Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2002, 05:55 PM

Default songs recorded on the 001

greetings,

for those interested, here are two tracks recorded with no other hardware other than my G4 400, 001, some cruddy computer speakers, a pair of AKG K240's, and a few half assed mics.

http://www.mp3.com/God_Is_I

feel free to fully critique here, i would greatly appreciate it. i have posted here in the past and took your words into serious consideration before, during, and after this project. thanks.

ortiz.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:00 AM

Default Re: songs recorded on the 001

Ok.

Need a hug? Everythings gonna be alright, bro.

JK. Although not what Im currently into at the moment, the guitar sound you got is pretty impressive. Were you pleased with it? The production sounds competitive with most Ive heard in this genre. The drums/percussion wasnt what I expected. All I can add is maybe have the snare/toms cut a bit more. Maybe spend some more time EQing them. Id like to hear the snare a little snappier. Maybe a little more kit in the overall mix. Maybe some volume automation on those toms @ the beginning, before the main vocal (verse) comes in and anywhere else you find appropriate. Let them be heard. Use the vol. automation in the mix window to single out and add a few db on those.

Or maybe I dont know what Im talking about, but I think thats what I would do, w/o being too technical. Sounds good though. Good job. Cool Latin thing there too. Ill put this with my other mp3's from the DUC.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:53 AM

Some people need to have everything roar and make growly noises. I understand this, perplexing as it may be.Listening to System of a Down might give you some insight on how to do this more creatively. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD
Old 06-24-2002, 04:18 AM

Hehehe, good music for 4am. That should wake me up for sure.

I was quite impress by the overall quality of the mix. I don't have critics, merely suggestions and observations, take 'em or leave 'em.

The guitars are way hot (I guess you knew that). Sometimes, lowering them a bit might actually leave some space for the vocals and the drums and bring some punch to your track. I can't hear the bass. I think a better balance between the guitars and the bass could give you something tighter, more powerful and more punchy. You might also want to play around with the panning of your guitars, they sounded very disctinctly panned to me. Sometimes, centering them a bit will once again make the track sound tighter.

I'd add some "air" on the vocals, some presence. Right now the mix has the guitars right in front, the drums way behind, the singer even farther and the bass in another country.

But the track is already massive, so it has a powerful potential. Have a happy and sunny day. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

6am eternal
Old 06-24-2002, 04:07 PM

i check out this forum just about everyday, and protools consumes 95% of my thoughts. i appreciate you cats taking out time to check this stuff out, and the feedback.

we all need a hug from time to time thou (even thou i just got married - that's probably why im all wishy washy). all of you DAW fanatics push me harder.

as you probably have realized, the reason the guitars are so loud is because i am one of the guitarists myself. loud drums drive hard music, and i do feel they are a bit buried, with the vocals as well.

thanx again.

word is that pras from the fugees is really diggin our stuff and is passing it around. funny **** .