Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2009, 02:22 PM

Default Recording went to different drive

OK I created 2 songs in PT8LE. Moved the session over to my PT8HD2 machine to record the drum tracks. All went well recording wise . . . except when I went to look in the session folder on my audio drive the drum tracks were not there. Opened the the session back up and the tracks I recorded were still in the session. So they had to be somewhere on a hard drive. Well actually they were not on my audio drive at all. Some how they recorded on to the root of my Macintosh HD (system) drive??? I thought PT by default recorded everything to the audio folder in the session. FWIW I moved the files into the audio folder in the session and PT automatically found them. However in the future how can I change this so that everything defaults to the audio folder in the session.
TIA
Joe
Old 01-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Recording went to different drive

Dear Joe,
you should read the manual where this is concerned. As part of the setup of any session we always check the "disk allocation" which will let you know where PT will record the files. Moving sessions will often change disk allocations. Pro Tools sometimes require the user to be more vigilant where disk allocation is concerned but the system is very flexible. You can always look at the project browser window to check where all the files reside and use the "copy and relink function" to make sure the files are in the sessions audio files folder before you copy to a new drive.
Simon L.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleadley View Post
Dear Joe,
you should read the manual where this is concerned. As part of the setup of any session we always check the "disk allocation" which will let you know where PT will record the files. Moving sessions will often change disk allocations. Pro Tools sometimes require the user to be more vigilant where disk allocation is concerned but the system is very flexible. You can always look at the project browser window to check where all the files reside and use the "copy and relink function" to make sure the files are in the sessions audio files folder before you copy to a new drive.
Simon L.
I will make sure from now on to check this when I start every session. Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-10-2009, 08:43 AM

I too get burned by this ALL the time. It is such an annoyance for me. I wish there was an option in Pro Tools Preferences where it will always only record the audio into the sessions project Audio Folder. I would prefer that Pro Tools would stop running or refuse to record if there was a problem with recording into the sessions audio folder.

Even though I check Disk Allocation and all that stuff, there have still been a few times when I have forgot to check and I arrive at another studio to have the blasted "Audio Files not Found" dialogue. I later find out that Pro Tools recorded half the session on another one of my hard drives.

It has also been a pain for me with backing up. I'll think I have a project all backed up on a DVD or something and then later find Audio Files from that session on another hard drive meaning that I missed some of the audio in the backup.

I know we can be overly cautious with checking Disk Allocation and whatnot, but I would love to see a preference that forces Pro Tools to always record in Session Folders.

I will have to check out the "Copy and Relink function." I have not been aware of that.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio