Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 03-15-2001, 11:33 AM

Default Knowledgeable help sought

Hi,
I recently downloaded and installed the ProTools Free on my machine. It installed fine, and I restarted. But when I launched the program, I got the Bluescreen of Death, saying Fatal error OE in VXD VXDLDR.VXD. Ok, great. So I restarted, and this time as soon as Win98 splash screen came up, it did the same thing. After 3 hours of trying to correct it, I finally had to extract VXDLDR.VXD from the original CAB files, and replace it, because it was no longer on my machine!
I haven't seen any other related posts, so I don't know if it is a fluke, but I am hesitant to try running the install again (I uninstalled, which may be how the file was deleted??). Any feedback is appreciated!
My system is:
Win98 (dual boot with win2k)
Dual P3 600
Supermicro motherboard
128MB Ram
Dual monitor, 1 3D Labs VX1, 1 Matrox Millineum
SIIG Firewire card
USB Zip & Microtek Scanner
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Platinum
ModemBlaster ISA

It is a shame, I am itching to try out what I'm sure is a great tool!

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2001, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Knowledgeable help sought

Mike: (semi long post)
Just a thought on something to try. I had the same problem..well, it kept crashing and rebooting just as the plug-ins started loading. Digidesign advised(on the DUC) tomake sure I had the latest driver update from Soundblaster. I have the SB Live Value card. You probably have the latest, but it might be worthwhile checking Creative's website. After I installed, PT Free loaded successfully. Try checking past posts on the DUC using keywords like crashed and see what else you bring up. Also, check compatability issues elsewhere on the Digi website. It might have something to do with drivers or hardware you have enabled. For sure you should turn off Auto Insert Notification on your CD Rom/drives, and enable DMA on your audio harddrive. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2001, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Knowledgeable help sought

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to re-install the blaster ware again and retry. I had the Auto-Insert off already, so that's ok. My drives are 3 Ultrastar 10k rpm SCSI's that give me 33MB a sec, so DMA is no issue.

Guess I'll see what happens upon re-install.....

Keep 'yer fingers crossed!

Thanks again