Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-26-2011, 05:46 AM

Default Shortcuts on German Keyboard...

Hello everybody,

I'm quite new in the community and also a beginner on ProTools.

I'm running PT9 as stand alone mixer:

Win7x64 - german
IntelCore2Duo 3,2GHz
8GB Corsair RAM

PT9 - english(either there is no German version?!)

My Problem is that it seems that when I type shortcuts on my german keys they are not working properly... For instance change mix edit window => should be "strg=" but is "strg+"
I have bought a logickeyboard with most of common SC's are on, but I think its not working...

Is there a checkbox in PT regarding the Keyboard?
Is it possible to fix this Problem anyway?

THX &BR
Andy
Old 05-26-2011, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Shortcuts on German Keyboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_ancore View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm quite new in the community and also a beginner on ProTools.

I'm running PT9 as stand alone mixer:

Win7x64 - german
IntelCore2Duo 3,2GHz
8GB Corsair RAM

PT9 - english(either there is no German version?!)

My Problem is that it seems that when I type shortcuts on my german keys they are not working properly... For instance change mix edit window => should be "strg=" but is "strg+"
I have bought a logickeyboard with most of common SC's are on, but I think its not working...

Is there a checkbox in PT regarding the Keyboard?
Is it possible to fix this Problem anyway?

THX &BR
Andy
You need to go to windows 7 language settings and add US English keyboard language.
You can then toggle between the two languages by pressing Alt Shift (if i remember correctly).
You will see in the bottom right corner of your desktop where it says DE i think, it should say ENG when you use pro tools for the correct hotkeys.
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/
Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 AM

Similar problem here, that is why bumping this thread :

OS language German , PC i7 3930 , Win 7 Pro 64bit,
PT 10.3.7HD, German language.
Logickeyboard for PC , German layout QWERTZ.

Problem :
The "Ö" key has associated the shortcut "Move Edit Selection down" on the Logickeyboard.
(On this key is written "Ö" + "Move Edit Sel down" + a bold arrow down)
Pressing "Ö" when renaming a clip results correctly in "Ö".
Pressing "Ö" to move an edit selection down results wrongly in "Cycle through Edit Modes".
Switching OS language to EN English (USA),
now pressing "Ö" results in ";" while renaming a clip
and correctly to "Move Edit Selection down".

Switching OS language working in PT for such common tasks is unacceptable.
It is like a witch trial.

There are no special drivers on the website of Logickeyboard,
Windows installed the Logickeyboard with a Microsoft driver.

What did I miss ???

Appreciate your help,
Joachim
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 12-17-2013, 08:25 AM

Update :
"ß" does also not produce the imprinted shortcut.

Spoke to Logickeyboard, they say, Avid is responsible for the mapping.

Any German PT user can help ?
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 AM

Unbelievable that there still is not even a list with keyboard shortcuts for german keyboards available (nothing changed over the last decade then..). Or is there a list which I missed?
I figured out the shortcuts for a german keyboard doing trial and error. I made a list that I have to search every time I have to use Pro Tools.

best, good luck
Old 04-15-2014, 08:08 AM

You mean like : "#" is doing "nudge later by next bigger nudge value" , instead of "-" (right next to ".") ?

On an US layout, "M" "," "." "/" are nicely assigned for nudging, the same keys on a German layout are "M" "," "." "-" ; with the last one ("-") not doing its job.
Funnily , on a German Mac , "M" "," "." "-" works like the US keys.

And thanks for "bumping" the thread, I did not dare; still looking for a German Logickeyboard Windows user ... .

Last edited by joachim; 04-15-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Forgot thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critza View Post
You will see in the bottom right corner of your desktop where it says DE i think, it should say ENG when you use pro tools for the correct hotkeys.
That defeats the purpose of being able to write clip names with German letters like "Ö" , "Ä" , "Ü".
"Automatically switch Input language" in the prefs should provide that (commands US , typing German), but doesn't.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
That defeats the purpose of being able to write clip names with German letters like "Ö" , "Ä" , "Ü".
"Automatically switch Input language" in the prefs should provide that (commands US , typing German), but doesn't.
That´s what I realized with my logickeyboard too! I tried different combinations with the language settings in windows and in pro tools, bnut I can´t get this to work. I mailed with Poul from logickeyboard. He understands the dilemma, but says it has to be fixed by avid.
I have a hotkey matrix from DNA musiclabs too and they made a qwertz-setup-file (very nice support!), but they have the problem to translate shortcuts that use letters or special characters like for example "\" that are reached with ALT GR on the german layout. This shortcuts can´t really be translated to the german keyboard. I´m lucky that most - and these are the important ones - of the hotkey matrixs 144 keys work.

I have not much hope that
Old 09-19-2014, 04:30 AM

Poul is a nice guy, but logickeyboard does not do the mapping.
The seller of my keyboard in Berlin mailed 2 months ago : we are trying to get into contact with Avid. Nothing heard yet again.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:46 AM

To my mind this is definitely not related to the Logickeyboard or any other keyboard manufacturer. Using a standard PC keyboard I have exactly the same behavior.

As I am working a lot on Windows I have my own workflow with using the wrong shortcuts (this would definitely suck if you own a Pro Tools keyboard) but I am more and more working outside and they all prefer macs where the shortcuts also work on German OS language. So my whole workflow got disturbed by different shortcuts.

According to the manual the “Auto switch input language” should do this. Even more, if not enabled the shortcuts and the text typing should be in English! However, disabled or enabled – both stay in German.
So I would say this is a bug Avid has to fix but I saw that this non-working feature was added in some v8 update and now I am on v10 (don’t know about v11). What’s going on here?!

As a workaround (not really satisfying):
Add an English keyboard in Windows regional setting.
Let the language toolbar show up in Windows taskbar.
Start Pro Tools and use the language toolbar to change to English or back to German if desired for text typing.

Windows will remember the language setting as long as Pro Tools keeps running. By minimizing Pro Tools or changing to another application window or back to desktop it will switch to German. So you don’t have to touch any setting when changing from Pro Tools to your e-mail app for example.

This made me repair my workflow with the right shortcuts. As I don’t use ä ö ü or ß in track or file names I can keep Pro Tools at English setting. – or _ is where the ß usually is and that’s all I need.

Just for info and to push this thread!
Gandlz