Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-08-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Save Session Copy keeping removed files

I never really took a close look at which files were copied when using "Save Session Copy In". I always assumed that it only copied the files that were in the session's region list.

Yesterday I wanted to copy about 1/4 of a 7GB session into a new session to send to an editor. I deleted all but the portion that I wanted to send from the edit window. Then I selected all unused regions in the region list and removed all of the unused files from the session. The region list got significantly smaller, but when I saved the session copy, the new audio folder contained all of the original files that I intended to delete.

So today a ran a series of tests on a different session. Even after deleting all of the tracks and removing all audio files from the regions list, Save Session Copy In is still copying a number of audio files.

Anyone have any idea of why this happens? Has anyone else noticed this?

I have tested this on TDM and LE systems using version 6.4 software.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Save Session Copy keeping removed files

After all that, select remaining audio & do: "Compact selected".

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 07-09-2006, 11:31 AM

Hi Kurt. Thanks for the response, but unfortunately that doesn't address this problem.

The mystery is that the session is copying files that are no longer in the session. In fact, I deleted all tracks and all regions from the session, so there are no regions to even select to do the "compact selected". Everything is cleared from the session to the point that it looks like I just created a new session.

My previous understanding of "Save Session Copy In" is that no audio would be copied if there are no regions in the audio region list. Instead, it still copies numerous audio files to the new folder.

Thanks again for the response. Hopefully, this additional description will be helpful.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:06 PM

I see jonnyrocker
To make this clear, one must understand that audio files that has been “Removed” from the session are not deleted. They are still in the Audio Files folder(s) in one piece & can be imported back.
When you try to delete part of an audio file you have to rerender remaining part making a new file(s). Than you can physically, destructive, delete unwanted part(s) from the disk.
When you backspace, “delete” & remove Unwanted Regions, you are just instructing ProTools to show what you want to see but the original file(s) are still in one piece. This is nondestructive editing. What you wanted to achieve, is done by removing unwanted Regions & using Compact Selected command, delete all but wanted parts.
First than, if you check your audio files folder you will see it’s size changed.

Hope that make sense.

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 07-09-2006, 03:24 PM

You haven't got any tracks hidden have you? I've done that in the past and ended up with extra unexpected audio.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:33 PM

Thanks again, Kurt, but we are talking about different things.

I am keeping the original session intact and keeping all of the original audio files as recorded. The portion that was sent to an editor was a copied session. We will later have his edits re-imported into the original session. Because the editor is only doing about 1/4 of the program, I didn't want to send him all 7GBs of the full session. He will only be working on, let's say, 100 of the 400 total audio files, so I only want to copy those 100 files. I am not concerned with compacting individual audio files.

The Pro Tools reference manual says the following, which has always been my understanding, but does not seem to be the case from my tests the past few days:

"Save Session Copy In saves only the audio being used in the session. Any audio that was recorded or imported and then later removed from the session will not be included in the new session copy."

2fly: I did check for hidden playlists and there are none.

Thanks again, guys.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:22 PM

Here's an interesting development: I just tested a different session. Instead of deleting the tracks in the edit window first, I just deleted all regions from the regions bin. After all of the listed regions were emptied from the regions bin, many regions still remained in the edit window and play back as normal. So the region bin is empty, showing that there are no regions in the session, yet about 80% of the audio still remains in the tracks and operates as normal.

Strange.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:12 AM

Shift - command - i

then,

Shift - command U

Then hit Delete
Old 07-10-2006, 01:51 AM

This whole thing is probably due to something like choosing not to display auto-created regions.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:14 AM

Tweakhead wins the prize!

Thanks for everyone's input.