Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2000, 06:23 PM

Default Remote monitor, keyboard & mouse.

I have a G4/500 DP. I’d like to have a monitor, keyboard & mouse set-up across the room next to my drums. Is this just a matter of adding a video card and getting a monitor with a built in USB hub for the keyboard and mouse? Any suggestions?

------------------
bassmac
Old 12-28-2000, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Remote monitor, keyboard & mouse.

how far is across the room?
Old 01-02-2001, 10:10 AM

Anyone?

------------------
bassmac
Old 01-02-2001, 11:47 AM

If you're using the standard 15pin VGA monitor output on your G4, you should be able to just get extension cables for video and USB. I've run VGA 100 feet without any problems. I've run USB about 30 feet, and I've heard successful attempts at 50 feet or so. (The USB spec says it can't be run futher than 16 feet without some sort of amplifier.)
If you have a bunch of extra money, check out www.gefen.com - they make extentions that can extend video, usb, ADB, etc. hundreds of feet over one CAT5 cable.
If you're using the new ADC connector for your video, you could just extend the USB stuff and get a pair of binoculars.
But seriously, I haven't seen anything that will extend ADC monitors, but again, check Gefen - they might.
-Dave
Old 01-03-2001, 12:19 AM

you can extend ADC cables up to around 20 feet (just remember the monitor already has a 6 foot cable attached to it to begin with.) ADC connectors are made by molex. just buy a couple of connectors and some cable. as for usb...you can get cables that have an "amplifier" built in to em. to the only problem with these is you lose the ability to power your mac up from the keyboard. the gefen stuff is awesome, but spensive!!
Old 01-03-2001, 09:08 AM

Thanks much for the info. I’m afraid I may not have been very clear - apologies.

Basically I just want to leave my existing “ADC” monitor/key/mouse on the desk where they are, and add a second mirror image set-up over by the drums for easy punching, editing, etc. without constantly getting up. (and tripping on the headphones)

My G4/DP has the factory AGP card with both ADC and VGA inputs. Since I only want a "mirror image" of my desktop rather than an extended desktop as with a dual monitor set-up, can I just plug a VGA monitor in to have this? If that’s the case, I can just get a cheap CRT with VGA & USB extension cables.

I did think about the binoculars with a long stick to hit the space bar approach. But my monitor faces away from the drums, and trying to edit waveforms is difficult with a stick.

Thanks again.

------------------
bassmac

[This message has been edited by bassmac (edited January 03, 2001).]
Old 01-03-2001, 02:59 PM

you can only use 1 monitor out. either adc or vga.
Old 01-03-2001, 09:11 PM

You could buy a distribution amp for your VGA signal. I see people do it all the time in cheaper church projection installations. They're splitting the video card output to get both a program monitor and a projector feed, but there's no reason you couldn't just drive two monitors with the same signal. Check out this link http://www.extron.com/product/product.asp?id=macda2plus

Hope this helps!
Old 01-05-2001, 12:04 AM

That looks very interesting - thanks for the info.

In the meantime, I got one of those numeric keypad extentions, the ones usually used with laptops. It’s USB and makes a great remote controller for starting, stopping (#0) & recording (#3).

Thanks all for the suggestions.

------------------
bassmac