Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 AM

Default Waves Vocal Rider - Setup

This might be a stupid question, but I am a bit confused.

When I want the Vocal Rider to be "controlled" by the music how do I set that up. I assign a bus from each track and select it in the side chain input - somehow it's not possible to select a stereo sidechain - is that right? I can only select a mono bus.

It seems as if the Vocal Rider only reacts to it's own signal and not the sidechain signal - what could I do wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 03-13-2010, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Waves Vocal Rider - Setup

I think sidechains react the same way as the mixer. So if you are inserting the plugin on a mono track, just as you would not be able to select a stereo bus as input, you can't select it as a sidechain input, either.

Sending all your sources (both mono and stereo) via mono to create a sidechain bus would obviously create an unbalanced mix, but the overall changes in RMS should still dictate the same changes in dynamics in your mix.... all you have to do is adjust the music sensitivity and target thresholds to taste.

Is the LED next to the "Music" knob lighting up after you set up your sidechain?
Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Waves Vocal Rider - Setup

I am inserting it on a stereo track and I'm only able to select mono-busses. Yes the led lights up - it's green - would it be possible to send a screenshot of your setting.

Do I have to use send-busses or do I have to buss all channels into the sidechain?