Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 05-24-2012, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Control Surface For Protools 10 Mackie Pro Control or Avid Artist Control

The Artist Control has "On" buttons instead of "Mute" buttons, which light up when the channel is NOT muted, and do not light up when the channel IS muted .... the exact opposite of the Pro Tools software.

Someone really thought that one through.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Control Surface For Protools 10 Mackie Pro Control or Avid Artist Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
The Artist Control has "On" buttons instead of "Mute" buttons, which light up when the channel is NOT muted, and do not light up when the channel IS muted .... the exact opposite of the Pro Tools software.

Someone really thought that one through.
I know, that's annoying but it's the way british desks work and Euphonix is a UK company. Still I wish we could at least have the option of reversing the button lights.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 AM

I loved my Mackie Control, but starting around PT9, seems to me, anything HUI became very unreliable. If I was a conspiracy nut, I'd say Avid wrote in code to screw up HUI mode, to try and get people to buy other control surfaces...

So I'd skip HUI, it's dead protocal, will never be expanded or improved upon.

What about the Command 8? Very similar to a Mackie Control.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
I know, that's annoying but it's the way british desks work and Euphonix is a UK company. Still I wish we could at least have the option of reversing the button lights.
An SSL 4k, 6k or 9k does not work that way, nor does a Neve VR. Both british consoles. Avid should simply make a v2 with mutes that match Pro Tools.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
snip... If I was a conspiracy nut, I'd say Avid wrote in code to screw up HUI mode, to try and get people to buy other control surfaces... snipl.
You mean like the way Pro Control will now hard crash Pro Tools v10 in fader-flip mode if the bus name is beyond 8 characters in length ?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I loved my Mackie Control, but starting around PT9, seems to me, anything HUI became very unreliable. If I was a conspiracy nut, I'd say Avid wrote in code to screw up HUI mode, to try and get people to buy other control surfaces...

So I'd skip HUI, it's dead protocal, will never be expanded or improved upon.

You couldn't be more wrong there.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Avid artist control is 100x better then any mackie based controller. You can program buttons to it that only icons have had up until now for about 25000 dollars less.
Sorry but I have to disagree with you.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lberrios1962 View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree with you.
How so?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
I'm using a Command|8 and a Euphonix Artist Control. They complement each other.
As I bought the Artist Control I thought the Command|8 could retire but it's still necessary for my workflow. Especially the faders move much smoother than the Euphonix ones. It seems like the Digi/Avid controllers have better quality and are optimized for Pro Tools.
Both have their advantages, here are some examples:
-C8 bank switches are reflected in the software, Artist controllers can't
-Artist controllers can lock faders, C8 can't.
-Artist Control has a lot of useful commands on its touchscreen
-C8 has fader flip (especially useful for plug-in editing), Artist Control hasn't

I'm not sure if a C24 would serve me much better. The Euphonix concept is ideal for my workflow but there are still too many issues.

Kind regards

Mark