Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2009, 05:23 AM

Default Vista 32 / 002 asio driver?

I wasted about 4 hours tonight trying to get Vista 32 Ultimate to use my 002, so I figured I would ask here to see if someone can shed light on what I may have done wrong:

I was only interested in using my 002 with some other software (Reaper and some VSTi's) so at first I downloaded only the 7.4 standalone driver...

No luck. The 002 appears in device management, but with a question mark and saying the device driver was not installed..

So thinking that maybe installing PT8 would correctly install the asio driver that I seem to need, I first uninstalled the standalone driver (from Programs and Features) then Downloaded PT8 for windoze and installed that. PT8 seems to have installed correctly, but when, during launch, it gets to the point that it needs to find the 002, it can't. So presumably the driver is still not working correctly..

Anything obvious that I am doing wrong?

thx
Old 10-07-2009, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Vista 32 / 002 asio driver?

Well, I remember a long time where there was no ASIO driver for Vista. If that is still the case, you either need a different interface(non-Digidesign) or load in XP(either dual boot, or just replace Vista-maybe install XP on a fresh system drive and set the Vista drive aside for the future).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 AM

There's always been an ASIO driver for Vista... it's the Wave driver for general sounds that's MIA.

The ASIO driver must be setup in the preferences of each ASIO application you want to use it with. You say you've installed a standalone driver pack... you didn't have a version of PT already installed did you?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS40 View Post
There's always been an ASIO driver for Vista... it's the Wave driver for general sounds that's MIA.

The ASIO driver must be setup in the preferences of each ASIO application you want to use it with. You say you've installed a standalone driver pack... you didn't have a version of PT already installed did you?
No, I did not. I wanted to avoid the 3.2GB D/L as I had no intentions of running ProTools... I do that on OSX

The driver package installed with no problems, but then the first thing I tried was to use the 002 via asio in reaper. The reaper asio configuration for the 002 would not function... ie the input and output drop downs were blank and the "device settings" (or whatever it was called) button did nothing..

As I mentioned before, the 002 appeared in Device Manager but with a question mark and under properties it said the drivers were not installed. This was the same after the initial install of just the stand alone driver AND after uninstalling that and installing PT..

I am aware that the standalone should only be used if PT is not installed.. Again, that is what I tried first.

Vista is SP2 if that matters..
Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Thought i'd post my solution here in case in helps someone else down the line...

I asked this question in a support email and DTS told me that the MacPro running windows was an untested configuration, but they did give me a few things to try.. Basically, the advice was to go through the troubleshooting thread and optimizations for Vista. Not much beyond that. They were specific about disabling UAC and trying the install under a new admin user login..

Long story short, it didn't work. The 002 was still recognized/found by the OS, but with a message that the driver was not installed...

So, in frustration ready to give up, I figured I would try to install the driver from Device Manager, letting windoze try to find the driver... And you know what? Damned if it didn't work. I can't remember the last time that I had that actually find a driver for me. I maintain about 30 XP peecees and a couple servers at work and I gave up on "let windows find the driver for you" a long time ago.. Maybe that function works better in Vista, or maybe there is just a better catalog of drivers out there for it... Who knows?

Now I have a headache from trying to understand Reaper and installing a bunch of free VST instruments..

But at least, as Stewy says, "Victory is Mine!"
Old 10-09-2009, 11:09 AM

Dammit! Looks like I've misspelled Stewie's name for all eternity.. Ah hwell...