be nice to see a combination of native and dsp mixer. I have plenty of routing paths with native plugins only. There is no need for the mixer here to be dsp going from aux to aux, just let that part be native, it saves me a lot of latency. Just let it automatically switch to the lowest latency instead of always going dsp.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
If the intent is to get more voiceable tracks, then how is traveling between DSP and native helping? As you know, a voice is an i/o point of the mixer so if you go DSP/native/DSP/native/DSP you are wasting voices not gaining them.

That is simply a reflection of how HDX currently works. It was probably necessary a decade ago, but currently it is highly inefficient. A 2018 Mac mini can host huge sessions. There really is no need to send 400 channels of a 7.1 surround mix to DSP to be summed. You don't gain anything by doing it on DSP, rather than summing it entirely natively then passing just the 8 voices through to HDX and onto your audio interface. With a Hybrid mix engine, you would sum your playback channels natively and leave your DSP for low latency monitoring pathways. Sum all your playback cue sends natively, then pass them to DSP to be summed with the armed low latency inputs that you are tracking. The result is exactly the same latency as HDX, but without chewing through your voice counts.

It even offers a solution to the current virtual instrument latency issues in HDX.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
That is simply a reflection of how HDX currently works. It was probably necessary a decade ago, but currently it is highly inefficient. A 2018 Mac mini can host huge sessions. There really is no need to send 400 channels of a 7.1 surround mix to DSP to be summed. You don't gain anything by doing it on DSP, rather than summing it entirely natively then passing just the 8 voices through to HDX and onto your audio interface. With a Hybrid mix engine, you would sum your playback channels natively and leave your DSP for low latency monitoring pathways. Sum all your playback cue sends natively, then pass them to DSP to be summed with the armed low latency inputs that you are tracking. The result is exactly the same latency as HDX, but without chewing through your voice counts.

It even offers a solution to the current virtual instrument latency issues in HDX.
Surely a hybrid mix engine has to be on the cards (haha) for squeezing some more life out of HDX. I had heard some murmurings to that end.