Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Unhappy Clicks and Pops in PT 10

I'm having an issue where I'm getting clicks and pops and audio occasionally cutting in and out in PT 10 while only using the line/inst inputs on my interface during record and playback. I'm using the Guitar Rig Session I/O. I tested the Mic Input and everything works fine. I was also using this interface with PT 9 on earlier versions of OSX Lion without any problems.

Recently I upgraded to Pro Tools 10.1.3 and OSX Lion 10.7.3 and have the latest driver installed for the Guitar Rig Session I/O and started to encounter this problem. I also did a clean install of Lion 10.7.3 and then a clean install of PT 10 and upgrade to 10.1.3. I've tried different instrument cables and guitars into the inputs, and have tried both recording to the internal hard drive in my iMac and an external firewire drive with no success. I know an issue like this is usually common to a clocking problem. But I don't have any external gear synced to it as it's not even capable of it. When I use it for playback to listen to music in iTunes everything works fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Clicks and Pops in PT 10

Do you use low-latency monitoring option? What is your buffer value?
This could happen if the buffer is low and the computer cannot cope with the task. Also, check the system usage window if you can see any unexpected cpu spikes.

For starter, you can try to reduce the number of dedicated processors as n -1, means if you have 4 cores, reduce it to 3.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:54 PM

It's probably due to the issues raised by tamasdragon. However, it might be worth checking that Pro Tools is still sending and receiving from your audio interface ('settings' > 'I/O') - I was having all sorts of problems recently and went looking for the source to find that Pro Tools had changed itself to using an aggregate audio instead of my M-Box Pro. I called it a bitch, changed it back, and everything started working properly again.

Good luck - it's such a shame when a great recording gets ruined by nasty little noises.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I adjust the buffer and brought my processors down from 2 to 1. Then pro tools had an unexpected quit. So I re opened it and checked. I believe it was still set the same but I noticed the Ignore Errors box was checked and that says it can cause clicks and pops. I could have sworn I never checked that and I don't believe it is by default with a fresh install. Anyway... I unchecked that and just set everything back to normal. 2 processors and bumped the buffer from 64 to 128.

No more problems....Actually....I can set the buffer to 32 and still have no problems. So I don't know lol....I'm at a loss for words really