Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2023, 02:37 PM

Default Re: New PT Prefs helper

Love this program. Been a secret weapon for years.
However.... as it is now its a 3 step process to NOT delete preferences.
I used to select everything BUT the PT preferences. IT feels backwards to save them, delete all the data and then restore the preferences.
Not sure why its this way now.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:00 AM

Hi,
Can you explain in more detail the issue you're having so I understand correctly? Are you saying you want to delete all preferences Bar one?

Cheers,
Pete
Old 02-21-2023, 07:13 AM

Hey Pete,

I’m in the same boat. I miss the ability to delete or restore specific files, like in version one. I am missing that feature. Possible to bring an “advanced mode” back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 02-21-2023, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
Hi,
Can you explain in more detail the issue you're having so I understand correctly? Are you saying you want to delete all preferences Bar one?

Cheers,
Pete
Yes, it looks like i MUST delete preferences to run the program.
The old interface had allowed you to choose what you were trashing.
The new way is confusing and takes more time.
THanks
Old 02-21-2023, 07:55 AM

Just to play the devils advocate - why would anyone ever want to restore an old version of a ProTools preferences file?

serious question.

as i have found, having run ProTools since 1995, that ProTools is happiest when it has fresh and new prefs files, and it is super fast to simply change a setting in preferences if need be.

just my 2c.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
PT is my main daw. I have some stuff I've done in DP from years back but haven't touched it in quite the while. Stopped at DP 9.52. I just get on with PT easier and quicker than DP. That's a great deal on getting into PT. I got into DP via a crossgrade from Sony Soundforge to DP8. I still have that manual around here somewheres.
This is what I did and I used DP for years, but found in 2000 that the wrapper with VI's was such a pain that I had to just move to ProTools when I saw a musician friend doing all of his post and music there on it. So I started using it for everything. I still have DP and am VERY good on it, but only see it as another step getting my work out there instead of just having it all inside PT. Now especially in my ATMOS room it is much more necessary with my workflow which seems to be ever changing along with the clients. DP seems to be much more solid from back in the day and also way easier to get tech help if you need it. It used to be really bad.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 02-21-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny_Cha_Cha View Post
Possible to bring an “advanced mode” back?
Yup,
I think that's what's needed. The simplified interface was for more casual users who were scared off by the seeming complexity of the old version and just wanted to clear everything. I'll look at a consistent and tidy way to reintroduce a page with the old options.

Pete
Old 02-21-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
Just to play the devils advocate - why would anyone ever want to restore an old version of a ProTools preferences file?

serious question.

as i have found, having run ProTools since 1995, that ProTools is happiest when it has fresh and new prefs files, and it is super fast to simply change a setting in preferences if need be.

just my 2c.
Its a matter of not wanting to have to go back and select all the preferences to the way a person likes them For some this is not a big deal, they are basically using the default preferences. For some users the preferred preferences are numerous and take a while to re set and to remember.
Additionally , the specific "pro tools user preferences" haVE NEVER BEEN THE REASON WHY THINGS WERE NOT WORKING CORRECTLY FOR ME. IT WAS ALWAYS EVERYTHING BUT THAT.
THIS UTILITY IS TRULY A LIFE SAVER AND IVE BEEN USING IT AND PROMOTING FOR MANY MANY YEARS.
(Sorry for the caps, that was an accident)
Old 02-21-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post

serious question.

just my 2c.

The reason for me is I don’t like losing my plug-in favorites and plugin user default presets every time I delete preferences.

I use the SoundFlow Preferences app to restore my actual settings in the Preferences window. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 03-01-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
Yup,
I think that's what's needed. The simplified interface was for more casual users who were scared off by the seeming complexity of the old version and just wanted to clear everything. I'll look at a consistent and tidy way to reintroduce a page with the old options.

Pete
Yes, that would be great. Also, it seems the only option we really need is to delete ALL except the PT user preferences. The user PT preferences have never messed anything up for me.
Not sure we need a special "advanced" section more than we need the ability to simply NOT delete the PT user preferences.
Its unclear to me what is being saved with the "save preferences" option in this new version. Im still afraid to use the new one because i would need to "save" stuff first, and then i feel like I dont want to reintroduce an old file. Unless its truly only the PT user preferences.
Ughhh. I miss the old version.
Thanks for the amazing work.